Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i took maggie in to see the vet the other day and the vet told me that until maggie had all her shots, that i shouldn't take her on walks around the block.

?

maggie is 8 weeks old; should i really not take her on 10 or 15 minute walks around our block? right now we're getting in play time by playing in the cul-de-sac in front of our house (it has grass in the center with some trees). wondering if the vet is overly cautious or if this is normal for young pups.

thanks!
kristin

·
Registered
163 Posts
This is normal....and good advice I might add!
You don't want the little thing picking up any nasty germs that can cause sickness at that young age.
Don't worry, you'll be going for walks in now time.
Generally after their second set of shots (and 7 days after) they say it's ok to go out and socialize, so you've only got a few weeks to wait.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Kristin,
Tina is right...best to wait. The most common advice from vets will be to keep your puppy inside until the shots are completed or take them to places you know are safe.
Even healthy dogs walk in places where sick dogs walk and parvo virus, for example, lives for years! When the virus is tracked in on the feet, it can make your dog very, very sick...often puppies die from the disease...so, I would say that your vet is giving extremely good advice.
You can enroll your puppy into a puppy kindergarten class if you want, generally they are in very clean environments.
Also when you do go for walks and play with your puppy, realize that until they are 18 months old, they are still growning and rough play and hard running/too long or difficult walks can result in injury.
I suggest that you take this down time to research various alternatives that you and your puppy can enjoy in the near future without risk to your puppy.
And, as Tina said, the time will go quickly.
It is still important to socialize the puppy too...a catch 22 for sure!
Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Follow the vets advise- however, expose your puppy to as many experiences as you can. Introduce her to other "safe" dogs, children, car rides, balls, baths, nail trimming, ear & teeth cleaning, the groomer, etc, etc. etc!

The more they are familiarized with these things at this early age the better!

Get the puppy training books by the Monks of Skeete. They are FAB!

Have a good, FUN, and safe time!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts