Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We started late on Saturday. My middle son had a game and then by the time everyone got to our house I have to feed them lunch. Then everyone got started. Well that is just the start of our Saturday we went thru three ogers(SP) the things that dig the nice holes. Well one didn't have the right kind of oil/gas mix in it. (don't ask :oops: :? :( ) But then they set all the post and this is what it looks like right now on Sunday. I will show you what it looks like done when we get it done.

Ok I know this is a overload of pictures. But I have one more of my son trying to help my husbands best friend. It is so cute. He just wanted to help them so bad. (He did a little but it is hard to find something for a little guy to do.)

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
looking great. Having a fence for us makes having 2 doods a breeze. make sure to check all escape routes, including between the fence boards and under the bottom rail. We learned that the hard way.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Very cool! Boy, Cacao is gonna go NUTS when the fence is done and she can run around! Doodle 500 marathons!! :D

·
Registered
398 Posts
Ahh the memories of being the tool caddy. I also wanted to help my father out in any project he was doing. That was often my job, tool caddy.

I am sooo excited for your getting your new fence. :D

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
WOw that is so exciting...you're putting in a new fence!!! Which i am sure will make life easier with both your doodle and your boys.

I love my yard except for the part : we don't have a fenced in area yet hahhaaaa

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I remember the first day with the fence.....Jonah and Miko were in 7th heaven. no more tangled tie-out....many more doodle500's and chase me, bet you can't catch me games. And the freedom for dad......priceless!! Of course the downside was I had to start watching where they pooped!! :wink:

G

·
So will the fence be in before the pup arrives? I love having my fenced in yard. But as K todd said watch the doods carefully while they are out there for a while. Maya dug under mine once and escaped. That was after 6 mos of keeping her back there while I was gone. I do a daily "hole check" to make sure there are no escapes being planned!!!

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Heather the guy are going to try 2. But I am getting so excited and I know i was driving them crazy this weekend. But I hope it will be done on Thursday at the latest. But my husbands best friend he could finish it Saturday. So I don't know. At the latest Saturday. But it will just be nice to have a fence whenever it gets done.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I think the hardest part is putting in the posts... so hope the rest flys by!

Can't wait to see doodle 500's inside the new fenced in yard!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Yep, the posts are the hardest work. Once you get those in the rest goes up quickly (provided you've put the posts in the right spots).

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Oh, Wow!! I am very jealous.....!!!

We were supposed to have a new fence up by now....while it was cooler and therefore easier....
But one thing and another...like all our help (one, or some, of 6 guys was either, sick with severe poison ivy, viruses, or out of town....or it rained every other weekend when everyone was available!! Now it is going to be 98 and 100 the next few days and then rain this weekend...
Maybe it will happen soon....or maybe they will decide to wait until fall.

The old one is about to fall over, so we really need to get busy.
We will rent an auger, ( sp?) too....I just hope when it finally happens that all goes well.

Looks like yours is coming together nicely! You will love it when it is finished. We had to put railroad ties or something like that along the bottom in places where our old dog liked to dig. It helped. Put some
poop in the hole if you have a digger...they'll usually quit then.

Hope all continues smoothly!
8)

·
Registered
141 Posts
We're going to be replacing our fence soon too. It's about 8 years old and when Charlie puys his feet up on it (we have a 4ft fence right now), the whole thing leans over. I have rigged it up the best I can for now, but it really needs to be replaced. It shouldn't be too hard because I'll just reuse the same holes.

Are you guys cementing your posts in? We're going to a 6' fence and I was thinking of using cement to give the posts some extra strength. Maybe not the depth of the entire hole, but maybe the top foot or so.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
YES! You must cement the posts in....You actually pour the dry cement into the hole and fill it up and then you add however much water and let them set for a day. It won't hold for long if you only try to do the top.
I want my new fence to last the next 20 years, If i can keep the carpenter ants out of it!!

8)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
winf73 do NOT put concrete at that level....it will later on cause the fence to warp as the ground heaves which pushes the concrete up.
Just like how a rock suddenly appears each spring.

MY EX didn't pour concrete at the Base of the Posts when he built our gigantic pool deck....he put it about a foot or so from the ground.

my pool deck ...let's put it this way, I tell people have a couple of drinks and it'll will start to feel level again :wink:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I'll fill the whole hole with cement then. How much of the bag do you use per hole?

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well we are dug really nice wholes and put the post in with the cement. My husbands best friend (the skinny guy in the pictures) does this for a living. So I will post some more pictures tonight.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts