Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK something I don't know about. How soon after spaying can you bath a dog. Also, does it increase peeing, or is this just a new to the house thing. She's peed....seems gallons...outside and 3 big puddles inside. Should I limit her water, she seems really thirsty...I know part is nerves. Jonah has finally settled in with HER chewy, so she is exploring.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Hi Gene:

As far as bathing I was told if they are outside stiches then to wait a week to ten days for a Neuter or Spay. Denver's stiches were inside so he could have a bath sooner. (according to my vet)
Hopefully the Breeders will add to this subject.

Here is a link for Spay Incontinence
http://dreambarks.com/incontinence.html

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
my little poodle peed every 5 minutes seemed like. vet said a little swelling could be pressing on his bladder and making him go frequently.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi Gene, wait 10 days before bathing Miko, then bathe away!!! If she is drinking a lot of water, that is why she is peeing so often. She'll settle in and get a routine going before long. I'm sure nerves are playing a part in it also.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Gene does she have disposable stitches?
Max was neutered Tuesday and he had to have a bathe today.
So i filled the tub up with 6 in of water and used a small pot to wet him with water. I managed to bathe him but didn't wet his stitches or under his belly at all and his tail too.
BUT since MIKO is new to you and also just got spayed i'd hold off a bit if possible.

She's peeing alot due to new surroundings, being spayed, nerves and maybe larger than normal intake of water. Just watch her like a hawk

she settle in within a week or two. Watch out for poop contests as one or two will happen --a dog thing :roll: hahahhahaaa

congrats again GENE!!!!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Gene, I agree that the bathing should not happen for a while. As in any operation, human or canine, the healing needs to happen and soaking in water could make an infection take hold. You can get some dog shampoo wipes that can be used when you can't bathe her...the wipes stink, in my opinion, so for me a wet wash cloth would do. You can also use a conditioning spray (scented) for her coat and then brush her.
I would not withhold water. I agree with the others that her increased urination could be for a number of reasons but I think that she has probably been holding it as long as possible during the trip...also, females will mark their territory too sometimes. Maybe that is her way...often males will urinate over the female's to mark her as under his protection. (It's really a very sweet gesture...no really!)
One thing I would suggest is that when you take Miko to her vet appointment, you mention her frequent urination. She could have a urinary tract infection which causes the frequency.
But, related to control of water intake, I often suggest this article: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Conten ... C=0&A=2314
You have your work cut out for you, but after a week, your home will begin to feel normal again. :wink:

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Annmarie, she has no stitches they used glue. So far this morning no accidents in the house. She even seems to be letting me know....Jonah's poor little chew toy! He's been pulling her by the ears! :shock: She's in my lap now for a break. Of course, so is he off and on!! :lol:

Jac. I'm calling the vet monday fo an appt just to get her checked out. Itt seems she smells much better now that Jonah's been giveing her mini baths with his mouth!! :roll:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts