Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Striker (flat coated mix) has had really dry skin from the day we got him. It comes and goes, and right now he seems to be in a really dry spell. We just changed his shampoo, and we're thinking that might be the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions about what kind of shampoo I should look for, for him? I hate seeing him scratch so much! But all that's there is white flaky stuff!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
For Cinnamon, I use a shampoo with tea tree oil in it followed by the tea tree rinse. I don't remember the brand name right off the top of my head, but I got it at Petsmart.

Also look into his diet. That has a lot to do with how much he itches. When we switched foods from a corn & wheat based food to a rice based food, her itching slowed down dramatically. Cin still scratches more than I can remember a normal dog scratching, but she doesn't drive me crazy any more and I'm sure she's more comfortable, too.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
we had a very "itchy" lab and we switched her to lamb & rice and it helped bunches.

Oatmeal shampoo is also suppose to be calming to the skin - try Aveeno Oatmeal shampoo in the people shamppoo aisle if you cant get to a petstore to get oatmeal shampoo - Aveeno is prob just as good, provided your baby isnt allergic to oats

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately I can't talk to them about his diet. They think I'm crazy for buying specialty food for my baby. Just different attitudes towards caring for a dog. I'll run the oatmeal shampoo past them. He's been on the same food since he was about 8 months old, so about 7 years now. This is probably the worse I've seen him scratch in a while, so I don't think its the food. But like I said, I don't know if I can get them to switch. Unless I can find something that's better for him that's about the same price as what they're feeding now, which is about $15 per 30lb bag.

Thanks for the ideas!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Kristen, the food might very well be the problem but if they are not willling to change it is possible nothing will help. It could also be seasonal allergies. They can add fish oil to the food or olive oil. I have used fish oil capsuls and squeezed the contents onto the food. It did help. Our doodles are on Canidae (had tried other high quality food) it is the only one we tired that did not cause problems. Our breeder feeds all her dogs Canidae. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Do they shop at Costco...one of the Kirkland dog foods is rated very high and I think it is reasonably priced. Maybe they would switch food if it didn't come from a specialty store :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We don't have Costco here. Is it available at Sams Club? I did mention the food thing to her. She thought that she's fed Striker Lamb before and he was rather gassy. But she's now thinking it might have been something else. Has anyone else experienced this? I might be able to get her to switch it. We'll see! Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Unfortunately Kirkland is a Costco brand and not available at Sam's.

Just another thought...I have been trying to convince my daughter's bf to feed his lab a better quality of food. When I said that better food produces less "poop" he showed some interest..Maybe you could go that route..good luck :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I have never tried it but I know it rated high on the comparison list and I have met a standard poodle owner who swears by it...I think the downside would be that you can't get a small size bag to try... :cry:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Fred was very itchy and flaky when we got him. The fish oil capsules really helped, but we also learned that he was very sensitive to bug bites--once he started to itch he didn't seem able to stop, so using Advantix to keep the bugs away was also very helpful in stopping his itches.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
annieG said:
I think the downside would be that you can't get a small size bag to try... :cry:
AnnieG, the good thing about Costco is that they will take it back if the dog won't eat it or you don't like it's effects. I took our's back when it gave Toby such bad gas. :shock:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
we have used OMEGA 3 1000mg capusles in his food and also soemtimes cooked oatmeal. we feed canidae all life stages and not treats.

max's flaky dry itchy skin is gone , he no longer chews at his paw either :D

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Paintsmeblue said:
Unless I can find something that's better for him that's about the same price as what they're feeding now, which is about $15 per 30lb bag.

Thanks for the ideas!
not sure what he is on, but if you are near costco the kirkland chicken dog food is $17 for 40# and has no corn and such its a chicken rice based food that many breeders use and ranks high on the dog food rating scale. I mention this as I feel for the money its an excellent alternative.

oops just reread the thread someone already suggested this.
I can get the ingredients next time I am at costco and you can compare to sams or a local feed store.

Oh you know what? its a diamond manufactured food if I remember right. Check local feed stores for diamond food. I bet they have it there at a good price. :)

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll tell my mom. I just flew back to CA for the semester.

Thanks for all the suggestions. My parents are just the type of dog owners who say "he's a dog." I love them dearly, but we just differ on what we should do with dogs. So thanks for the ideas!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Kristen,

"Parents are like that ... yeah they are!" figurative quote from an old 60's commercial.

Both my folks are gone, but I frequently think that all we do and spend :shock: on our silly doodle has them rolling in their graves! :D

They were both wonderful, loving and kind folks who would have adored Ebbe, but in the end they would have said, "SHE'S A DOG!!!!!".

Ebbe, of course, begs to differ :?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Exactly. They love Striker, although my dad begs to differ- but we all know the truth. But in the end, he was a pound puppy, and he has lived a much better life than the one he lived for the first six months of his life... just not to the pampering that Napa will probably receive.... but its probably like the first child thing. Napa's probably going to be more pampered than our first child!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
So exciting Kristen
only three more days woohoo
It is hard to listen when some people say it is only a dog
cause I consider my dog and cats better than most people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know you guys understand that but most people don't.
Then they say something stupid like , "What if you were in a rowboat with
your cat/dog and husband/child and you could only save one of them?
I always say that I would drown us all as I could not live with whatever choice I made. That does not usually go over well.

Bahaahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
You nut! I just laughed and laughed. I still snicker over the "where do you find a 32 year old husband?" Happy Weekend!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts