Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had Oliver for exactly a week, and have received awful news from the breeder. 2 of his littler mates have been diagnosed with Parvo. I am so nervous and angry. I did so much research and thought that I asked all of the right questions finding the right breeder. They are taking full responsibility for the sick puppies.... I don't know what to think.

He is showing absolutely no signs of illness. His appetite is intact, his stool is solid, he is playful, and there is no vomiting. I am calling the Vet first thing Monday morning to see if there is anything I can do. The puppy did come with a health guarantee, but that is not the point.

I guess that I don't really have a question. But if anybody has any words of wisdom, or advice, it would be greatly appreciated. He has been vaccinated, but I know that isn't a sure thing, and if was exposed before the vaccination, it is worthless.

Thanks,
Adam

G

·
Some info below. It looks like if Oliver can get thru this week without symptoms he should not get it:

With proper treatment approximately 85% of affected puppies will live.

The virus may persist in the environment for up to 5 months.

Infection generally follows exposure to infected feces.

The incubation period for the illness is 4 to 14 days.

The major clinical signs are vomiting and diarrhea. The diarrhea is usually yellow to yellow gray at first but quickly becomes blood tinged or dark red in most cases

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Oh no, those poor pups! Thank goodness the breeder notified you and is taking responsibility. Let us know what the vet says.

Hugs & prayers

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Sending the best well wishes I can and hope the vet clears him
of anything, so sorry about the other pups and hope all you get is good news about Oliver............

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Oh, NO!! :shock:
Sure hope Oliver somehow avoids coming down with this!

Sounds like it is possible that he could completely escape the
dreaded Parvo!! It is hideous!
I will wait with the others to hear what
the vet has to say. I am praying for good news!!
8)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I will say some prayers Parvo doesn't affect him and all is okay

and glad the breeder notified you so you can bring Oliver to the vets

for (((((((((((you and Oliver))))))))))))))

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
AJWhiting said:
The puppy did come with a health guarantee, but that is not the point.
Somehow that health guarantee doesn't mean much when you're looking at your little sweetheart, eh?

It's good news that Oliver doesn't have any symptoms. Like the others, I'm hoping he managed to avoid the disease. Let us know what your vet says.

Deb

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
DebBrown said:
AJWhiting said:
The puppy did come with a health guarantee, but that is not the point.
Somehow that health guarantee doesn't mean much when you're looking at your little sweetheart, eh?
Deb
EXACTLY!

We discovered Bogie has Giardia, Coccidia and hookworm!!! What were we going to do? Take him back? Not after the work & love we put into him already!
This is really a pain in the rear for us & him...........he hasn't had a solid stool yet and is on constant meds since 5 days after we got him.
I totally, totally understand how you feel!!
I really hope poor little Oliver doesn't have Parvo. Lets take all the good, healthy signs he has a positive!! If the others are showing it, he most likely would be by now too.
Prayers that little Oliver is okay!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Lindamarie , I PM"d you a fairly good customized bland diet that may aid in digestion, soothe Bogies intestinal tract and aid in firmer poops and better health. Please update me later on and let me know how he does

and also would love an UPDATE on Oliver after he's taken to the vets

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Adam, I'm sorry to hear the news! I hope Oliver stays healthy and that his litter mates recover. Wishing for good news from the vet tomorrow. Cali sends hugs and kisses too.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You guys are amazing. I feel silly welling up and getting emotional looking at a computer screen, but all of your well wishes mean a lot to me.

We are watching Oliver so closely, and he is a happy and healthy puppy as of now. I will be sure to post again when I speak to the vet in the morning.

Thank you all again, so much.

Adam

G

·
Adam

We are pulling for you. It is a good thing that he is happy and healty. Hopefully he will stay that way for a long long time!!!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Adam, friendships formed online can be every bit as loving and supportive as those in "real life". I have several very close online friends who have become like family to me. One has been like a sister to me for almost 11 years. We've only been able to meet once and spent 3 days together... but we're closer than I am with my own family members.

It's very hard to explain to anyone who's not experienced it, but it's fact. You're found a very caring, wonderful group of animal lovers here, so I know their concern for you and your pup are genuine.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Adam this forum is amazing............
I have felt that way from the beginning as I was made to feel
so welcome and so I (we) like to return the kindness as the people
here really do get the dog connection that we all feel whereas some
folk in our lives may not get it at all..............

More prayers for Oliver coming your way
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

1 - 20 of 71 Posts