·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Molly will be here Sunday night!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts

I'm soo excited for you ! Havent' had 2 doodles, but had 2 lab puppies (littermates). They did extremely well together, I did crate them when I wasn't home, when I was home, I kept all doors closed so I had less space to keep track of them. If I was going to be extremely busy doing something, I would block them on screen room so they couldn't get in trouble, that was their playspace, didn't have anything out there except puppy toys and water bowl.

Depending on Sandy's personality you may see some jelousy for the first few days or weeks. When the kids got their 2nd dog - Macy would not speak to them for 3 days - she just laid in hall and glared whenever they walked by, poor sweetie, but after that her and Emma became buddies.

Good luck and post lots of pictures !

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Awh it's so exciting. Here are my 2 cents...

1) We tried to keep Dexter's schedule and life at our house as normal as possible. This meant not changing where he stayed while we're at work, not changing where he sleeps at night, etc.
2) We feed them separately to avoid any food conflicts.
3) We try to have separate time w/each, but it's difficult
4) We limited their time together the first week. Neither was used to another dog being around so they played non-stop and sometimes to the point where they needed time apart.
5) When you get home with them, I would try to let Molly go explore your house a bit without Sandy following her.
6) Even though they're different genders, I still think they may need to sort out dominance. That took about 2 weeks with our 2...some of the play got rough - we would only stop it if it got out of control because they needed to establish pack order on their own.

Try to remember that even though Molly is coming from a loving family that she will be scared to be in a new place. She may act really shy at first until she gets used to everything. Don't be surprised if Sandy acts a bit jealous of attention you give Molly - in the past that was all directed at him.

Ok, I'll stop now - I am def not an expert, but am just recounting some of the things we encountered. I bet Gene will have some stuff to add since he adopted Miko as an older puppy.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
No advice ... just delight! Am so glad sweet Molly is becoming part of your beautiful family!
Am thinking only the best thoughts for all of you as this new adventure begins.
And also .... how lucky we are as we get to share as the story unfolds... not to mention the PICTURES!
Best of luck!

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Wonderful news Kristen!!!!! Congratulations to you and Annie and Sandy!!!
Whoo-hoo!!!!!!! More terrific pix to look at!!! :wink:

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I try to give both Jonah and Miko quality alone time.....very difficult! They hit it of from the first moment, so I was quite pleased. The only problem they had was Jonah with HIS food. At first I couldn't even put her food in her bowl first! Miko still eats in her kennel(with the door open) and Jonah inhales his in the kitchen. Then still take turns with the dominance thing. Jonah will still hump Miko, but we all know that she's really the dominate of the two! :wink:

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Oh how exciting for you!
No tips here as I'm going into the same thing you are.
I know my Moses is territorial and unhappy about this little upstart being in HIS house and with HIS family, so we're just taking it slow and putting the new little one in the crate when we're not right with her to watch things.

At this minute, Moses is laying near me, and Lily is laying about a foot behind him... both sound asleep. that's about as close as she can get to him without getting growled or snapped at. He doesn't care that he's her Dad... LOL She assumes all flavors of submissive poses for him but he's not buying it. YET ;)

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
This thread has interested me....as we are due to get our new addition around the middle of December....or so. I really expect Coco to be jealous and sort of bothered about the new pup. I have started letting her sleep in Philip's room with him, instead in my room...since the puppy will be with me at first for middle of the n ight potty trips....don't know if that will work....Coco may want to be wherever the puppy is........will be interesting.*#X!?!*[email protected] :roll: :?: :!:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hhhaha two doodle owners......i might have a 3rd in the next few days

okay:

1. feed them separately the first month as one willl try to eat the other's food

2. do one on one time....crate the younger one to nap while you spend time with the older one, Sandy in this case

3.tether the new doodle if rules are being ignored like potty training etc or just to set some rules

4. Monitor their time together , never leave them alone for the 1st few months ( then again i am known to be a worry wart0

5. expect "stuff" to be chewed or slightly looked at too long by two doodles

6. Expect REGRESSION stages and also buy some Natures Miracle

7. Let them share toys

8. Expect TWICE the LOVE!!!!!!!!!! laughter and keep your sense of humor on hand at all times as its worth the effort :D :D :D

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
LESLIE this time i am staying on Topic...just go look for the post called
Am We nuts, and you can see it there :wink:

KRistin.........tonight we all EXPECT PICS

OH, on serious NOTE:
if you can keep Sandy and Molly separated for a few hours that would be great so Sandy can smell her scent first then MEET molly
OR
bring them both outside to meet so it's on more Neutral Ground

Also sometimes the older one will REGRESS , which is normal
and stops after a few weeks. Even if Sandy LOVES molly it can happen.
and there may be a squabble or two over a toy or whatever as they are establishing Dominance, territory and learning each other's ways.

I think though, its going to be fine as Sandy is a male and Molly is a female ....oh if Sandy starts humping , just laugh it off :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts