Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They used Bogie to demonstrate how to teach your doodle not to jump on you.
I haven't tried this yet........lol.........It's a "dance with your dog" technique. You push them back and "dance" with them. You have to make them lose their balance and NOT like it!
It took Bogie 2 times with the trainer. Wonder how long it'll take ME!!??

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hmmmmm... Haven't heard that one before.

I've heard that you should put your knee up and they will stop to avoid running into it. But that seems like it would hurt to me...

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're against the knee technique because........some people can't do it & yes it could hurt........and a dog doesn't always jump in front of you but to the side etc where the knee can't reach.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
It obviously works but,( and maybe it is the video,) it looks
like he is being thrown to the floor a little too much..............
Just my 2 cents..........

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm definitely going to try that with Guinness. It seems pretty effective.

Ahhh, our dogs might as well be twins, seriously. They are identical in their mannerisms and size.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

Linda have you been jumping up on people too? :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I see it being efffective.....but i don't think i'd try it
i'd be nervous of injuring my dog. then again i may be just too overprotective at times.

We use the Vollhard positive reinforcement method both at home and at our OB class.

I prefer to pull my arms up, turn and walk away ignoring them better.
took Beau 2 days of this to learn. also i have all company and family doing this, and wow all 3 doodles learned jumping gets them NO attention

Also i sometimes do DANCE with my doodles at home....so i'd hate them to be afraid of music and dancing. :wink:

·
Registered
331 Posts
That technique would also freak me out, but I'm really nervous about Napa's joints. But I love how his butt goes just like Napa's!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
You know...we have totally trained following the "positive training" method...we were taught to ignore the dog when he jumps, give him a gentle knee...yadda yadda...well at 1.5 yrs old we are finally now almost breaking Dexter of this annoying habit. I watched your video and I would be nervous to try this techique...but if it only takes doing it a handful of times I think it's better than fighting with a dog for over a year.

I wouldn't want to be throwing him to the ground like that too many times though, but from the video it looks like he may have gotten it after 2 times. Good luck!

·
Registered
235 Posts
The trainer was rolling Bogie over onto his back, not throwing him to the ground. Bogie did not seem hurt at all.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I prefer the turn away with arms folded...ignore...put in a sit and settle.

I think a dog could easily get injured by putting them on their back...just my opinion :shock:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Also i sometimes do DANCE with my doodles at home....so i'd hate them to be afraid of music and dancing. :wink:[/quote]
Oh too be a fly on the wall Annmarie!! :D

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
MaxandMe said:
I see it being efffective.....but i don't think i'd try it
i'd be nervous of injuring my dog. then again i may be just too overprotective at times.

We use the Vollhard positive reinforcement method both at home and at our OB class.

I prefer to pull my arms up, turn and walk away ignoring them better.
took Beau 2 days of this to learn. also i have all company and family doing this, and wow all 3 doodles learned jumping gets them NO attention

Also i sometimes do DANCE with my doodles at home....so i'd hate them to be afraid of music and dancing. :wink:
I use all three systems--kinda. I (dancing) run in small circles chasing Abby, she would start jumping then I'd stop with an UH UH when she jumped=no more fun. Now she just laughs and does 180's so she's always facing me. Then I LET HER CHASE me as the reward. If she does jump in play now it's away from not toward me. So she still gets to be herself and is allowed to get excited and show it. As long as there is no contact it's ok with me.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
madcity_mike said:
Oh too be a fly on the wall Annmarie!! :D
More like to be a fly in the "ward".....of the white coat /padded cell variety! :oops: :lol:

I must admit, Jonah and I have tripped the light fantastic on more than one occasion..... :wink:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Oh I have as well.. Usually after a couple glasses of merlot! :)

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mtd885 said:

Linda have you been jumping up on people too? :lol: :lol:
HAHAHAHA!! But, I TRY not to!!.......lol.........Maybe that's what people are saying when they dance with me and throw me on my arse!! hahaha!!

I DO see the pro's and con's coming out here and I expected that. I'm not quite sure just where I stand on all this either.
It's obvious the method works, however. Bogie nor the other dogs were hurt. I know when Bogie's feelings are hurt........lol...........he proved that to me once when I couldn't get him out of STAY!!

These people are different in training.....no doubt. They are the ones that do the 6 week, $3900 Off Leash Training.
I have seen the results of the Off Leash trained dogs. They brought about 10 of them in last night.
BUT....on the way home, my husband said that he thought many of them looked nervous. I agreed. They are EXCELLENT dogs!...........the only ones not looking nervous were the 2 beautiful doodles! I wish I had got pictures of them!!.....and a video! You guys wouldn't believe it!
So, I know the method works...............BUT..........I don't agree with all of their methods.
The people with the French Bulldog who they demonstated the POP technique with was very upset last week. They weren't in class last night. Made us wonder if this upset them and the dog.

Bottom line, we are going to use some of the techniques.....and not others.
I don't want my dog afraid of anything, so if I see that happening.....I won't be doing THAT!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
On another note, Lindamarie, Bogie is adorable! It was fun to see him in action!
And for the record, both Tyke and I prefer a nice glass of pinot grigio before dancing - red wine aggravates our migraines!!!! :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
now in regards to all you HOOLIGANS that would love to be a FLY on my wall in home aka nutcracker suite
YOU have 2 choices:
1. Eat your heart out! hahahaaa
2. come up for a doodle romp next summer at my place
and lean on any wall in my home you desire and watch the fun!

ps it's a BYOB OR BYOW :D
along with BYOD and BYOT :wink:
d=doodle, t=tent

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I dont like that at All - I don't agree with throwing, rolling whatever you want to call it, a dog on the ground to train them, it's not natural for them to flip over on their back and I would think they might tense therefore upping the chance of injury.

Bogie almost looked afraid of her at the end of the video

the fact that they brought in dogs they trained and the dogs looked nervous would Really bother me.

I hope their training works for you but I have to say from what I've heard I wouldnt be taking Annabelle for that type of training

JMHO

1 - 20 of 36 Posts