Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got another questions for those of you with two doodles.

I've heard that it is harder to introduce a puppy to a full grown dogs, simply because of the maturity difference. They don't bond as easily, and sometimes the bond doesn't happen at all. Not that the actual meeting is difficult, but that the puppy is too energized for the dog. Napa is like this with all of the adult dogs he meets. First he is intimidated, but once he sees that they're not really that scary, he tries to play with them. And each adult he meets gives him the same look (especially when he greets them by licking them on the face)... the "oh, you're a puppy..... and don't know what you're doing..... going the other way, now" face....

This concerns me, because we want Napa to have a friend. But, if this is true, we'll have to do it sooner than we were thinking....

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
We've had younger dogs come into our home when an older dog wasthere and we've never had a problem. And, it's going to be awhile--probably a few years--before Napa decides he no longer has time for play breaks!! I think it's more important that YOU are prepared to deal with a second dog rather than if Napa is prepared. He would probably welcome a friend at any age he is!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Granted an older dog may at first seem less interested than a younger dog. but there are ways to introduce them to ease that.

what do you consider older? Max is 16mos and i can say he wasn't HOG wild over Beau for about 3 or 4 days, rather they were checking each other out seeing who's boss etc..........NOW they're starting to bond.
peanut is 11mos and is the "big sister" and loving her new role. Made her grow up overnight. Max is also being much better too.

I also let Beau have free reign of the house getting his scent everywhere then crated him and later let Max and peanut out ...it took about 3 or so hours before i let them greet. usually i take longer...what happens is the older dogs smell new scent and when they met Beau they recognized the scent. OH i also had them outside to meet.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I can only speak from recent experience, but Hershey (16 months) just loves our new puppy Gus. In fact, when we let them out of their crate's after work Hershey greets Gus first!! They have definately bonded. I have no experience with older dogs......

·
Registered
183 Posts
We got our second dog when Fred was about 15 months. He loved the puppy and we had no trouble with bonding. I thought this was a great time for him, cause he was still very playful, but had also learned a lot--such as walking on the leash, and his boundaries. Also, after reading Anne Marie's blog about house training two puppies, I must say, it was significantly easier to get the second when the first was fully trained. No regression issues, although, when one dog is out the other feels it is their right to also be out. I see from other posts though that you have been slammed by some vet bills lately, and that is an issue to consider. We try to combine vet visits, which means we leave about $200 (or more) when they go in for checkups, or needed vaccinations.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Most will always adapt to a new pup, even older dogs do eventually. I know there are cases where some dogs never except a pup but rarely does this happen. You just have to be ready for two when you do it, but it doesn't take long and they will be best buds.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Tucker was about 10 months when we got Frankie. They too greet each other 1st thing when they get out if their crates. They play about all the time, pretty rough for a puppy sometimes. I do however not feel the bond myself I felt with Tucker. He looks into my ears, is always by my side. Frankie on the other hand, lets you love on him and then he is off to lay in the kitchen while we are all in the family room.He doesn't seem sad or withdrawn, he comes if you call him, sees what you want, then goes and lies down again. We took Tucker to the Bed and Biscuit and took Frankie camping a couple of weeks ago. He was totally different, very loving,and at my feet all the time.I love having 2 doodles, they lick each others faces and have a great time. I say go for it if you can afford it. HAHAHA like we can afford it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts