Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My OES has been eating poop and now Oliver is starting to do it. Help!!!!! I have given Abby that powder from the vets but it didn't help at all and now my doodle is doing it. Any suggestions?

G

·
Could be overfeeding or underfeeding: If not already, try feeding twice a day. Check amounts. (Overfeeding means the food does not digest and it couls still taste good...ick...or underfeeding means he is just hungry...ick, too :lol: )

Try adding a tablespoon of canned pineapple to their diet. It makes the poop smell bad.

Your doodle is just copying the behavior. He now thinks he is supposed to do that.

Distract them with treat immediately after they poop and clean it up fast.

They could be trying to keep their area clean or trying to 'hide' themselves from 'predators'.

Could be a vitamin or mineral deficiency?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
poop eating

Thanks for the input. I know why Abby does it. She feels threatened with another dog in the house and now just this morning I saw Oliver doing it for the first time at 5 months old. He didn't do it up until now. When it's -4 out, it's hard to stand outside and wait for them to go potty to clean it up. I'll try the pinapple next. It's hard to get doggy kisses when you know what just went in there!!!!! LOL Thanks, Nancy

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just happened to overhear a conversation last week at the vet's about poop eating. The vet said there is no good reason, and that the "make the poop taste bad" remedies seldom work (like, just how is it that it tastes good to begin with?). Basically, she had no good answer to the problem. So I guess I'm not much help! I agree, cleaning up is the best solution. Thanksfully, neither Darwin nor Dylan have this habit. :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
One of my dogs will eat (or maybe just chew on) poopsicles (poop that is frozen). She leaves unfrozen poop alone. I really need to watch her when she comes in as she will try to bring her poopsicle into the house to chew on in comfort. It is just gross.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Some dogs just do it.........My next door neighbors dog would eat his own...YUK!!
I don't think there's much one can do, especially if it's their own. Rufus would dump & eat before it could be cleaned up. I don't know of a logical explanation.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
neither do I ...there are THEORIES but no hard core facts

maybe it's like why some kids will play with their own poop and others dont?

G

·
I have never known any kids that have played with thier own poop!!! Ok I just had to say that back to the topic on hand.

Maya will eat deer, rabbit and cat poo that is outside. So far she has stayed out of the cat box. I think the litter I use deters her from that.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Noodle doesn't eat her own poop ... but she loves horsey poop. Especially the draft horses for some reason. It's so gross and I try to catch her doing it and stop the behavior but she sneaks them out of the wheelbarrow. It's so gross!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Maya will eat deer, rabbit and cat poo that is outside.
Dexter does this too...well deer and rabbit at least. He leaves dog poop alone though. It's a pain when we take him hiking - the one park near us has a million deer and a ton of poop!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Tanner's favorite is duck and goose poop...hard to avoid at the park..looks like a minefield, at least it's vegetarian :wink:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
One explanation may be that the food you are feeding is not being properly digested so the poop contains--FOOD! This subject came up on a Raw feeding board. The person who's dog was eating poop was switched to a Raw diet=poop eating stopped! I'm not promoting Raw feeding so I'd suggest looking into switching your feed. BTW (here's the pitch LOL)on the Raw diet there is a remarkably smaller amount of undigested material=LESS POOP TO CLEAN UP :wink:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
This is really very common. At first I was shocked and sick at the thought but then I watched as litter after litter had tiny pups eating poop! Yuck! So, I researched it...you see, the mother dog eats the puppie's poop to clean up their surrounding. The pups see her do it. Like all other things, they mimic what mama does.
It is not bad to the canines, only to us humans.
Most dogs outgrow the problem at around 6 months of age. But some do continue. All you can do is try to teach "leave it" commands and steer the dog away from any temptation while on walks. With only one dog, a person could keep on top of the poop pick up, but with more than one dog or cat, it is almost impossible.
I have never found anything that works to deter them either...but they do outgrow it, most of the time. :wink:

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I don't know what's wrong with me today! Just putting off the inevitable house cleaning I guess.

Miko wanted me to post this for awareness. She says we humans need to get over the stigma attached to what we call the "grossness" of poop eating......

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Oh Miko you sweet faced girl..........
Your Dad is funny.............
I used to eat cat poop and for some silly reason my Mom
did not appreciate when I would wake her up in the middle of the night
with a beard full of cat litter and lovely cat poop breath
Sheeshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh humans
My Mom blocked off all the litter boxes so I have not had any cat poop in months.........................

Woof woof

Denver

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hahahaa I LOVE That pic of MIKO hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!
hhahaaaaaaaaaaaa i can't stop laughing here!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts