Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've heard some of your doodle stories and just didn't believe them.
I know that doodles are full of energy and love attention, but...
Hershey was the tallest, loudest, and roudiest(?) of the bunch at her first
day of obedience training at PetSmart.

All the other darlings were cuddled up in their momma's arms and here
my wife and I are doing all we could to hold her back, keep her in her
space, and not disturb the class with her vocalizations. (She just wanted
to play with the other puppies! :p )

BUT... she did eat a lot of soft treats and learn something about clickers.

And since I have your attention. Just how smart are these dogs anyway.
At 12 weeks Hershey started nudging the back door mini blinds whenever
she wanted to go outside. Now she gets up and wraps her paws around
the door knob and tries to open it herself. This is scary smart!!! :shock:

But best of all, no accidents in the house for about 2 weeks :lol: !

Doodles are the BEST!
Bryan

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Okay, I've heard some of your doodle stories and just didn't believe them
I am guessing that you believe us now!!!
Congrats on starting classes.
Denver was also the largest and most energetic and the same way as far as wanting to play with the other puppies.
Fortunately our trainer let them have five or so minutes
to play. Not every time as she also wanted to teach that playtime is when we say and not when Denver says. That was very hard as he always wanted playtime, but after a while he got it and so will yours. Have fun with this and you will be amazed at what Hershey will pick up even at times when you think they are not learning,THEY ARE.
Have fun at puppy school. :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hey Doodledad-

Congrats on beginning obedience classes. Lexi and I just completed our Petco classes last Wednesday. You can see my impressions under the thread "Lexi graduates puppy kindergarten"

Regarding doodle energy, at our first class, there were about 9 puppies of all sizes and energy levels. At the end of the class, the instructor asked a few of the larger, more energetic puppies to attend the intermediate class with the older dogs so as not to overpower the little ones.

Lexi remained in the puppy class with the smaller pups(she is a mini), and now she became one of the largest puppies in class. Of the remaining puppies, Lexi was clearly one of the most energetic, but there was an obvious improvement in her ability to remain calm if she had sufficient exercize on that day.

The instructor allowed the first 15 minutes for socialization, and this was very enjoyable.

Good luck ...and Enjoy!

Maddie and Lexi

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Hahaha! Dakota was and is the biggest dog in puppy, intermediate and now clicker class. His instructor for the first two classes got the biggest kick out of him beccause between commands, he would do flips! He just loves so much being with the other dogs (and people!)
Diane (and Dakota)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mia was very timid in puppy class, but now that we've moved on to beginner class where there's little or no play time that's all she wants to do. Her latest bit of "cute" behaviour is to turn her down-stay into a slow motion commando crawl to get to her classmates. :roll: I think she thinks if stays down and moves slowly enough we won't notice. :?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We're practicing the clicker with click-treat, and look-at-me-click-treat as a homework assignment.

I wish the clicker would make her stop digging to China in my backyard, though. I sprayed the plants that she was eating with a bitter tasting chemical and she was eating it as it came out of the bottle. Some of my Hydrangeas are just nubs at the surface of the ground. I sprayed the yard where she was digging with a scent that is supposed to stop that behavior and she just moves to another part of the yard.

Any suggestions to stop undesirable behavior? I think I understand the positive reinforcement clicker thing, but what about for bad (natural) things doodles do?

Bryan

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Doodledad i have a suggestion.

OK i've been in landscaping for almost 20yrs. Dogs do NOT like aromatic plants !!!
Also did you ever consider stepping stones? we had a neighbor's yellow lab that thought she was the upmost gardener in my gardens.

sooooo i daily taught her to use the stepping stones while planting
artmesia (silver mound--a perennial for dry lean soil spots and sunny) along with low growing oregano amongst other little smelly plants.
I also spent time with her praising her like crazy when she used the stepping stones to go thru the garden and NOT DIG IT!! hahaha

I moved to my house 13yrs ago and all the dogs in the area loved my gardens including the family of skunks!!!! toook a little creative thinking on my part...oh yeah also had a few things that blew in the wind..if it works on owls and ducks welll was worth the effort.

NOW i have 2 doodles...let's see if it works with them next spring hahahaha i am LOOPING the invisible fence too---safety precaution

1 - 9 of 9 Posts