Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

My wife, two kids and I just purchased a labradoodle (1 week ago). We did a good deal of research before we got her and are extremely excited!

After some discussions with the breeder we decided to purchase an older puppy, she is 6 month's old. She had lived on the breeders farm for the first 6 months of her life.

Since we got her, several behaviors in the dog have us a bit concerned which we're not sure training will help...

She won't run and play, she runs when we try to pet her and she won't respond to treats or love.

Our concern is that she did not had enough domesticated interation the first 6 months of her life and that she won't come out of her shell.

So my questions are:

Is this normal?

How long does it take a dog to get comfortable with its new life?

We want to get her training and are planning to meet with some trainers later this week. However, is it possible she may not ever be the happy carefree dog we are hoping for? We are now wondering if buying an older puppy was a good idea?

Please let me know your thoughts and if you have seen or had any similar situations.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
972 Posts
It will take a little bit of time. They are not usually real socialized if they are a bit older. I adopted a LD from a shelter that lived on a farm her whole life. Not socialized, but she has come around nicely. It took about 2 weeks for her to get comfy, and then she turned into a love bug! She loves the kids, and she is wonderful! I adopted her at the age of 2, and she is now 3. I got her last July, and she is the best. I don't think you will have any problems. She just need to feel comfortable in her new home.

·
Registered
103 Posts
We also bought a 8 month old german shepherd "SHOW DOG" from a breeder and had her shipped to us. She didnt come out of her crate at all the first day, the poor girl was terrified. But She did end up coming around. She is one big baby and she is comfortable around us, but when someone new comes she is still shy. Better than she was but she is not the dog that will just run up to someone. You have to hold on to her most of the time so she wont go away from them. We were kind of disappointed because she was supposed to be my first show dog and we payed alot of money for her, but we still love her even though she doesnt do what she is expected to!
It will take a some time for your dog to come out of her shell but it will happen. Make sure you get her out and take her everywhere you can and let her get used to things. The more you do with her the better she will get!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Brian, welcome...and congratulations!

The advice you have received, and your gut reaction, are right on...in my opinion.

The most important time in a puppy's life for socialization is the first few months...unfortunately, if the puppy is not used to interaction with other dogs or people, you could have a challenge on your hands. But I believe that doods are so loving and sweet that your pup will come around....with lots of patience and love.

That being said...especially if you have children...please use a LOT of caution. As loveable as Labradoodles are, some have been known to have aggression problems. Much of the pup's personality is formed by socialization and much from breeding and genetics. Your breeder should be willing to work with you and help you understand the parents. She/he should be able to explain to you the way the pup was raised so that you will know what your challenges will be.

I always talk to my families and tell them if I have noticed any issues that I think need to be watched and/or the focus of intensive training.

Training is a major thing for you and your dog...begin now, and please don't let up...you need to work with your dog every single day. It is important in every puppy's life...especially so with your sweet new baby.

There are several good internet links to help out and many really good books, but I suggest that you find a competent trainer and work with your pup one-on-one for a while.

Please keep us posted. I wish you all the best...Keep in mind that Labradoodles are very, very sensitive to your moods and your body language...you can get your pup to come around, most likely, with lots of love and attention because they thrive on it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks for your replys!

I wanted to thank you all for your advise, we have taken it to heart and going to put it into action.

Is this timid behavior normal for a puppy at that age and background?

My wife and I are just feeling very stressed and wanting the dog to feel comfortable, not run from us and give us back love.

We're going to put her into some training starting Monday as you recommended.

Thanks again,

Brian

·
Registered
279 Posts
I agree with all the advice you've received here. I think Shannon's advice is particularly important. You and your pup may be a little overwhelmed right now, which would not be at all surprising. I would just concentrate on letting your new baby come to trust you and relax. When I got my two doods I wanted to give them all my love and attention. One of them was instantly comfortable and ready to join in in all our play. The other was more wary at first. Now they are both completely trusting and full of fun. I think it may be a little harder to go through this transition at 6 months than at 8 or 9 weeks. But you'll all figure it out. Time is your friend.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Brian,

Not to worry! I also adopted a 6 month doodle who had been raised on a farm. The first day he wouldn't come out of his crate - we had to carry him outside to 'do his business' then carry him back in. He wouldn't play with toys, wouldn't eat treats, wouldn't walk around the house, didn't respond to us at all! In the first 4 days I had him to the vet 3 times, convinced something was wrong with him.
To make a long story short, 3 months later and he is a totally different dog! He follows all of us around the house, loves his toys & treats, & loves to play fetch! Full of personality - which keeps coming out of his shell more and more every day. He's still pretty shy around other people, but we're working on it.
Just be patient and give her lots of love. She'll come around before you know it.
Also - we put him in doggie daycare 1-2 times per week pretty early on. He was really happy to be around other dogs and it helped him to socialize with other people too.
Just out of curiousity, where did you get her from?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I adopted 6 mth old Lizziedoodle from a shelter who told me the prior owners keep her completely outside & rarely played with her. Even with an extremely friendly & outgoing personality Lizzie was withdrawn & tenative for about a week. Now the only thing that stops her from ripping & roaring around the house is 2 strenous exercise periods a day!!! She knows she owns the place.

Just give your pup time & love and it will come around :)

Lizziedoddle's Mom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts