Labradoodle Forums banner

Older Pup

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Max 
#1 ·
We are picking up our new pup this weekend, he is about 8 months old (older than most “new” pups). This is not a re-home situation and we will be his first family (other than the breeder). The delay in the adoption is mostly related to our needs. The breeder has held him for us and also began training him (crate, house, lead, off lead, socialization, etc.) so we have not missed an important time to teach him all he needs to know early.

Given his age, I am a little nervous of the transition to his new family and home. Has anyone else adopted an “older” pup that can share their experience? Any suggestions to ease the transition?

#2 ·
Hi Newtimer,

we adopted Maggie at age 9 months. She is the sister/littermate of our Pacha (who we got at age 7 weeks!). She also stayed at the breeder until we adopted her, and was mostly untrained :!: (not even housebroken). The first couple days she was terrified of the new situation, but since then has done really well. She's even more dependant and loving than Pacha, probably because she hadn't received as much attention in her old situation as she does now.

Anyways, the conclusion is that it's been nothing but a satisfying experience, so I'm sure you and your doodle will be fine! :)

best of luck,

Michael.

#5 ·
Jac, the process is going very well. Like Cinsmom, our new pup is acutally very cautious. He is still getting a feel for us, gladly, he has taken very well to my wife and daughters. He still is trying to figure me out. I am the big bad guy who took him from his old family and I am the one who yelled when he tried to mark a spot in our living room.

Overall all, we could not have gotten a better pup to replace our old dog. Sage is very gentle and quite, although that is changing each day as he gets to know us. He is crate trained and we usually have a difficult time getting him out in the evenings to go out before bed as he is very comfotable in there. He does love to rest his head on my daughters' laps while they pet him, which they love.

Thanks for the replies.

#6 ·
Hi. We also adopted an older pup. Wilson was 6 months when we got him in the middle of March. He was totally freaked out the first few days. We actually had to carry him in and out of the house. It was quite a milestone the first time he walked through the door by himself!

So now we're 5 weeks into life with Wilson. He's totally adapted to the family, loves the kids, and follows me around the house non-stop. He even likes my husband (that took a bit longer).

When we go to the park he absolutely loves other dogs. The only issues he seems to still have is that he is terrified of strangers and inanimate objects (i.e. garbage cans). I'm not sure if this is just his personality (he's very gentle and non-aggressive - easily intimidated) or something he will grow out of. He spent the first 6 months of his life on a farm, so this is a big change for him. I guess only time will tell.

#8 ·
I know I am late in this post but

We recently adopted Max, Easter Sunday, who is 8 months old. He was a rehome. He is wonderful! He has the greatest disposition and seemed to have no problems adjusting, other then a couple of accidents the first few days. He and our other dog, a goldendoodle, hit it off right away. He is great with my kids and is very obedient, happy dog. It was a lot less work then a new puppy and we are so glad to have him. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.