Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dexter is a doodle who lives up the street. His owners don't seem to like him very much and whenever I see him he doesn't look like a happy dog. The owners keep a no-bark collar on him when he's in the house. If Dexter barks, the collar shocks him.

What do y'all think about no-bark collars?

I feel sorry for Dexter.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
NOT good

any noise will set the collar off btw,, and the collar can burn his neck,, they need to NOT use it on him,,they have cirtonella no bark collars if this is a big issue and it wont injure him,, those shock collars are not good at all,,i used to use them, i do not any more!!!

·
Registered
462 Posts
I don't know about the shock collars, but if you think the owners are getting tired of Dexter, perhaps you can arrange "play-dates" for Dexter and you doodle. That might make Dexter happier?

Good Luck.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I've never know anyone who used a shock collar - I don't think they are appropriate for barking - or to leave on a dog all the time

I agree wtih kristin, maybe you could talk to owners and see if they would like to let Dexter come over for playdates - I hate it when people dont' take care of their animals. If they refuse play dates, you might wanna talk to them about the citronella instead of the shock collar - Very sad for the doggie :(

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I HATE shock collars!!! :evil: I used one once on a Springer that barked continuously until my neighbors complained. Poor TJ!!! The collar misfunctioned and the poor thing would be walking along quietly when the collar went off. He would leap straight into the air! When I saw this, I removed the collar and threw it away. Citronella collars were not available then. Don't remember what I did instead--maybe just let him bark--but I would never use a shock collar again!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dexter and Nicky have played together once. Dexter's owners were walking Dexter and they stopped by my house to drop off something to do with our Homeowner's Association. I suggested that Dexter might like to play with Nicky in my backyard, which is fenced.

We all went to the backyard, where the dogs played and the humans sat on the patio and watched and talked. The dogs were having a great time running Doodle 500s and wrestling. But. . . Dexter's owners wouldn't let Dexter alone to play! They kept trying to tell him what to do (or not do)! Then they took him home, just when he was really enjoying himself!

Dexter is a beautiful doodle, so I try to get along with his owners but we don't see eye to eye on dog training. I want Nicky to behave at home and out in public, so I teach him the "rules" and reward him (with praise, mostly) when he does things right. I'd never, ever use pain as a way to try to control his behavior! It doesn't work with kids, so why would anyone think it would work with dogs?

I'd be happy to have Dexter over to play again, but without his owners!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
i use one. i have no problems with it except my dog is smarter than the collar!! she knows exactly how loud she can be without getting a beep (ours beeps as a warning) and my dog knows how to shake her head to get the collar off her throat so she can bark withot setting it off at all!!! i bought our bark collar in june of this year when we moved to the city and honestly it oesnt work real well because my dog is too smart!! perhaps the older collars are more sensitive, but the new ones arent sensitive enough.

re: the doodle down the road maybe you could go pet him and slip the battery out of his collar! :)

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Raleigh has a bark collar too! At times he barks non-stop at Molly, which drives all of us crazy! Hush, shhhhh, stop it!, knock it off....non of these work...even with treats and praise....so...we invested in the collar and only use it when he gets himself out of control with the barking...most of the time now, all I have to do is say in a stern voice..."I'm going to put your collar on", and he stops!!!...smart doodle if you ask me..... :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I feel bad for Dexter. barking is natural for a dog and some do it more than others. like kids, some play quietly and others dont'.

Me? for some reason about 90% of the time barking dogs do not seem to bother me in the least. in fact my neighbor's dog barked for months when they first got him hahahhaaa so after a few hours we'd have max, peanut and their dog barking back and forth hahaaa i'd laugh cause eventually it stopped.

Max barks at Casper (the friendly ghost) every night and i try to tell him "casper went home, so you can stop" hahahaa

Peanut barks at ??? we have yet to figure this out though we think she likes to listen to herself? hahaha

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
you know i really don't like the idea of the no-bark collars, but sometimes our 2 get going and i consider it. Dex never barked so much before, but Kirby barks at a lot and it gets really obnoxious (i absolutely cannot stand excessive barking). we try the hush command, but it'll work for like 1 minute. we resort to time outs. we'll see if we can find something that works because i really don't like the idea of the shock collars.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver barks at everything that goes by our house.
I mean everything. Bird, squirrell, people, dogs, and the latest was the neighbourhood cat who thought our driveway needed a dead rat. Denver did not apprecaite that one bit so I let him bark awhile at that cat!!!!!
Anyway I taught the word settle to stop barking, and when that does not work, I ignore him and go to his toybox which immediately
gets a response from him as is always nosy as to what I may be doing.
Ends the barking everytime.
bahaahahahahhaahah!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
hmmm...you gave me a good idea Sue. Everytime i open the fridge both are at my side...i think i'll try that next time :)

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Jonah's not a big barker. But, this afternoon he's barking like crazy out the window. I think, squirrel....no. Dog.....no. kids.....no. I look out the window and there it is, the cause of the barking festival!! Are you ready??......a big plastic pumpkin in the neighbors yard!! :shock: :lol: Very similar to this. Now realize, he can only see the back!

·
Registered
273 Posts
We have someone in our neighborhood that uses a shock collar on there dog. It kills me when I see the 9 year old girl out walking the dog alone with the shock button. She came into the dog park once when it was just me and Dante and kept shocking the dog anytime it approached Dante. I tried to explain to her that her dog wanted to play and was being appropriate and that it didn't deserve to be punished. I feel so bad for the dog because I think the shocking is so inconsistent that it lives in constant fear.

Heather

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I can understand the use of a shock collar under
certain extreme circumstances...but the person
administering the shock should be well trained
in it's use and understand the timing, etc.
A nine year old isn't the experienced trainer
I think would be appropriate.

Also, the folks who leave the bark collar on all day
when they aren't home...I think is really, really awful to me.
There is no human reinforcement and praise involved
...no real training session....I think that is cruel.
I have a shock collar, that I was going to use for counter surfing
....have never used it.
Just spent lots of time working on it and try to be consistent....
Coco rarely gets up there now. Not that she wouldn't ever do it again....but just teaching and training is working.
8)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts