Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But as typical for me....I over react and freak about so many things!

Okay, I set his appt for June 10th after his CGC test.

I have several questions:
First, I found a vet that keeps the dogs overnight and they are there 'round the clock. That comforts me knowing he won't just be left alone but will be in good hands all night and until 4PM the next day!
Did you bring yours home that night or did he/she stay?

The above kind of goes with the next question. I am considering leaving him an extra night or 2 because I'm literally afraid he'll hurt himself here. He doesn't sleep very much in his crate any longer and has run of the house all day and half the house at night.
I am over reacting?

They say the dog will have to be confined and do nothiong for 10 days to 2 weeks! :shock: That's frightening with him being as active as he is.
How long did it take before you could at least walk yours?.....or what did you allow yours to do to make the time pass?

Thanks for any help you can give or anything you might add that I've missed. My anxiety level is high. When we had our Springer neutered........we left him there for 5 days!! hahahahaha! It was Thanksgiving weekend so it worked well. We had so much to do and he was better off there.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver came home the same day.................
Having said that every dog is a different
and Denver was very easy to care for as he just wanted to
sleep the first day or 2 after that he wanted to get back to normal
and of course that was not allowed so we just did the best we could
to keep him excerised without over doing it. We walked when
we knew other dogs would not be around and we went to more remote
places for a few days..........

G

·
Maya came home that night. She was bouncing off the walls as soon as she got home. I am upset with mysef now but I yelled at her really loud and scared her but I was afraid that she would hurt herself. I work from home and I worked in the kitchen for the week and used baby gates to confine her with me in there. She wasn't allowed to be active for 10days either. She was spay on Tuesday and she went to her puppy class on sat. I got lots of rawhides for Maya to chew on. It did not do well for her digestive issues but at least she was calm.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max came home the same day , he was pretty calm for 3 days and then went back to normal play but had limited walks and no running till 5 day

Peanut, same thing, came home same day, tried to lick it that night but i sat next to her the whole night, said NO and kept petting her
she was raring to go into action on the 3rd day hahhahaa
she too was limited on walks and runs till 5th day as well.

Linda I cried when i brought Max and peanut ...I cried with happiness when i got them home. and gave them TONS of TLC along with my family doing the same.

These doodles are like our little babies/kids and it's okay to be concerned.
Bogie will do just fine....will you? :wink:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Nicky came home the same day. He stayed quiet for about 3 days and then was back to normal. He didn't have a collar. The instruction sheet said to limit his exercise for the first week, so we didn't go for walks around the neighborhood or play ball in the backyard during that time. He was fine.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WOW! Everyone seems to have brought their dood home the same day! :shock:
My bad! I think I'll leave him at least one night.......... :roll: Especially since they'll be there 24 hours.
This vet is one we use to go to a long time ago. We stopped going because we had our weimeraner/lab put down there. We asked to have his ashes after cremation and they said we didn't! :roll: So.......he was just tossed away in mass cremation. That really upset us and we refused to pay the bill. They understood. That was about 10 years ago and the lasy that made the mistake at the vets office.................died........ :?
Anyway, it's a good place to go.
Neutering is only $182 and that includes anesthesia and one night boarding.
Some of the other vets were up to $280...and no overnight!
What does your vet charge?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
$245 w/out bloodwork...$295 w/blood work and no overnight stays and no meds.

in my area they charge anywhere from $245 to $400+ :shock:
I had called 8 places at the time to compare prices...my vet was right in line.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It wasn't a neutering, but spaying for Cacao but she came home the same day. I dropped her off and was out of the office by 8 and picked her up at 2 or 3 the same day. We tried to restrict her activity for a few days but she did not seem to be in any pain or discomfort from the time that we picked her up.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
cdru said:
It wasn't a neutering, but spaying for Cacao but she came home the same day. I dropped her off and was out of the office by 8 and picked her up at 2 or 3 the same day. We tried to restrict her activity for a few days but she did not seem to be in any pain or discomfort from the time that we picked her up.
Ya that is what my husband did....hehehehe hi honey.

·
Registered
260 Posts
kumo came home the same day as well. he was back to his normal self by the next day -- it really didn't seem to phase him at all. i really think that as long as the surgery goes as planned, you can bring him home the same day. as opposed to a spay (where they have to cut through the abdominal muscles), neutering a male is really a pretty minor incision and then tying off a couple of blood vessels. there's a really interesting vet website that includes photos of a spay and a neuter operation, and even without clicking on the photos for the up-close view you can see how the spay is more of a major procedure...

neuter: http://www.thepetcenter.com/sur/dneut.html
spay: http://www.thepetcenter.com/sur/sp.html

-em

·
Registered
156 Posts
Do you utilize any natural remedies? My yorkie at 13yrs old just went for a large mass tumor removal that was growing very rapidly. She had 75 stitches in her. I treated her with homeopathic arnica 200c before surgery and 1x a day 30c for a week after . 10 days after when she had them removed our vet could not believe how she had healed . A month later you cant
even see a scar! She was cut from top to bottom :( it was a grueling choice to make but we are happy we went through with it since she was soooo uncomfortable.

I will say i remember our greyhound getting spayed when we adopted her and she didnt wear the special big neck collar. She tended to just leave everything be.

Michele

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I paid less than $75 for Jonah....my vet is a very big advocate of spay neuter! His other services aren't as cheap....but he is very strong on spay/neuter.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Kryczek's was $285 with bloodwork and earplucking (I am AWFUL at doing it). He came home same day and was somewhat groggy, back to his normal self the next day. It was hard to limit his activity. They gave us a soft collar which lasted all of about a day. Otherwise he would listen when we said "No" to his licking. I was so paranoid to going in, but it really was a breeze. Only negative was that he had a black spot of fur on his testicle area, so when those were gone he had a droopy sac that everyone thought was a turd hanging down. Hated having to explain that :)

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
EM!
Those websites were awesome!! Thanks! I can see how a male is far easier than a female now.
Now...........if I can only forget what they are actually DOING! :shock: ..........I'll be fine! :D

I am LAUGHING OUT LOUD :lol: at some of the comments here.
So.....we're NOT the only crazy people!! :p

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
We had Eli, a GSD, neutered several years ago and brought him home the same day. He got out of the car, ran to the house and jumped up on the deck which was about 3 feet high. Acted like he'd just been on a joy ride and never had a problem. It was definitely harder on us worrying about it than him having gone through it.

It's really as a rule a very simple procedure for males. In my experience they bounce back quickly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Gromit stayed overnight. The costs were $180 w/o boodwork and IV or $300 with. They also plucked his ears and clipped his nails while he was out.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Dex and Kirby both came home the same day...Kirby and Dex were wrestling 4 days later :oops:

Dex's neuter was included in our vet first year package (we pay a fee each month)...Kirby's was around $250-300, but he had an undescended testicle so there was an extra charge.

We just kept the dogs on a leash and with us for the days they were "quiet"...both were on calm walks the next day. Honestly they didn't seem to be in any pain. It was much much different from when Dex had his surgery to have the tennis ball removed...the neuter was nothing!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Did you bring yours home that night or did he/she stay?

Ari went in on May 19th @ 9 a.m. to have his surgery and I picked him up that night @ 6 p.m.

How long did it take before you could at least walk yours?.....or what did you allow yours to do to make the time pass?

Our vet told us that Ari would only have a few restrictions. He was to wear is "cone" collar thingy for 2 weeks and he could not have a bath or get wet for 2 weeks. Everything else was okay as long as he seemd to be acting fine. If we noticed anything out of the ordinary, call immediately or bring him in.

The first day bringing him home after his surgery, Ari was tired (and mad!) See picture below:

He seemed a little sore - but by day 2 - he was back to his normal self! And I was freaked that he was going to hurt himself and rip his stitches out! I mean, Ari was leaping up on furniture, jumping, rolling around outside. We tried and tried, but we just couldn't stop him! After day 3 or 4 we started walking him again and he was fine then too. We figured that if he felt fine enough to do it - then we'd just let him. (We just checked his incisions A LOT).

After day 4 - he was having such difficulty with his cone collar that we decided to take it off. (He was running into walls and such). He was fine then too - he didn't even lick the stitches. He pretty much left it all alone.

He just had his stitches removed last Monday and the vet said he looked GREAT and that we must have followed his instructions to a T. (Hahaha).

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How the heck did you get him o just lie there with that cone on? hahahahaha! I've never had a dog do that!
You're experience is inspiring to me. I'm glad it went so well for you!
I've pretty much made a decision to keep Bogie at the vet a night or even two. My husband is suppose to go camping with his buds and I don't want the responsibilty of watching Bogart alone. I mean..........HEY! DAD.........this is a job for TWO....not just mom..........hahahaha!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts