Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting a full-time Nursing Program in mid-January and will be gone at least 6 hrs., 5 days per week, will have studying on top of that, have three kids (14, 17, 20) and a husband at home and all the chores that go along with that. (The nursing program is four semesters and each semester is four months with summer breaks and winter breaks so it is somewhat temporary. Then after I graduate, I only want to work two days/week)

Doc is 10 months old, Sarah (toy poodle) is 7 yrs. old. Doc and Sarah don't get along that well. Doc chases her (I think he wants to play but, then enjoys the chase when she runs away). I am the only one who takes care of Doc and everyone else is "bothered" by his puppy ways. I am worried about Doc getting bored while I'm gone and I will have to spend alot of time studying. I am contemplating 3 things. 1. Keeping things the same and seeing how it goes 2. getting another young (not too young) dog that Doc could play with (probably against the wishes of my family but, I might be able to convince them. or 3. finding a home for Doc where he would have a playmate and more attention. I have run into a few people who already have dogs but say they would love to get a labradoodle so I don't think it would be too hard to place him (but, I love him and don't really want to give him up but, want to do what's best for him) :?

I would appreciate any input. (He would be at home while I am gone, restricted to the hallway, laundry room, and garage with a pet door to the yard.)

·
Registered
424 Posts
It would be sad for you to have to give up the dog for a temporary situation. Once you have graduated and are back to 2 days per week you will really miss him. Is there any opportunity for doggie daycare in your area? That way he can run and play with other dogs all day while you are at school, with the bonus of being all tired out in the evenings when you have to study.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would love to be able to have him in doggy daycare. It's really, really expensive around here though. (Seems like everything is more in So. California!) You are right about the temporary situtation, though! Thanks.

G

·
I heard a very good answer to a similar question:
Getting another dog will not make things easier or better for you.
Yes, your puppy will have a playmate, but you will have 2X as much work! 2x the amount of pick up duty, 2x the number of walks needed if they can't walk well together, 2x the vet bills, and 2x the cost of pet sitting when vacation finally rolls around. :lol:
And the family not being there to support you won't make things any easier. You are going to be VERY BUSY with school for a short period of time. Don't add unnecessary stress at this time. Doc will adjust!
Just my opinion, of course! :lol:
Good Luck!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Kim-
I'm in nursing school right now, so I can relate!! It is crazy! If it were me, I would just keep Doc. I don't think its ever a good idea to get another dog for your dog. It should be if YOU want another dog. I know it seems like it would be nice for Doc to have a playmate, having two young dogs is a lot of work! It will be more time consuming to train the new dog than it will be to take care of Doc. And if your family isn't totally on board with the idea, it will be you that is ultimately responsible for the dogs' care. Doc is still really young, and I really think getting another young dog and not having the time to train him or her is a recipe for disaster. Your once loving, calm, extremely well behaved Doc will turn into a MONSTER with another dog his age. They will play constantly! And they pick up on each other's bad habits, even if you don't think they have any. Mine are 4 months apart- Summer is 19 months and Duke is 15 months. I love them dearly, and I did get them before I started nursing school, but it is still just craziness. Keeping them well exercised and well trained takes quite a bit of time every day.
My personal opinion is that you should wait. Nursing school is a lot to deal with, and you're right about being gone that often. That's an absolute minimum. It's not so much about the time you spend in class and clinical, but you will spend hours a day studying. Doc will absolutely adjust to your schedule, as long as he is still getting SOME attention and exercise. But I think adding another dog right now is just too much! But, that's just my opinion. You can take it or leave it :D I wish you the best of luck!

Oh, I also wanted to add- If dog day care is out of the question, could you get a dog walker to come in 3x a week or something like that? Even a high school kid would work- it doesn't have to be a pro dog walker. I was a dog walker during high school- for people who just didn't have time to exercise their dogs. If Doc has someone come and get him out of the house, he will be physically and mentally tired, and he won't need as much attention from you. Or even one of your kids? Nursing school requires a lot of adjustment in everyone's schedules. My boyfriend has had to do a lot more around the house as far as cooking, cleaning, understanding why he's eating frozen pizza for dinner :) I would start preparing your family now!

Bridget, Summer, and Duke

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Linda and Bridget for your input. It makes perfect sense. I'm so glad I asked the question. Thanks alot!

Bridget - It's good to know you are in nursing school and you know what it will be like. You give me hope that if you and Summer and Duke can do it, so can Doc and I. I have told my 20 year old, who is also in college but living at home, that he is going to HAVE to make time to take Doc for a walk once a day (and I will try to take him once a day, too, so he will get two walks). The reason I got Doc in the first place was because my 20 year old son wanted him, but, I knew I would be majorly involved, too. But, as it has turned out, Trevor has a busy schedule and is not home much. Trevor likes to go for runs, but, Doc is not yet able to participate. I heard you should wait until dogs are around 18 months before they start running. Doc is not big on running either, so , I don't know if he'll ever be able to go running with Trevor.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
not thinking another dog is a good idea.

I worked full time and had dogs. it can be done if you want to. 10 months old is so close to grown up. ultimately its your decision of course, but I vote no on another dog. (listen to me I am a breeder lol) Get through school, get settled in a job and then get another dog when YOU want to, not as a playmate!

and by the way good luck with school!

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks movistar. It looks like all of you are in agreement. (I'm secretly glad that the consensus is to not get another dog. :D ) I just thought that Doc might be happier with a buddy rather than staying by himself for so long. He WILL have Sarah (toy poodle) around but, they are not really buddies. He's pretty independent and doesn't mind when I leave him for a few hours and he does not get destructive. Now I think it will just be a matter of making sure he gets exercised at least once a day.

I appreciate everyone's input! :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
I second everyone input - the second dog should be for you. I have had Rue for six years and just recently got Kanga (my doodle). She's four months old now, and while they are getting along better and better (I'm sure one day they'll be inseperable), there are times where Rue wants nothing more than for her to be put in her cage so he can relax. For a long-term friend, I think it's great - but YOU have to want it.

I have to say, I disagree that it's twice the work though. It definitely is more work, but considering the fact that they do everything together, some is mitigated. (They both eat at the same time, go outside together, etc.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts