Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Molly does not ever pee or poo in the house when we are not home.. She pees in the house when we ARE home and I am TIRED of it!!! WHY is she doing this?? All she has to do is sit by the door, or whatever.. ANY clue and I let her out.. Sometimes I tell her to go out even when she doesnt give me a sign - just to make sure..

Well lately she is peeing whenever, wherever! Just now I noticed pee in the computer room which had to have been done while we were home.. I cleaned it up and when back into my sons room (a baby) to finish saying goodnight to him and she peed in there when I stepped out to clean up the first one!!!

I am soooo frustrated!!! She also decided she is going to poop right out the back door. I keep picking up the poo and putting it where we want her to go, but it doesnt matter.

She also wont go out and pee unless I stand with my head poked out of the door. If I start to go back in (even if I leave the door open) she runs back into the house before doing anything.. Its almost as she is afraid I am going to leave her out!

Oh she is just a mystery right now and I am becoming more frustrated!! Advice please :) TIA!

G

·
Maya is 4 mos and does the same thing sort of. She will hold going potty all night when she is in her crate...about 10pm til about 7am. So I know she can hold it but during the day she will just go when she wants. I try to take her out every 2 hours and tell her to go and she will but if I get caught up and forget she will not let me know she needs to go. I always use the same door. She will also not so unless I am outside with her. I have had her for about a month now and so I think its me. Just not sure how to fix it.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
How old is Molly?

For both Molly and Maya, do you take the dogs out on leashes and take them to the spot you want them to go? What we did was take Dex out on a leash to the spot, then when he went we praised him, brought him in and gave him a treat. We did this over and over. We also would take him out to go often...when we got home from work, then every 15-30 min after he ate/drank. Once he got older (5 mos) we had him really really reliable and started going on his signals (whining) instead of time.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice on how to get her to go where I want... I will try that..

Any ideas on the housebreaking though? She can go TWELVE HOURS and not go... then I come home and the first thing I do is open the door. Its the VERY first thing.. She goes out and goes pee.. But the next time she just pees in the house. Its like she doesnt know how to tell me she needs to go.. I do let her out often enough... but I guess its not when she needs to go.. I dont know.. Thats why I said - shes a mystery! LOL

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
While the dog is in the house with you :wink: , you literally should tether
them to you so that they cannot be out of sight.
Take them outside every half hour and treat them with food or praise
or whatever you use. Go overboard in praising when they have gone potty outside. Make them believe that going potty outside is such a fantastic event(again very loud happy praise) and they will learn. This takes time and you have to be consistent, but it will pay off.
Oh yeah, never scold or punish a dog after the fact. they do not understand what it is they are doing wrong unless you catch them
in the act. We never said a word to Denver when he made a mistake ,
but the first time we actually saw him going pee on the carpet we clapped very loudly, which made him stop and we raced him outside to finish
and we praised him and treated him. Good luck and remember, consistency is the key.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Some dogs mature at different rates. Max was totally houstrained early on but then had digestive problems and we had to start over. :shock:

Peanut OMG i think she was 4.5mos old ? before she stopped peeing in the house yet never went in her crate.
Peanut's signal is when she jumps on your lap :shock: and bugs you for attention. Max is he nudges your arm and if you ignore him he whines or BARKS sharply. Go figure, as I too was used to dogs going by the door in the past. So i learned their signal. and OMG my neighbors laugh at times cause i PRAISE them so LOUDLy hahahhahaaaaaaaaaa

I don't give treats cause they'd fake pee'ing and pooping :shock: peanut to this day sometimes gets outside , wants to play with every bug and blade of grass till she remembers why I brought her out in the 1stplace "TO GO POTTY" hahahhahahaa

Tethering does really does help as if you don't when you turn around , then they sometimes go.
if they eat...bring them out
if they sleep even for 2minutes and wake up...bring them out
if they play after 15min ....bring them out.

If you read my blog article you'll see i too had doodles that took quite awhile to be fully trained. :roll: I swore i was wearing out my shoes walking them.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Matey is 4 1/2 months and I thought that he was really turning the corner with housetraining. Because he was having so many accidents I decided to tether him to me about 3 weeks ago. Wow, it made such a difference no accidents at all! I let up a bit this weekend and he had more space to roam the first floor and he went to the carpets (rooms that he had not been allowed in) and he had 3 accidents over 2 days! :shock: So now we are back to keeping him close, and are back on track. I guess it does take longer with some dogs...

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I always felt at that age it was a plea for attention! --Not that they aren't getting every second you are home! :roll: -- But the moment you turn to focus on something else ... oooops! :shock: Think about how much attention they get when you catch them in the act in the house! They are being picked up, carried outside, you are saying their name over and over...so what if NO is attached to it!

Annmarie was right about the right after they wake up ... every 30-45 minutes when awake....Lot's of praise (and we use treat reward) when mission accomplished!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
The trick that worked with Tanner was to hang a treat bag by the door...out of his reach. When we took him out and he performed he got a treat...only took a few days to catch on. He is very treat oriented.

With his sneaking into our carpeted front room (which we seldom used) where he like to go to pee, I made it off limits by gating it. After a couple of months, I took him back into it, tethered to me and I would sit and read in the room. He finally figured out that it was part of the house too and he has never peed in there again.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
blueteal said:
We never said a word to Denver when he made a mistake
but the first time we actually saw him going pee on the carpet we clapped very loudly, which made him stop and we raced him outside to finish
and we praised him and treated him.
Can I tell you - I wish I had video LOL I have caught her in the act quite a few times and I picked her up to run her outside and she peed the whole entire way! When we got to the door she was done! ROTFL! Ugh!! A whole stream of pee across the whole entire house! LOL

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Oh yeah - I forgot one more thing...Dexter was mostly only having accidents on the area rug in our living room. We realized we didn't hang out there much and maybe he didn't associate it as a part of the house. So I sat and played with him a bunch on the rug in there so it would be considered part of his home...I don't know what made him stop, but I just thought I'd pass the info along.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Leslie ... That's a good one! Take each room and make it theirs! :D

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Which means when we first got Peanut we needed to sit everywhere in every room? :shock: :wink: :D :D :D

·
Registered
985 Posts
lmtoth2 said:
Oh yeah - I forgot one more thing...Dexter was mostly only having accidents on the area rug in our living room. We realized we didn't hang out there much and maybe he didn't associate it as a part of the house. So I sat and played with him a bunch on the rug in there so it would be considered part of his home...I don't know what made him stop, but I just thought I'd pass the info along.
That's supposed to be the way dogs think, and it usually works very effectively, but for some reason Chouette feels that the bed by the rocking chair where she has all of her toys and where she lies there to play with them is okay for peeing, in a pinch. She had been perfectly clean for about a month, and then I got busy one day, thought of telling DH to take her out with him when he went to collect the eggs, but starting playing with her instead, and then noticed that in all the excitement she'd gone to her corner and piddled. I was really surprised because it had been so long since she'd had an accident. I'm wondering whether it's behaviour left over from tiny puppyhood when they probably relieved themselves in another section of their play area. Not sure what I can do to get the point across to her that it's not an okay place.

Sometimes I can tell she has to go by extra activity and sniffing, but this time there was no clue - because I was playing with her. She never did figure out the bells, either.

With Molly, it sounds as though you need to take her out more often, and put a leash on her when you go outside with her. I haven't let Chouette out to relieve herself alone ever, yet. When she's older I'll be able to do that, but at five months she's just too young. I'm still trying to get the routine of housebreaking through to her, which includes specific out-of-the-way places for her business rather than right in everyone's path.

Leslie

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
we still take Dex out on a leash a lot. He will whine to go out and then once he get out sometimes he gets distracted by birds/sticks/his doggy pool/etc and forgets to go. Kirby is much better about doing his business and coming back.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It took a long time for Maya to actually signal us to let her out.
We had to anticipate that she had to go (every hour or so for the first few months). Early in her training, we started to praise her with a treat outside, just using some of her kibble. Later, we encouraged her to beg, saying 'outside???' until she would give us a littel 'woof'. She got lots of praise for the little woof. Now she stands next to us and kind of low growls to let us know she needs to go out. It's pretty funny but when she gives us a sign, she means business :). The only thing I wonder is if your pup has ever had a bladder infection. Maya has had 2 infections, and incontinience is huge then. Just a thought.

Good luck!
MJ

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
ok, i am glad to know i am NOT the only one who has dogs that Do NOT got to the door when they have the "need to go"

Peanut's biggest signal is jumping up on us and "bugging" us to no end but once outside then forgets to go potty chasing a butterfly or whatever distracts her. :roll: Max goes on demand hahhahaa

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
MaxandMe said:
ok, i am glad to know i am NOT the only one who has dogs that Do NOT got to the door when they have the "need to go"

Peanut's biggest signal is jumping up on us and "bugging" us to no end but once outside then forgets to go potty chasing a butterfly or whatever distracts her. :roll: Max goes on demand hahhahaa
Sandy is just like Peanut! Sandy will jump up on me and scratch at me - if I ignore him he will grab my hand (usually typing on my laptop, LOL) and pull me gently towards the door. He will NOT go to the door, and he will NOT bark, woof, growl etc... he isn't a vocal dog at all *unless of course he's barking out the window, ROFL.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Haha....Kirby is a bit like Peatnut and Sandy. We take him out a few times a night, but if he really has to go he'll start jumping and barking next to us. Even funnier is if he really wants something (food, bathroom, to get away from Dexter) he'll sort of hug one of us...it's a mix of jumping up (but not in an obnosious way) and wrapping his arms around us. It's really too cute.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts