Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a silly question...
For thoughs of you with males..
could you tell me how old your pup was when you had him nutered? and how big he is now? Did he still grow after he was altered?
I have heard some clams that it stunts a dogs growth a little having them nutered while they are still growing.
Does nutering them make a diffrence in the way they act?

I found out Tater is 40 lbs and 5 mo old. Do you think he will be pretty big?

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Dexter was neutered just before 5 months. Ah...he was probably around 45 lbs at the time and is now 67 lbs. I don't think it affected his growth at all.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I would say Tater is going to be a BIG doodle! 70-85lbs would be my guess!

Sandy was fixed a month ago at 6 months - I would say it didn't stunt his growth at all :shock: :lol: He is a medium sized doodle but I think he must have gotten into the fertilizer! At 7 months he is already an inch taller than his sire, and 3 inches taller than his dam!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver was neutered at around 8 months
He is around 100 lbs and quite tall and he is now 16 months old.
Would he have been shorter and weighed less if I had
neutered him earlier??????????????
There are vets that will tell you yes and vets that tell you no.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Cooper was just neutered yesterday, he's 14 weeks. (They are big proponents of early neutering.) Oh and 15 pounds. It's going to be interesting to see how big he gets. The vet estimates 50-60 lbs.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Napa was neutered at about 8 weeks. He's now almost 18 weeks, or 4 months exactly depending on whether you wish to go by weeks or months. :D He's now about 20 lbs. He's gained 8 lbs in the month we've had him, so I don't think its stunting his growth, but obviously he isn't fully grown. He seems to be right on track to hit his father's weight- 38lbs- and obviously his father is fully intact :lol: .

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max weighed 35 lbs at 4mos....got netured at 7mos
He is now 14mos and weighs 80lbs

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Spay/Neuter is a wonderful gift that you provide
for an animal that you love and want to have a
safe better life. So unless you are a breeder, my opinion
is they should all be done. Otherwise you just end up adding
to the already overflowing animal population that do not have homes.
:wink: :cry: :wink:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Has anyone addressed the change in how they act?
Does it calm them at all, etc.??
Oh, I see that has been asked again....what do you think anyone?

Gene, I had a mouthful of coffee...when I read about Napa's Daddy....
Ha! I managed to swallow. Big giggle! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Charlie got neutered when we adopted him at 10 months. If it stunts their growth, I wish his previous owners had done it sooner, I had him at the vet yesterday for his ears and he's now 79 pounds. All the vet kept saying was "boy is he a big dog!"

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Early neutering prevents the male hormones from affecting your dog. In my mind and experience it prevents them from becoming as bulky in muscle as males often do, and it keeps them from becoming as territorial or (for lack of a better word) cocky as intact males can be.

I've seen this in dogs, in horses, and in my friends dh, who developed an issue of low testosterone. When it got low, he was much more mellow, less assertive, and more emotional. After his shots you can see a major personality difference in the "male type" qualities.

It's easiest to see in horses though... when a male horse is gelded early, it ends up looking like a female as far as neck, shoulders, etc. Left intact, they get much thicker necks, shoulders, and rump muscling. Also, in horses it prevents them from becoming domineering. An intact male horse can be volitile in their need to be boss where a gelding is usually a much safer animal to work with.

So while it may not make them shorter, I do believe it has a major affect on other aspects, which for the most part, if you're not breeding or showing, is a GOOD thing.

·
Registered
260 Posts
i am a strong supporter of neutering -- i see no reason for a dog that is a pet and not intended for future breeding to have the ability to reproduce.

our puppy kindergarten teacher raised the issue of when to spay/neuter with our class, and discussed the pros and cons of early neutering. then i did some research online and found some scholarly papers on the topic through the library at the university. as a result we decided to wait until kumo was around a year old to have him neutered.

we waited because it seems like there is little to be gained by doing it early. the main risks from waiting that i could see were 1) unwanted puppies, 2) testicular cancer, and 3) unwanted behaviors.

regarding #1, we don't let him roam off leash so it was unlikely he'd father any puppies. regarding #2, the research studies i could find said that the risk of testicular cancer in puppies and young dogs is pretty low, but the chances increase as intact males get older.

(incidentally, for female dogs, the research i found showed that the chances of developing cysts or cancer in the uterus or ovaries dramatically increases after the first heat cycle, especially for dogs that have never been bred. so this strikes me as a good reason to have a female dog spayed before her first heat.)

regarding #3, the behavioral issue: kumo was not territorial or aggressive before he was neutered, nor was he really a "humper". he tried out the humping thing a few times at the dog park (and once with one of our friends!) but we decided that was a behavior we did not want, and so we trained him not to do it even before he was neutered. also, even when he was "intact" we had no issues with him marking in the house. so, we didn't see the surgery as being necessary for behavior modification reasons.

on the other hand, i could see benefits in allowing him to have a more normal puberty, as far as the development of bone and muscle density. i couldn't find any evidence that dogs who were neutered as babies were "stunted" in any way, but there is reason to believe they don't develop in the same way as intact males.

there was an interesting discussion in a few of the research papers about whether dogs that are neutered very young retain more puppy-like personality characteristics -- i couldn't find any studies with conclusive evidence about this, though.

after the surgery, there was a nearly immediate decrease in the number of times kumo peed when out for walks. i guess the hormones must control to some extent the biochemistry of marking behavior. also, i think his empty, um, "sack" probably ended up being a little bigger since we allowed him to fully develop before having the surgery (although it has shrunk a lot!). overall, we haven't experienced any negative consequences from waiting until he was a year old to have him neutered.

-em

·
Registered
523 Posts
Glad to hear Tater will be neutered. Boyd was neutered at 6 months. You will find that a lot of places won't let you board or use daycare if your dog is not spayed/neutered.

You will also find it easier when you take Tater on walks or if you ever go to a dog park.

Our neighbor is "babysitting" her nephew's unneutered lab and she can only walk him when no other dogs are out. A couple of times Boyd and I have run into her on walks and her dog and Boyd both flip out. Boyd can definitely sense the testosterone there.....

Anyhow, just my two cents.....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts