Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K., So we got Calvin in July when my kids were home and I only work every Friday and my husband worked Mon-Thurs..Perfect! Someone home everyday. NOW, school started and my husband picked up Fridays which leaves poor Calvin home alone in his run from about 6:45 am till about 6pm...(On Fridays only), That is a LONG time. Tonight was his second Friday and when we got home he was OUT OF CONTROL, which I totally understand. I took him for a short walk just to let him walk around a bit. (I leave my house at 5 a.m. to work a 12 hour shift in a busy Emergency Room,, I get home about 7pm...I really have very little energy left to walk the poor beast). So, I have gulit...

Does anyone else work all day? What do you do with your doodles when you get home? Should I look into a 'dog-sitter'? Should I ask someone to come over and play with him, walk him and make sure he is o.k? How much should I pay? There is no DOggie Day care in our town, I checked that out. Any advice would be GREAT! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Leslie, When we got our first doodle in Feb we had only one long weekend home with her before all of us were gone during the day. We have a neighbor who we asked to come over twice a day, 10 and 2 to take her out and play with her. I would come home at lunch. When we got our second one in June he said he would continue coming over when we went back to school. It has been a blessing to have such a wonderful neighbor, he won't let us pay him, he is retired and LOVES DOGS!. Is there anyone you feel you can trust? Our bonus is our 2 doodles tire each other out after we get home.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Yep, I think that I would ask a neighbor to come in about 3 times a day to play ball with him for about a half hour each time. And to give some good cuddling and praise...or work on commands...something just to burn energy and give him attention.
Depending on who you get to come in...maybe a neighbor kid can come home on lunch (older kid) and work with him, then again after school and then once more around 6 or 7 pm. You wouldn't have to pay much for only one day a week.
I hire a licensed day care provider for my dogs and she charges $15 an hour...so I think you could pay a kid $8 an hour, have them come in 1/2 hour increments...Many people hire out as dog walkers too...just a good long walk during the day would be okay too.
Don't feel guilty...life sometimes changes on us! You can make the best of it...my dogs LOVE their sitter...when they see her they go nuts! So, it isn't a bad thing.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, we are new to Oregon live in a very rural area and actually have no neighbors...BUT, luckily I have a co-worker who LOVES Calvin and her daughter is always looking to make a few bucks..Bring in high school and all...So I made a deal with her to come over every Friday and walk him and play with him and just spend a little time....It will be money well spent!!! Heck, she even offered to pick him up and take him to a local doggie day care that he has been to, AND pick him up, but I think that is just too much to ask. Anyway, my husband is also putting a fence around the property so he can have more room to roam when we are gone. I hope that works out for him...Thanks for your advice.Leslie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts