Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My youngest dd and her boyfriend were here today delivering some of her stuff that we're going to store for her during their move. So they were in and out of the house and garage with boxes etc...

Well Moses was inside when they came, so when someone carelessly left the door ajar, Moses let himself out. Katies BF, thinking he was doing a good thing, put Moses in Bellas pen with her since that's where Moses wanted to be and he was worried he'd get out again while they were carrying stuff in and wander out onto the road.

So a few minutes later when they were done, BF went to bring Moses back into the house and found him and Bella in a compromising position. There was a REASON Moses wanted to go in that pen! So unless she's barren, it looks like I'm going to have 2 litters 5 weeks apart!

I also emailed my prospective puppy buyers list today, telling them that Canada is pregnant and now Bella may be as well. Man I hope most are still interested in my pups now that I could have 2 litters!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Yep, you'd better go take a nap to rest up! But what a wonderful way to lose sleep! There can't be anything more wonderful than a house full of puppies!!!

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
LOL....i am laughing with you, your just not laughing. Well will be be very busy soon.

G

·
Oopsie! So when this happens you are almost guaranteed pups? I did not know that! You will be fine Tink! You'll be busy, but you can handle it. What's a few more when you are already doing it for one litter, right? :lol:

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm actually rather excited about this now that it's done. I had known Bella was in season over a week ago. I saw no reason to inform my dds boyfriend... :lol: so I guess if I had I could have prevented this, as he was just trying to be responsible and keep Moses safe.

I'd been debating with myself as to whether to breed Bella, so now the decision is made for me. I expect she will have nice pups, and as I said before, she now looks really good and filled out nicely.

Now my question is... and I've never been able to find a definitive answer...
which parent determines the number of pups in a litter? Considering Canada and Moses had 13... The prospect of 2 litters of 13 is a bit awe-inspiring. LOL
I have plenty of time to add to my buyers list, and have found some great sources for advertising, but am very glad I'm not working so I will have all day to spend socializing and observing the little ones.

G

·
Tink. It looks like the female has the most control over litter size, as long as the male has healthy sperm (there are always lots of those little suckers to go around! :lol: )

First of all it is dependent on the number of eggs to be fertilized, second the appropriate number of healthy sperm to infiltrate the ripen eggs at the proper time. The female has a finite number of eggs at birth, so as they are expelled by th ovaries during her season(how ever many a number that is) and fertilized gives you number of puppies. There is no magic pill or supplements to increase egg production, but proper care of the female can help produce healthy eggs able to sustain life.

Stephen
And since Bella is young, this poster seems to think her litters will not be as large as future ones:

There is a genetic component just as in human multiple birth. There is also a tendency for an animal in her reproductive prime (3.5-5.5yrs) and in optimal condition to have larger litters than those carrying weight or being underweight and those closer to either end of their breeding careers.
http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/bul ... 60882.html

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Linda.
Canada is 4 weeks from her due date and is already getting quite a tummy on her, so I have no doubt she will have another large litter. She's 5.5 yrs old, so this is her last litter.

Bella is just turning 2, so is definitely on the bottom of that age range. I guess time will tell...

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Oh Wow! How exciting! Too bad we can't donate sleep to you! LOL. I can't wait to see more puppy pictures! Best wishes for healthy pregnancies and safe deliveries when the time comes. :D

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Poor Moses, he has such a rough job!!! hahhaaaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I have to say Moses usually does have a smile on his face!

He also tries to be a gentleman by taking the ladies out for a drink before romancing them

1 - 20 of 21 Posts