Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I'm a little slow with finding these since they are quite popular...but we bought Dexter his first Nylabone this week (chicken flavored) and it's the greatest thing ever! He'll sit quietly and chew on it for an hour (after that we take it away so he doesn't overchew with it). Has anyone else had such good experiences with them? I need to get him a larger one.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Nylabones are terrific Leslie! I've used them with all the dogs I ever had, and they just loved them! They're neat,clean, and best of all don't splinter!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah we had the plain flavored one before and he had no interest...the chicken one he won't put down!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Here's something funny...Hector had a nylabone, the harder, durable kind, that came free with something else I bought. No interest whatsoever. Yesterday, while we were at our personal training session, the trainer threw him one of the flavored kinds to keep him busy while we talked about stuff, and he went to town on it. So today at the store I bought him a chicken one, one of the $8.00 big ones because he liked the one so much that the trainer let him borrow yesterday...won't touch it! :shock: So, what gives? Why'd he like hers so much and not mine? :?
Crazy dog! Love 'im anyway, especially since he was soooooo good for the trainer yesterday. She thought he was great! :D

Jenny

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Do your doodles chew up the nylabones? or do they just chew on them?

Tanner has turned into power chewer in the last couple of weeks. All the toys that he has had since we got him in December are history in one week. I think he has been on the computer with Jonah while I am at work.

:twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Jenny i have a solution...have the trainer hand them to YOUR doodle FOR YOU :wink:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
annie - how old is Tanner? Funny you say that because in the last 2-3 weeks we were saying it seems Dexter has become a heavier chewer. I wonder if he is teething (back teeth)? He has never destroyed a toy before and this week he killed 2 :roll:

He is not ingesting the nylabone - although i'm keeping a close eye on him. I have to buy him a larger one for more powerful chewers soon.

·
Registered
260 Posts
when kumo was a little puppy, his bottom canines were growing straight up instead of tilted slightly outwards like they're supposed to, and were poking into his gums. our vet referred us to a vet dentist, who said that this is a common problem in poodles, and recommended that the puppy teeth be removed to make more room for the adult teeth to grow in. we followed his recommendation, and kumo's adult teeth are just fine.

we asked the vet dentist about nylabones, and he recommended against using the super hard kind. he said they don't "give" or break like sticks or bones or other hard things dogs normally chew on, so he ends up seeing dogs that have broken teeth on them. his advice was to never use the hard ones, but the clear flexible nylabones were ok according to him.

now, that being said, i had beagles before kumo and they never broke any teeth on nylabones. YMMV i guess.

-em

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
know what? i guess we'll all end up using what works for our own dogs.

for me right now the Kongs, wiggly balls, and teething rings work best. pigs ears give the toots and fights...so does bully sticks along with mush outside. and they also have each other to chomp on as well hahahhaa

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Tanner is now 8 months old...I bought him a new type of Nylabone last night at Petsmart....chicken flavor...about 7 inches long, not clear but kinda cream colored and it is doing the trick. He can chew it and not bite off big pieces like he did with the softer ones.

He also is in a eating spurt as well as trying to shred everything he can get his mouth on....ah.....this too shall pass

:wink: :wink:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts