Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
So sad!
This is why you need to make sure there is someone onsite all the time at the kennel you use:

http://www.nj.com/starledger/stories/in ... thispage=1

NINE PETS GONE, WITH GRIEF IN THEIR PLACE
Tuesday, January 01, 2008
BY JULIE O'CONNOR
Star-Ledger Staff
A fire that killed nine dogs in a kennel probably was caused by the propane heater in the small building, authorities said yesterday.

The smoky blaze in the back of Candi's Scissors and Suds and Pet Palace Inn broke out about 6:15 a.m. Sunday, Jefferson Police Lt. Eric Wilsusen said. The business, on southbound Route 15, had an alarm system that did not appear to work, he said.

"Something happened with the central station alarm," Wilsusen said. "We got the call from a neighbor, and the fire was well under way at that point."

A schnauzer, two yellow Labra dors, a poodle, a German shepherd, an American Eskimo, a mini poodle, a golden retriever and a mixed- breed died of smoke inhalation, according to police and business co-owner Candice ****. The animals' owners began retrieving the remains yesterday from Lake Ho patcong Animal Control.

The pets ranged in age from 2 to 13 years old and belonged to families in Lake Hopatcong, Randolph, Succasunna and Sparta, **** said.

"One little poodle was like my child," she said. "There's nothing I can say -- how do you tell people, how do you look at people?"

****, a Landing resident who owns the pet motel with Gary Ci rincione, said she has been in the pet care business for more than 30 years and knows the pet owners well.

**** said the security system had been installed a year ago. The propane heater was mounted near the ceiling of the kennel, and part of the heater had been replaced just a month ago, she said. Authorities believe the heater malfunc tioned.

The kennel also features video surveillance so owners can view their pets from long distance. Staff would hold up the dogs to the live camera and have them wave to owners watching them, she said.

"The last picture that was on there," **** said, "was when the fireman was in there trying to pull them out."

At the pet motel, decorated with a Christmas tree and photos of animal clients, staff members chalked their sentiments on the wooden stalls that housed the nine dogs: "R.I.P., we will miss you."

No people were in the building at the time of the fire.

Jefferson Fire Companies 1 and 2 responded to the call, as did the Picatinny Arsenal fire department and members of the Morris County sheriff's and prosecutor's offices.

The smoky blaze was under control in about 30 minutes, Wilsu sen said.

Firefighters tried to resuscitate the animals, said Mayor Russ Felter as he stood outside the damaged building yesterday with his wife, Tami, who has worked as a groomer at the kennel since it opened three years ago.

Members of the six-person pet care staff normally arrive between 6:30 and 7 a.m. and stay until 11 p.m., Tami Felter said.

Her husband said: "It was a tragic accident. Everybody's hearts go out to the pet owners."

It's not unusual for local buildings to use propane heaters, be cause there aren't many natural gas lines in the area, Felter said. The heater in the pet motel was installed by the landlord two years ago, he added.

**** said she plans to hold a memorial service for the animals at Abbey Glen Pet Memorial Park in Lafayette, which will offer grief counseling for owners and staff.

Staff writer Kristen Alloway contributed to this report. Julie O'Con nor may be reached at (973) 539-7910 or [email protected].

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Horrific tradgedy and I too do not understand why they are left
unsupervised but it is a universal problem in shelters and vet offices etc.
Before I got Denver people would tell me "Oh you are lucky with just having cats, as you can go away and leave food and water out and they would be fine" I always answered "What if there were a fire in my home?"
I have never left my cats alone over night.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I too felt so sorry for the families and thier pets, that is a tragedy that if someone had stayed at the kennel possibly could have been avoided.

I have NEVER left any of my pets alone in a house overnight for any reason as i would never leave my kids alone either.

and like the article said, HOW does one say sorry to the pet families?
that is soooooooooooo sad.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
That is a horrible story. The scary thing is that you could leave your pets alone for any amount of time and something terrible could happen :(

It's like anything - there are some things you just can't think about or worry about because tragic things happen. I feel terrible for those pet owners - and the boarding facility too...

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
I do feel terrible for the owners of the kennel, too. They seem very caring.
I look for a sprinkler system too, along with someone on premises 24 hours/day. Even though the central alarm failed, maybe a sprinkler system would have activated to give them more time?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Leslie you are right as anything could happen at anytime
HOWEVER if using woodstoves, kerosene, wall or floor heaters etc
there is more likelihood let's say over using Natural Gas
even oil can be dangerous if not checked every so often
as my family and I once found out but luckily were away for the weekend or we would have been killed breathing in a silent deadly leak.

long story short: I have constantly have Dave check heating Vent for dryer, clean lint out , check out furnace , updated electrical, and more

Dave is a volunteer firefighter and OMG he is insane about checking our house for safety. This story broke his heart.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
When I was a child, my house was destroyed by a fire while my Dad was at the laundromat. Killed our pet bird, but our dog was with us at my grand parents house. The fish were fine. Started by a blanket from a bed that was too close to an outlet. Needless to say, I'm real careful where we put our beds now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
All I can say is that I am dissapointed with my local news. I live near this kennel and use it when I travel away from home. The owners have been nothing but fantastic, and I feel for them along with all the owners and families of the dogs that died.

I only found out about the fire after attempting to make a reservation - I was needless to say SHOCKED!!

This is a small town, I havent heard mention of it before. The article was in a sate-wide newspaper but I never saw anything in our local paper. I am so sorry for those who lost their pets, this is a tragedy. I can only imagine what would have happened if I had been away only a few weeks ago when this occured. I am sick at the thought. The lesson in all this, as many of you had stated, never leave your pet anywhere there isnt 24-7 supervision!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
:cry: This is a very personal tragedy for me as my boyfriend's mother was the owner of Scissors and Suds. These past few days have been like something out of a nightmare. Even though I was in Pet Palace the morning of it burning down it stills seems like it isn't real. I got the call from the mayor's who worked there shortly before 8 am when my boyfriend and I were sound asleep. I thought at first she might be playing some cruel horrible joke, but then I realized the woman was sweet and kind and there was no way she would joke about something like this. Once I arrived there she was the first person I saw and I ran to her and as we hugged we both started sobbing. About an hour later the police told the both of us Candi would have to start making calls to the owners. It was best if they found out through us as opposed to watching the news. I was in no condition to call the owners of the emergency contacts. So Candi and two other women, one a close friend of Candi's, the other also a friend of Candi's who worked at the shop part-time had the unfortunate job of calling the owners. Some of them had very much the same reaction as myself, it was some kind of cruel joke. Others were understandably heart-broken and screamed and cursed at the ladies and Candi. All of the people who helped out at the scene, all the firefighters, the Jefferson Rescue Squad (most notably a woman by the name of Kim), and the police were fantastic and supportive through all of it. Even the reporters offered the condolences and said prayers for all of us and the families of the little angels lost to the fire. I can't tell you how much I miss the dogs that we lost that day. All 9 of them were little angels and I will always remember them fondly. I am going to go to the memorial service they are planning on holding next week.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. I know as you do that these weren't just dogs, they are children with fur. That they were left alone is not an issue. It was an accident, pure and simple. Please let your boy friend's mother and everyone there know we send our deepest sympathies.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
This is just too awful to even imagine. My sincere sympathy to you and your boyfriend and his Mom. You are a good person to be there for them through the tragedy and heartache. You can tell how much Candi cares by her comments and the fact that she is holding a service and offering the owners and staff counseling. Make sure you get counseling, too if you need it, along with Candi and her husband. Sometimes with all the 'doing' that needs to be done in a tragedy like this, it does not hit you until everything is over. My thoughts and prayers are with you and the ***** and the families who lost their beloved pets.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I appreciate everyone's kind words. Today is going to be hard as it would be one week tonight since I saw the dogs and said goodbye and told them I loved them. My boyfriend was supposed to work last Saturday, but his brother was up for the holiday so he offered to work for him so we would have a four day weekend as opposed to a three day weekend. Knowing what I know now I wish my boyfriend and I had gone last Saturday and been able to spend more time with them. :cry: This will be something I regret for the rest of my life as I was closer to these dogs than my own and spent more time with them. Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do to change the past at this point. The community has been so wonderful and understanding as well as family, friends and everyone who works with Candi. She is in the process right now of making funeral arrangements with Abbey Glen. I'm still unsure of the date of the memorial service but I will try to keep you guys updated if anyone is interested in going.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
my heart and prayers go out to all affected.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts