Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry for the repeated posts on this but....
i fed her a little chix and rice and she threw it all up an hour later - it came up looking exactly like it went down. (sorry for that). i've never seen an animal have diarrhea like this ever. she is so down too. i am beginning to think it wasn't the vitamins after all. the only other change was that i took her to a different park on tuesday to meet up with her former littermates (haven't even had time to post pics from the reunion!) and they were all splashing around and drinking from a community water bowl (which i grabbed and washed out once i saw they were drinking). i'm totally worried about parasites or something else now - would parasites cause the vomiting like this too? i can't even get a sample to take to the vet - it's all liquid. how long should i wait it out?

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I'm sorry she is still not well - I'm a worrymom so I'd be at the Vet in am

I've heard if water left out it can get bacteria, espeically plastic bowls,, I dont know what is transferable from dog to dog via waterbowls.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I think you should see the vet in the morning....
I really don't think the vitamins caused all this....and it is still going on.
Usually, one round of diarrhea, or two and the offending agent is through their system....this has gone on long enough without subsiding?
Maybe she got into something else you aren't aware of....
Dehydration would be a real concern for me....
Take her in and see what they can determine. They can get a stool sample.....

Let us know how it goes!
I hope she's better by morning....
8)

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I'd be taking her in too.
Pups dehydrate quickly when they're vomiting along with the diarrhea. Once dehydrated they can go downhill fast.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I am sorry, I have not read your previous posts...but if this is squirting poop, runny like water, and vomiting...by all means see a vet. Even without a sample (we have had that before and we scooped the runny poop up with a plastic spoon and put it into a double baggie then wrapped the baggie in a paper towell and put it in another baggie! LOL
Anyway, it could be giardia or coccidia. It is easily treated but the longer you wait the harder it gets.
I hate to mention this, but if your pup has not had Parvo shots (all 3) it could be Parvo.
Likely it is a parasite and easily controlled.
Be sure to keep your dog hydrated. Look at his skin on the back of his neck, pull it up, if it stays up, he is dehydrated and needs emergency vet care...immediately!
Also, puppies that don't eat regularly get low blood sugar and it can be serious.
I don't want to worry you... and I really do expect that this is a parasite...so it would not be an emergency...but if in doubt, go to the vet.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I agree with the others - I'm a worrier too and take them to the vet for anything that alarms me. I'd try to just scoop up any bit of a sample that you can get (or at least call them to ask what they would need). Our dogs drink from communal bowls at the park all the time and are ok, but your puppy is younger...

anyway, I hope she feels better soon :( The squirts are the worst.

G

·
I would go to the vet. Don't worry about a sample. They can get one. It's uncomfortable for the dog for a minute but then the dog is fine (yes Maya's been through this). I would get it tested for parasites. And also they gave Maya IV fluids under her skin which gave her a hump for most of the day but my vet was worried about dehydration and she only had diahrrea for less than 24 hrs. (Maya as you may know has a history of this so when I call worried the vet sees me right away. This time Maya wasn't eating even her rice so I knew something was up. She didn't have any parasites she was just really dehydrated)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I'd make sure first that your doodle is drinking water and call your vet asap to rule out parasites/disease etc.

any amount of stool sample would be good to bring in and have tested just to rule things out. also ask your vet is your doodle should be fasting from food only till you come in.

KEEP us posted

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Mary.........did you go to the vet? After Bogart's last experience, I'm worried about you!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Im so sorry she is still sick
You really need to get her to a vet
there is nothing we can do to help, there are tests that need to be done to make sure not parvo, or worms or xrays if she has injested somthing that is blocking her intestines, please get her to the vet ASAP

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hi all,
thanks so much for your concern. i ran her by the vet first thing and they were totally unconcerned. she hasn't pooped at all today (thursday) and is eating the chicken and rice today without vomiting (only vomited once) , so they told me to call back when she poops and i can collect it. they said it (assuming "it" was the vitamins) had passed through her system or else she would still have diarrhea today (if it was a parasite). so, i'm going to observe and see what happens when she poops today (still nothing at 4pm). her energy seems a bit better today. i feel a bit odd that they weren't concerned based on what everyone has said, but i'm carefully observing and waiting and seeing.... and she only had the squirty diarrhea for 24 hours exactly and then it stopped (based on what i can tell since she hasn't pooped at all since last night). thanks again for your concern. i'll update when i call the vet back.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I think it's a good sign she is not vomiting today. I think one of the reasons for concern from the group is the possibility she ate something she shouldn't. When Dex ate the tennis ball we came home to a huge mess of diarrhea and vomit...

I hope she continues to improve - make sure she drinks lots of water...and give her extra hugs :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks, leslie. it's been agonizing, really. my dog walker insisted i take her somewhere else where they would be more pro-active, but when i told my vet she only had diarrhea for 24 hours and only vomited once (have talked to them 3 times now) they said just to wait and see. my last dog, a rhodesian ridgeback died from eating one of those rope toys, which became entangled around her intestines, so i am very sensitive to these issues. even though shaia only ate a few vitamins, i began to wonder during the 10 minutes i was not watching her, did she eat something else? anyhow, since i took her to the different park and she drank from a public bowl around this same time period too i am still worried about parasites :? as well

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
It sounds like she is improving and now you just wait
for a sample to bring to the vet................
We worry so much for our babies..........and I know that the waiting is
hard..........

G

·
If she hasn't gone I would continue to watch. When Maya goes on a rice diet it usu takes a day before there is any poo. (Maybe two)

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Plus she had vomited and had diarrhea, so there may not be much to poo yet....

I think if she has even a semi normal looking poop, you are fine...though I would test it for parasites....but, sounds like she is getting over it and if it were parasites, or something serious, it wouldn't be subsiding.
Keep us posted.
We are all worriers....but better safe than sorry, huh?
8)

·
Registered
156 Posts
My three dogs a few years back ( yorkie, poodle, greyhound) had something similar ( imagine 3 dogs having accidents inside YIKES!
It lasted for a week and i made sure to give them lots of fluids and even treated them homeopathically. Finally figured it out that the Nutro food we were feeding them possibly had rancid wheat in it. If there was iron in the vitamins it is possible it could have also caused all this upset as iron isnt released from the body

Michele

1 - 20 of 32 Posts