Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, over the last two days, Banjo (5 months) has vomitted twice. Once at 6 AM, and another time at 3AM. Her normal feeding times are 7AM and 6 or 7 PM, so both times were quite far removed from her chow times.

And, forgive me for the graphical image, but... her puke looked like her food, but digested. Nothing too strange, really. Her appetite remains normal (even better than normal, actually).

Is this normal? She seems quite happy and her usual self, and if it continues, we'll call the vet, but I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced such occurrances?

Robyn

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hmm...that is weird. Has she had enough water for the day? That would be my first guess. I would say that if it continues to take her to the vet just to be on the safe side. She could have gotten ahold of something (eaten something) that upset her stomach. Usually my Lexi will have "the runs" instead of vomitting...but that would probably be my second guess.

Keep us posted :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Robyn...
We went thru the same thing with Nezzie at 5months too...There is a whole string of post somewhere on the forum...I changed foods and switched to a high rise bowl (with little difference ) ...I finally broke the meals down to small several times a day and it stopped...
I think looking a growth charts at five months to 9months there is a tremendous growth spurts in doodles...So they gobble everything down at an alarming fast rate....
Its a common thread at about five months with vomiting and undigested food....I love the forum being able to git a gleam of insight from each others mistakes and successes.
I would try a small meal ,frequent feedings if it works ..great ..If not check with the vet ...

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Good morning, all.
Robyn, carpentersmimijo and Jackie have given you some very realistic advice. It is probably nothing at all. Dogs vomit often, and it isn't like humans...it doesn't always mean that they are ill. BUT, of course, it could mean that. The content is not surprising, although you would think that Banjo would have digested his nighttime meal...but I would not be too concerned at this point.
If he continues to have a good appetite, just keep an eye on him. Don't let him eat too fast or over eat.
If he continues to have this problem, even if he doesn't, you should discuss it with your vet. (If it coninues, obviously, you'd want to see a vet right away, if it doesn't you could mention it at the next scheduled visit and see what your vet advises.)
If you see (sorry to be so graphic) foamy vomit it ususally is a sign of acid.
Even though I would not be too concerned at this point, you do want to watch him because if he has swallowed something (a rock, a toy, any number of things) he could have a blockage and will not be able to pass his food through his system. But, again, I don't believe it is time to worry yet. Just be cautious.
You will see that in some of the older strings on this forum, we discuss giving a puppy canned pumpkin. Not the pie kind (no spices) but just pumpkin. About 1-2 tablespoons each day. It helps to coat a puppy's stomach and eases things through. This helps whether the problem is vomiting or loose bowels.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the advice, everyone! Love this forum :)

I will certainly keep an eye on Banjo. My guess, if it's anything, is that she swallowed something (that little bugger LOVES to have rocks in her mouth and hide them from us!). I will make sure to keep an eye on her pooping and her food intake.

Also, I'll keep the canned pumpkin in mind!

Thanks!
Robyn

·
Registered
4 Posts
Vomiting

Don't know if you still want replies about this, but maybe it will help someone else. My Dood, Sam had a period of vomiting when he was younger. He's 2 now, and this happened after I put him on big boy food, after the puppy stuff. He started vomiting, at various times, not particularly connected to feeding times. He was also a guy who liked to eat everything loose, socks, panties, Christmas tree lights, dollar bills. I found the food wasn't right for him and as soon as I put him on a sensitive stomach food he was fine. He's also outgrown eating stuff he shouldn't have. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts