Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Libby has developed in the last couple of weeks this odd obsessive-compulsive behavior with chasing shadows. She can't seem to concentrate on anything else if she sees a shadow of something. This happens inside and outside. We can be in the middle of playing fetch and she'll see my shadow move, drop the ball and try to attack my shadow. Sometimes she'll dig at the grass a bit, like she's trying to grab it. She does the same thing in the house, diving at the shadow and then biting at the floor or scratching at it. Has anyone had a dog that did this? Or any experience breaking an obsessive behavior?

·
Registered
162 Posts
How old is Libby?

Your avatar makes her look pretty young. If it's a new behavior I guess try to distract her from it. It sounds like that isn't working all that well though. It might just be an 'oooh, shiny object' phase.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Cesar Millan addressed a similar issue in a beagle on an episode of the dog whisperer. The beagle has been taught as a puppy to play tag with a beam of light, and developed an unhealthy obesession with spending all day circling around staring at the ground looking for the light.

I have an episode guide to the show at home, so if you want you can PM me and I'll check the book to see what Ceasar recommends to break this behavior.

Sara

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Between ages 4 mos to 8mos many puppies will go thru what appears to present itself as OCD behavior along with ADD and many more things! hhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

YOU can try to distract her and then praise her even here and there with a treat or a toy in addition to saying how good she is

BTW we had the opposite problem when peanut was a puppy: she was TERRRIFIED of any shadows including her own hahhaaaaaaaa
she outgrew it ...they go thru both fascination and fear stages

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Dexter went through a phase where he was literally afraid of his shadow...he would bark at it :) I found it pretty humerous, but luckily he outgrew it on his own.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, everyone. Libby is 7 1/2 months old. (I need to put on a new avatar!) yesterday she started barking and growling at a wrapped birthday present on the table. The box had been out for a while but she didn't see me move it from one place to another and was afraid of it once she saw it had changed locations! What a goofball!
I really hope she outgrows this shadow hunting phase. Its all she cares about right now! Its more important than even treats! She reminds me of Peter Pan trying to wrestle his own shadow. :?

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
doodleallday, maybe the shadows are giving her flashbacks to being overwhelmed by puppies during a recent visit? lol
Sometimes they do go through funny phases just like kids. I hope she turns it around soon. It's not fun seeing them frightened by anything.

·
Registered
349 Posts
These doodles.... what can you say? Shadows change depending on the sun..... it's something new they don't understand yet.

Want to see something cute ..... lean a mirror on the wall. It's so cute to see them go back several times to check out.............. themselves. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts