Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dexter has recently discovered that he can do this very, very fun thing:

Should I let him continue to do it, or is it bad for them? I've heard arguments for both. I don't want something to kick up into his eye from the road...but man, he really digs it.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I'ld like to hear everone's opinion on this as well. Lucas just discovered doing this thing as well, and he loves it! And when we arrive at our destination, he has a new look!

·
Registered
523 Posts
I open the back window in the truck (the one that faces the bed of the truck) just enough to let Boyd stick his nose out. It's too cute!

·
Registered
576 Posts
*Sigh*, I let Sadie do it 'cause it's the only way she enjoys a car ride. However, I've heard that there's a danger of them getting something in their eyes and that it's "horrible" to not have them harnessed in somehow.
I just read a book last night where it was mentioned that you should never have them just in the car.

I don't plan to change what I've been doing though.

G

·
I used to lat Maya do that all the time. Now that I got the SUV and she is in the back she can't anymore. Maya is never seat belted in the car. She is good and doesn't try to get up front (unless someone is feeding her chips....story for another time) so I let her roam. Now she stays in the cargo area of the SUV.

When Maya was in the back seat of my old car I would let the window down but only far enough for her head to get in and out. I didn't think she would jump out but I didn't want to take any chances.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I've also heard that you should definitley cover their eyes with goggles, love the pic !

Annabelle doesn't get to do that because she isnt satisfied just sticking her nose out there

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
We only open the window enough for Denver
to get fresh air and he is always strapped him..............
The stories of dogs being thrown about the interior in an
accident scares me and the ones who have gone through
windows or had parts of their face mutulated because the
dogs had their heads sticking out the window.................
I know I know I am a party pooper but I just would be devasted
if something happened to Denver in a car and it was because of something I did or did not do.............. :cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Cinnamon can stick her nose out the window even while seat belted. She'll stay in the back of our Outback until we stop at our destination. She's not good about staying there if I have to run into a store or take recycling to the bins. I always find her in the front seat when I come back. She doesn't know she can't drive.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
that photo of Dex is too cute.

hehe...if you get him goggles please take a photo :) We never have the windows down much so ours don't try that (but they would). I can see something getting in their eyes, but dogs have done it for so long, right?? However I'm a scardy cat and they stay buckled into our SUV.

G

·
I'm with you Sue on the seat belt issue. When I let Bella be free in the back cargo area, I worry the whole time. The story I heard that stays with me: An accident occurred and the dogs got spooked (a car accident is LOUD!) and ran into the woods when the car door was opened. No one was hurt, but looking for your dogs in the dark near a major highway is scary!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have heard also that their ears can be prone to infection. I don't know if that is because of the wind or debris. Might be something to ask the vet.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Ozzie says, "Dogs LOVE trucks!"

I keep the window in my car cracked enough so the Oz-boy can stick his nose out, not the entire face or head. But the average dog in New Mexico rides, unsecured, in the bed of the family "pick-em-up" truck!

·
Registered
593 Posts
We just bought Sammy-doodle a seatbelt yesterday and he doesn't mind it at all surprisingly... But he can still stick just the tip of his nose out the window.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I just roll down enough so that he can stick the tip of his nose out. Charlie loves it. And he is a dog who in the past has been car sick and is just a poor traveler in general. He MUST sit next to the window on the driver's side. Usually he stands the entire trip. He is just finally learning to relax. :roll:

Deb

1 - 17 of 17 Posts