Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thursday night was the first night of agility class. I still don't know why I had to bring Dakota. He is in private lessons and the first session was to last an hour and be mostly discussion. The trainer met us at the entrance to her facility and Dakota immediately was scolded by the trainer for lifting his leg (he NEVER lifts his leg) on one of her oak flower barrels. She may have greeted him briefly, I don't recall. We then entered the acre or so, grass training arena where Dakota decided to pee again, and was scolded again. She has a potty "run" where the dogs can pee and poop in. I can definitely train Dakota where to poop, but where to pee?? That will be a bit harder . . . Dakota, then (to show off his good training) proceeded to pull relentlessly on the leash which caused the trainer to suggest further obedience training.

Donna, the trainer, made a few happy sounds to Dakota when he was in the potty run. She then told me to put him in his crate where he stayed for the duration of the hour. :? :( She talked to me about what we were expected to learn, which was mostly about what is minimally expected in the competition ring due to safety and other issues. She stressed total control of the dog (understandably) with reliable "stays" with extreme distractions. She gave an example of her dog being put in a "stay" while she walked halfway across the arena, in a real competition, when she saw a large dog charging toward her dog. She reinforced "stay" to her dog with hand commands. Her dog obeyed but turned his head away from the charging dog in fear. When Donna's dog did not break its "stay" the other dog gave up the charge. Now, what would Dakota do in a like situation? Hey mom, I couldn't "stay" 'cause some big dog really wanted to play bad, so I went out to greet him!! :?

She then talked, mostly about her dogs and her experiences with her dogs. She is very proud of her dogs for good reason. For example, Chance, her current Sheltie, two weeks ago won Grand Champion Agility Dog--he is only one of three on the west coast. She may have asked all of three questions directly about Dakota, but did not seem too interested in really getting to know him. After an hour of mostly listening to her talk, we were excused for the evening.

I have such mixed feelings. It is so true that Dakota did not go out of his way to make a good first impression. But I somehow feel like we stumbled out of kindergarten and fell into the cold, cruel world. I am not out to create another grand champion. I just see an enthusiastic athlete in Dakota, and I wanted to get him involved in something that would be a lot of fun for him. Maybe I'm not looking at things from a dog’s point of view. Maybe the strict world of competition has a lot of doggie reward in it. I'm just a bit confused right now. Well, our next lesson is in a week and a half. Maybe I'll try to squeeze in some talk time for me and explain that if Dakota ever wound up in the competition ring that would be fine with me, but it's really not my goal . . . we'll see . . . in the mean time, we have a lot of "training" to polish up on! :shock:

·
Registered
523 Posts
Don't feel down!!! You should look for an "agility for fun" class. That's what I'm going to enroll Boyd in.

I understand where you're coming from, I was admonished by a trainer for letting Boyd be so enthusiastic on our walks. A. I did not ask for her input and B. I was enjoying a nice walk with Boyd and we were not bothering anyone. She approached us and Boyd got really excited b/c he's a doodle!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Yeah, the gal who taught our obedience classes does an agility for fun class on the weekends. We're not ready for the class yet b/c Boyd gets overly excited when I run around with him and therefore would not focus on the agility part..... :roll:

Like you, I've seen that our doodles are very nimble and agile and boy can they jump high!!!! :)

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Geez, that lady sounds like she's running an army boot camp - I would not be able to do that with Annabelle, I am too much of a softie. I'm sure she would be good at it as she can run and jump better than any dog I've ever had, but........I'm sure she'd look at that lady like she had marbles for brains :wink:

Maybe you will find a "fun" class that Dakota will like better :)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I'd say look for the FUN AGILITY class as the competition kind is tough from what i hear and also very strict but then again they have their reasons if you are entering competitions.

Sorry to hear your experience was all what you expected.......hang in there!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Linus and I would never survive that agility class! :lol: It sounds like a definate "training for competition" agility class! Where we go for agility it's all fun & a relaxed atmosphere. You can't start the agility until the dog has gone through the basic, intermediate & some advanced training..which is mostly being able to have the dog stay with you off leash w/lots of distraction. All of the dogs there get off course once in a while.. :roll: Our instructor started out with our group with just a few pieces of equipment, and once the dog's have somewhat mastered that, she would introduce a new agility challenge every few weeks. It's definately fun and NOOO pressure. I'm sure if you look around, you'll find classes like that near you.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
She would have lost me at the reprimanding
my dog for peeing in the wrong place.
I am too soft as well and would have taken Denver home.
Bahahaahahahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhha

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
that's too bad :( I can't understand reprimanding for peeing in the wrong outside spot, but that's just me. I don't think Dex is cut out for agility (he's just not very agile), but if he was he wouldn't make it in a strict class. He loves everyone (humans and dogs) too much. Hope your class gets better or that you find a more fun class!!

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I agree with everyone...Doodles are made for FUN!!! and I don't know about Dex, but Raleigh's feelings are hurt when he's reprimanded....guess I'm just an old softie...try to find a FUN class! :D :D

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Yikes Denver is so sensitive, remember when I told him
not to eat his bear ears.????????? I felt awful. He too gets his
feelings hurt very easy or because he has the "I have hurt feelings
look so down pat that I am just a big sucker. Either way
he is my boy and he can do no wrong and he can pee anywhere
outside, as long as it is outside. So there!!!
Bahahhahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Bwahahahaha...it's his EYES Sue!!! his EYES!!! :shock: hahahaha...he has you and everyone else wrapped around his big ole self, and I just love him!!!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Bwahahahaha...it's his EYES Sue!!! his EYES!!! hahahaha...he has you and everyone else wrapped around his big ole self, and I just love him!!!
You are right and Thank you. They all have something about their eyes don't they :wink:
We sure are a smart group for picking these doggies!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
blueteal said:
Bwahahahaha...it's his EYES Sue!!! his EYES!!! hahahaha...he has you and everyone else wrapped around his big ole self, and I just love him!!!
You are right and Thank you. They all have something about their eyes don't they :wink:
We sure are a smart group for picking these doggies!!!!!!!!!!!!!
amen!!!!! :D :D :D :D we can't even raise our voice with Peanut or she'll drop to the floor ...Max when he does something he knows he shouldn't just runs to his crate by himself hahahhaa
Doodles are very sensitive loving sweet babies.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK--I just put the Dakota in a sit-stay. After a couple of minutes, I told my husband to call Dakota's bud Sparky over to him (major distraction). Dakota looked at me like please mom, can I go to Daddy too? Please, pleeeaaase, pleeeeeaaaaase! I continued him in a stay. finally, I gave him a "come" and he romped over to me! The little rascal knows his stuff and he knows it well--Doodles seem to all catch on really quick--he's just so gosh darned bull-headed! I'll keep the refresher training up . . .

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Maybe it's just me being jaded, but sounds like this trainer is a pure-breed snob.
I think that if I was PAYING for someone to talk to me about their dog and experiences, fine...but to go on and on about that and not what qualities are right in MY dog, well, I'd let him pee once more on the flower barrel and take my leave! *sheesh*
I agree with you and the others, it just looks like a really fun thing to help doods burn up energy...so does flyball. But to compete? Naw, that's not for me.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, she is an agility "snob" but not necessarily a pure bred snob. Some of her own agility dogs have been mutts. But maybe she is a Labadoodle snob. Well, I have two more lessons paid for, so I'll see what happens next time. Hopefully, I'm over reacting. HEY and not only would flyball be a blast--in particular for Dakota who lives for his ball!--but also dock diving. I think that would be a bunch of fun too!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts