Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, our vet had an Open House in conjunction with the exercise day care center (swim and tread mill sessions housed for in the same building) and cures for the overweight dogs. He says winter causes alot of that. Lots of dogs entered the "Biggest Loser" contest. A couple different dog manufacturers of dog related products were there too. We don't want Marley to lose weight, quite the contrary, but we thought it would be fun to go, learn a thing or two and see some other dogs. They had several nice dorr prize drawings too!! Have not heard that we won anything though. The vet used Marley as an great example of ideal weight, and said that its better to be able to feel the ribs easily. And if we kept him like this he will live a long, long life.

While there, we met another labradoodle. Over two years old. We were discussing that we made a grooming appointment for Marley whose "dreads" and over all hair lenght are starting to get a little out of control. The owners of what I assumed was an F1 said that he had never been groomed. Never cut his hair, even one small clipping!! "And he does not shed?" we asked and they said no. My question is, is that possible? Do any of you never cut or even trim your Doodles hair?? Is that possible? What's the scoop here?

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Jonah(F1) has never been groomed, except for a sanitary cut. He sheds minimally, usually during bathing and brushing. Rumor and Miko(F1B's) get haircuts though. Miko mostly due to the fact that she is a swifter duster..... :roll:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max doesn't get groomed either except for my trimming inch off his beard so my pants stay dry, and 1/2in off his bangs so i can admire his eyes.
Max the black F1 LD has a "hair" coat
so i brush him as he loves it, i relax and he barely sheds too.

Peanut gets clipped down every 4-5mos...has shaggy fleece

Beau is to be determined...he's still a puppy

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I know Cacao is a puppy but we wash her and cut her bangs. She has really cute curls. She stays clean unless she gets in the mud. She really like the mud.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Yes, it is true...as you can tell many F1 owners can attest to the ease of grooming for their dogs.
So often when people want doodles, they wan the beautiful, fleece coats but there is a price to pay, beyond dollars, for the fleece...that is lots of grooming! Wool coats are worse!
F1 coats are almost always easy care, although many do shed...still the shed is nothing compared to a Lab.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver has never had or needed grooming ..........
I have done a little sanitation cut but that is it.
He is a wash and go kind of Doodle who does not shed.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Tyke gets her "bangs" cut so that she can see, along with the little sanitary trim, but aside from that trimdown she got just before she was spayed, we have been letting her hair grow. I brush her every night before bedtime (seems to calm her down and make her sleepy anyway), and haven't had any real trouble with tangles. I LOVE the dreadlocks, and hope we can keep them, at least in the cold weather!

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have one of each! Calvin and Madge are littermates and Calvin has the shaggy F-1 coat but sheds like a madman! His coat never mats. Madge is curly and has dreads at the moment. She does not shed at all. I need to shave her in the spring because if I don't brush her daily (which she HATES), she mats and dreads quickly. Totally different coats!

Leslie

·
Registered
593 Posts
We never had Sam get a haircut, but unlike most of you with very adorable curly Doodles, he's a very cute lab-looking Doodle...

Sorry I don't know the terms... F1 and all of the genetics...

·
Registered
28 Posts
grooming

Cooper is an F1 Goldendoodle and only gets an occasional trim in front of his eyes and the top of his head so he can see. His hair is more curly on his back and wavy on his legs and front. So far he does not shed (he is 7 months). His hair is getting quite long though,and although it doesn't matt, he will probably have to get a puppy cut this summer just so it's easier to keep clean.

Shana (& Cooper the doodle)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Nope, Bigsby (F1B) has never been clipped. Just around the eyes and fanny when the groomer comes each month to give his bath & trim the nails. I should brush him more than I do but he doesn't mat. And no shedding to speak of - maybe a few wispy tufts in the corner from time to time.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Cali is an F1, sheds a bit and needs trimming to combat the ho,t humid TX heat in the summer. If it weren't for the heat I might not have ever trimmed her, although she had a mix and match coat. The poodly part does grow quite a bit and probably would have needed eventual trimming, heat or no heat.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Nicky is really shaggy in the avatar photo, but since then he's been groomed a couple of times and his coat is much shorter now. When he was shaggy I had to brush him daily because he'd get matted, but now that's less of a problem. Shaggy or not, he sheds all the time! I need to go vacuum now!

·
Registered
985 Posts
I think this depends totally on their coats. The groomer has left Chouette, an F1B, about two inches long all over the last two times, and I find her getting matted now, especially around the collar and under the ears. This was never a problem before, so I don't know if it's the length or if she's blowing her puppy coat at ten months or if her coat is just changing now. I am going to bring her back early - before the six week interval I'd planned - and ask for a shorter cut and then see where we are once that grows back. She still doesn't shed, but when I brush her I'm getting a lot of undercoat off in the brush.

This is an interesting question and it's neat to see all the different responses based on the different types.

Leslie

1 - 16 of 16 Posts