Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It finally happened!! We've stopped the itch!!! WOOHOO!!!

Cinnamon has been itching since we brought her home. We've tried everything you can think of, switching dog foods, shampoos, conditioners, anti-itch sprays, Bitter Apple (which she loves to lick off!), I mean everything!!!

I was talking to a little "Mom & Pop" pet store owner about this and she said her daughter's lab is allergic to grain and to go no grain. Well we tried it and IT WORKED! She's been on a no grain diet for a week now. This morning is the first morning Cinnamon hasn't woke up scratching. None this morning. Zero. Zip. Nada!!!!!

It's a wonderful thing!!! Just had to share!!

·
Registered
576 Posts
I hope it continues to work! What kind of food do you feed her? We've switched foods and I've noticed that Sadie's itching is waaaaay less.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
BECKY...what food is cinnamon on now ?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
YES please share! I'm at my wits end with Sandy and the itching!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She's on Natural Balance Duck & Potato. It's not easy to find, but it's easier than Canadae. It's kind of expensive, too. $45 for a 30 lb bag. I'm going to start cooking a little for her too, but that won't be an option if we go on a trip so I don't want to get her used to it.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I know Petco carries Natural Balance - that was one of the foods I tried with Tyke - she is now on the Solid Gold Hundchen Flocken - she would go for the one with the weird name!!!!
We don't have a Petsmart around here, but I would imagine they would carry it as well.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, Petsmart doesn't carry it. Petco & Complete Petmart (no S) (for those in the Cincinnati area) carries it but not PetSmart.

So far so good. I've only seen her scratch once so far. That was about 10am, but not to the point of being obsessive. Right now she's on squirrel patrol. Hey, got to keep watch on those suckers.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
It's kind of expensive, too. $45 for a 30 lb bag.
haha...yes this is the food I've described as "more expensive than crack" :) We buy it online at petfooddirect.com when I get a coupon code (someone on the doodlezoo normally posts it for 22% off). I forget how much we pay, but it's less than $45/bag.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Cinsmom...try calling Natural Balance customer service. They may send you coupons if you ask. Canidae is sending me coupons because I asked, so maybe Natural Balance will do the same!

Oh...I buy Angel's Canidae at Complete Petmart in Columbus and I get my 13th bag free.

I read somewhere that wheat is also a highly allergic ingredient.

·
Registered
2 Posts
More on Itching

Hello Listmates.

I have been reading the forum over the past week. What an awesome, supportive group! We hope to add a doodle to our family in the coming year. We have an English Pointer.

Our English Pointer was also itching a great deal when we adopted him and we tried various supplements and foods. We tried Grain Free Food and it helped but not completely. We finally realized that he was allergic to certain protein sources. We switched to Canidae's Lamb & Rice and his itching stopped. Unfortunately, most foods include many ingredients so it can be hard to isolate the itch-inducing ingredient.

Another excellent food to try to reduce itching is California Natural Lamb and Rice, this comes in Regular and Reduced Calorie. Each California Natural "flavor" has only a few simple ingredients so it is very easy to see precisely what is being fed. Heartypet.com seems to have the best online price.

Hope this helps those whose doodles are still itching.

Warm regards,

Andrea Vag
Hoping to Soon Add a Doodle to our family

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
HI andrea and welcome!!! thanks for such good info!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
P.S. Thanks for the great suggestion. I called Natural Balance and they have a frequent buyer card and they're going to mail it to me. Something like buy x and get 1 free. I just have to save the UPC codes :)

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
A buy one get one free offer sounds wonderful!
oh sorry if you misunderstood - it's more like buy 10 get one free (maybe 12...I forget the exact number)...either way it'll save us ~$40 at some point :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
itching

I'm noticing that my puppy is also itching like crazy. I contacted the breeder and asked about it but she said she believed it was due to little scabs that were healing from puppy rough housing with the other litter mates. Since I've had Libby Lu for over a week now I'm beginning to wonder if it's an allergy. A friend suggested cooking her meals of ground turkey, rice and peas. Does anyone know if it's really safe to feed this to a puppy or even an adult dog as their only diet?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts