Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 9 week old Labradoodle has recently started to eat so fast that he finishes in less then 2 minutes and does not chew his food. I am concerned about how that will effect his digestive system. I started to let him take a mouthful and then I take the dish and repeat as needed to try and slow him down. We have been feeding him 1/2 in am and pm. is that not enough? Any suggestions? :?:

·
Registered
163 Posts
For a 9 week old dog, he should be eating three times a day. What kind of food is he on?
Also, you can hand feed him one meal a day, to slow him down. I wouldn't suggest letting him take one mouthful then taking the bowl away. That may be teaching him to eat as much as he can, as fast as he can, because it may disappear.
If you want him to eat out of the bowl, leave the bowl on the floor and put a handful in at a time, but don't take the food he can see away from him.
At that age he usually won't chew anyways, cuz his molars aren't big enough to crunch it.
You can let it soak in water for a while so it softens up and that may help.
However if you have him on a quality puppyfood, the manufacturers take that into account, and make it easy to digest even if it isn't chewed.
Take a look at the other end of him, if things seem ok there....then don't worry.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good idea

Thanks, we have him on Nutro Puppy food. We did add a feeding and I will talk to my husband about us not taking the bowl away. Thanks for your reply. Its very helpful since we are so new at this!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts