1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we are moving to central oregon.
My hubby tells me there are NOT fleas or ticks there and
we won't need to buy Howdy anymore Frontline or Heartworm
preventative? Does anyone know the real story? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I don't know about the fleas but, heartworm is transmitted by mosquitoes, not fleas. I hope someone else knows about the fleas. :)

·
Registered
434 Posts
I live in Oregon...although I have only been here 1 year and we live between Salem and Corvallis....sort of coastal, but my vet always checks my dog for fleas so I assume they could be a problem....I buy the stuff in case. I'll call them and ask them what they think about the winter months and get back to this post...Leslie

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oregon fleas

I called a vets office in Bend, they said they only recomend heartguard.
that fleas that come in to oregon die when they get there...............
interesting, huh?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hmmm, Patty, I have never heard of that...but your vet would be the expert, of course!

I did a Google search and found this about fleas in Oregon (they are found in western Oregon) http://www.oregonvma.org/petowners/fleas.asp

Also this from the Oregon University... http://www.ent.orst.edu/urban/Fleas.html

And this about ticks in Oregon.

I personally would not take a chance...the treatment is easy, usually harmless, and very effective...

When we moved into an older home (we had NO animals of ANY type at the time) we had a HORRIBLE flea infestation! For some reason the hatched after we had been in the home for about a year...and we had the pest control people baffled...they treated our home and yard for over 6 months and were finally able to get rid of them! It was such a nightmare.

So, since I had such a horrifying experience, I can't recommend letting nature take it's course...as long as there is a possibility of flea infestation, I'd treat my dog.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't know about Central Oregon, but my parents live in Southeastern Washington just a few miles from the Oregon border in the dry side of the state. We took Archie for a hike last summer and he came back covered with ticks. Of course he was on medication and they died if they bit him, but still, it was disgusting.

When he was a puppy and we took him for his first vet appt., she asked if we would be traveling to that Eastern Washington, and was very clear that he needed the flea and tick medication plus heartworm.

I would guess Central OR might have similar conditions.

When you find a vet there, they will have current information for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts