Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I may be opening up a can of worms but I do HAVE to ask and would appreciate your input please

I understand OFA and Penn HIP and there are preferences for each
how about WHY? also one more, VETGEN vs PAWS site or other ones

here's a simple across the board statement

1.OFA you need to wait 2 years SO if i wanted a pre-lim for now

Then isn't Penn Hip a possible GOOD PRE-LIM test to do to SEE if a dog should be even considered to be breed? as you don't have to wait 2years.
YES some do it early as 6mos WHICH I would NOT DO and wait a bit more than that more like 10-12mos IF I DID Penn Hip

2. has anyone felt they got bad Penn Hip scores and better results with OFA? or does it factor on WHO does the testing/

and
3. Is VETGEN to be more reputable with DNA tests such as coat color?
and disease of affected, carrier or clear? Or are there other testing sites recommended?

I really do appreicate your input greatly....this is for comparison and reference sake NOT for any debates so on

also I would kindly return the favor

·
Registered
103 Posts
OFA vs Penn Hip

This is a quote from another forum where the same discussion took place.
Thought it might help

"OFA looks at how well or poorly the joint is formed or shaped (conformation). PennHIP looks at how tightly or loosely the ball is held into the joint (laxity). A joint can be well-formed but the parts fit together loosely (Good OFA, Bad PH), poorly formed but pretty tight (bad OFA but good PH....not commonly seen), or both well-formed and tight (good OFA and Good PH).

So OFA and PH look at completely different aspects of hip health and one doesn't replace the other."

Some breeders have found different readings from vetgen and Pawsitive ID, and have found that the Pawsitive ID has been correct. Others have found that they have both resulted the same.

·
Registered
103 Posts
ODA

OFA does prelims as well. Some breeders choose to use both testings as they seem to look at different things. A prelim as early as 7 months I don't really see anything wrong with that, more so if it's a male.

When doing Pawsitive ID....any questions that you have, you can contact Rick Dobbins by phone as well,,and he is great about getting back to you and answering any questions you might have. You can find the phone number on the website.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HI and Thank YOU gsnagoo2 ...are you a breeder at present? just curious

i am talking about a male and want to do a pre-lim just that i go back and forth on the two. My Vet was leaving the decision up to me as he understands both

and i was curious to who uses what test and why

NOW pawsitive id vs vetgen same thing....though i do like idea that i can call someone

and I DO appreciate your help in this matter, thank you!!! :D
I have 3 doodles presently ....2 are fixed and the little RED guy is the one i am considering.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
and back to our regularly scheduled topic hahhhaaa

Come on, i know some other breeders have to have further comments or input?????? hello??????????? hahhaaa
any and all are appreciated

awfully LONELY out here by myself you know :mrgreen:

·
Registered
84 Posts
hip scores

So it looks like on any given day a hip score could possibly come back different, depending on who is reading the x-ray. Also, a good OFA without a PennHip score does not necessarily mean that hip problems will not come up. The breeder I"m planning on getting my dog from is to provide me w/the hip scores of the father, which are 90% from what she told me. But the mother is just 2 yrs old, and has not been tested, and this is her first litter. What do I make of this? Are breeders supposed to wait until not only the dam is 2 yrs old, but also until she has received a good hip testing?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
amy you may want to talk to a vet

or like i did read some papers straight from OFA online as it will answer your questions better

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
129 Posts
re: ofa vs pennhip

Hello!

I thought I would chime in a bit on this topic, since I actually posted the very same question on another forum, which is where gsmagoo2 also got the info from. I'm in the middle of all this myself!

There are definite arguments for doing one vs another, or both. Not too many vets do PennHip, which is one reason why many breeders go with OFA. One big difference I found out is that you can get different results with OFA, depending on who is looking at the x-ray, although I would think it wouldn't be a MAJOR difference, like one vet saying the hips are good and another saying they were dysplastic. Hips can be "fair" and still not be dysplastic. I think any difference in reading may be one saying "good" and another saying "excellent" or....

However, with PennHip, it is an actual MEASUREMENT, which shouldn't change no matter who is looking at the xray. And that reading shouldn't change, even if you have the animal tested multiple times at different ages. With OFA, if you did a prelim and then a final reading, you could possibly get 2 different results and they tend to not get "better" over time (one wouldn't go from fair to good, rather it could possibly go from good to fair).

Amy, if I understand correctly, you mentioned that you may be getting a puppy from a breeder who has the father's hips tested but not the mother's...is that correct? I understand that the mother may have just turned 2, but the breeder should have at least done a prelim xray on the mom (prelim with OFA or she could do PennHip). You can search the OFA web site for actual reports on dogs, however, the prelim reports do not show up on their web site, unfortunately.

Oh...and for Pawsitive ID vs VetGen/OptiGen.... From what I have found out is that both companies have had some errors in their reports. PawsitiveID had some issues starting out with how long they were taking to get results back, having enough DNA samples to get results, etc, but I think they are getting better. I have used PawsitiveID twice and was very happy with them and just ordered another kit. I waited 3 weeks exactly for my result and didn't mind, considering the huge savings! Plus, the owner, Rick Dobbins was awesome! I know you'll find many a varying opinions, but that's my 2 cents!

Sorry for the rambling or telling you something you may already know! As for the whole generations thing, I think it's awfully confusing and feel like it could be made so much easier to figure out than it's been made into it! =sigh= :?

·
Registered
84 Posts
hip testing

This is what the breeder told me about the testing of the dam:

"I purchased the Dam as a favor to a friend, who needed to place her dogs quickly. On the basis of her background (which I have other dogs from) I feel confident about her hips and health. She has a lot of Cherdon dogs in her background. One of them is the father of a girl of mine, she just passed her Pennhip with an 80% score."

So, I'm not sure how much more info I'll be able to get from the breeder. She said the Sire's hips tested in the 90th percentile w/PennHip. We are in Columbus, so the breeder gets them tested at OSU, which does PennHip. I am still waiting for the acutal test paperwork for the sire.

Should I consider this sufficient info to feel ok about purchasing a puppy from her?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
well, I used to take people's word about these things with hip scores and graded but I got burned. Now, I would love to see ANY and ALL of the paperwork I could get my hands on, when someone is tossing out scores of related dogs. As a breeder there is no way I could buy a dog for breeding without seeing hip scores on the parents, and any other related dogs a breeder would want to offer.

The difference, to me, with buying a pet is that there is no chance that you will be passing those genes on to other dogs, no matter what the condition of the hips on your pet. But pet-quality Doodles with bad hips, needing surgery DO happen! I don't think it happens often, but there are wonderful Doodle owners on this forum who have had to go thru hip surgery (TPO) with their puppies, when it showed up before 1yr old. I recently gave away a 3yr old Doodle whose hip x-rays showed some substandard hips, and the pet owner is fine with that, because she's just a pet. She's in good shape now, and might always be, but might get arthritic and does NOT have hips we want to pass on.

In another thread (I think) someone said "Trust but verify". That is a wise saying in many areas of life.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts