Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everybody. My dog Chaco is an F1--black standard mom, yellow lab dad. The lab is a field champ, and Chaco is sweet and smart, a wonderful dog, athletic, mellow, easily trained. I have chickens, so I wanted a puppy to train, and he's perfect with them--defends them, lies around with them and also respects cats (he was trained in a few hours by my Siamese to not mess with the feline set). He's a year and a half now; the vet says he's one of the smartest dogs she's seen. I would like to breed him but don't want to travel outside Northern California. Because he's so lovable, I could place pups with friends.
PS--he's a great swimmer and retriever. He'd be a great duck dog if I were into such things.[/b]

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi, I just moved from Mendocino County...small world, eh?
I suggest that you do a search of this forum to find out what types of testing to have on your boy and then start looking for a breeder who owns a female...I'm not sure what you mean when you say that "you can place the puppies" because generally the sire is used for stud but the owner of the dam is the one who places the pups...but I would be happy to discuss these things with you and help you out if I am able to.
Please feel free to PM me, if you would like.
You might find that his coloring is a drawback...as awful as that seems, black is not a great color for a breeding dog...I know...many of my litters have been, and still are, black! :wink:
He does seem to have some very nice qualities, so if he passes his testing with good scores, together with his ability to add new bloodlines, will make him more sought after.
Do you have breeding rights from your breeder? That is another thing that is very important.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hi and welcome :D
congrats on having a great doodle and you might want to introduce yourself in the INTRODUCTION section as well.

Jac has stated so many good points as she herself is a respected breeder.

1st there are Hip, DNA ( disease clearance and coat color genetics), elbow and cerf testing along with other tests if you are planning on studding him out or mating him naturally to a dam.

Placing pups: the same friends may not want a puppy when the time comes no matter how cute or lovable they are
or what if you have a litter of 12 puppies?
so advertising, health warranty and sales contracts that protect the puppy as well as you are important considerations.

The start up costs along doing much research is timely and costly as if anything goes wrong with the breeding pair and/or the puppies.
Also what if you boy doesn't pass testing or when viewing the whole picture isn't ideal? the time, money and learning is now posed with the question of neutering him and Not breeding.

I am not sure if you are planning on stud service or getting a dam to breed but breeding is great and many do it for the Love of the doodle and trying to maintain it's integrity and why it was created :service dog with excellent temperament, good health and structure, low to nonshedding coat and more.

Good Luck and possibly researching the internet on breeding articles is a great start.

here's a a couple
http://www.goldendoodles.com/Health/health_tests.htm

http://www.idog.biz/Doodle%20Articles/R ... eding.html

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Mendocino,

Jac and Annmarie have outlined all the things to think about before using your beauty for a stud....( any pictures?) and there are even more things to consider....but starting with those they mentioned is a great place to begin and you w ill cover most bases.

Since getting my Coco, I have spent countless hours online researching the whole breeding business....from the testing which is absolutely necessary, to all the supplies and food and shots, worming meds, the microchipping, etc etc. things needed to whelp and raise the litter, until they go to forever homes....considering the money invested up front....compared to what could be made selling puppies....and believe me, with so many variables making money isn't a good reason to breed....it's hard to do !!....And with all that said, it is usually the one with the dam that does all that part and places puppies in homes.....not the stud owner....Stud fees and working out with the owner of the dam the particulars of that deal is fairly negotiable, I think Maureen said...so that would be a good subject to research....making sure the dam has been
tested, etc. Oh, and Annmarie brings up a good point, I think I would want the breeding rights from your breeder in writing.....so I could stud him with confidence that all is in order.

Anyway, I have done tons of homework now for a year and a half and plan to breed in a small- time way beginning this coming December,
if Coco's hip testing comes back with great scores.
I absolutely LOVE labradoodles and goldendoodles and
am very excited to do this.
I know the drawbacks and expenses and still I want to pursue this whole venture.
Someone posted a couple of good books to read....one is very detailed, I feel like if I studied it long enough I could be a vet!!
The books and online articles have helped me a lot...
along with Jac and Annmarie and Nancy, and all the others here on the forum with experience and knowledge.
I read a lot of forums for the information and to learn, but only post here. I don't have time to type all day and I am so blasted long winded that ~ if I did, I'd never get anything done around here!! And some only allow breeders to post and technically I am not a breeder YET!

It may be that you are already familiar with breeding to some extent and you may only need minimal help and guidance....sounds like maybe you have room to do this...
OH, I keep forgetting you may not have puppies at your place.....anyway.....
I hope you will really consider all that is involved
and if you still go ahead...well, then take advantage of the help available and take to heart what all have to say.
There are so many great people here ~
THIS FORUM is addictive....others will vouch for that!!

And Welcome to Doodle Land!! It is a marvelous place!!
Good Luck!
8)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
newbie human, superhuman labradoodle

Wow, what great responses. Clearly I haven't thought all this out--just responding to people begging for Chaco to sire some pups. He's chocolate, by the way, not black. If I can figure out how to post a picture, I will...but I'll have to wait 'til I get back to work, where all photos live.
Meanwhile, I'll study these responses; no problem with breeder--I wouldn't describe the breeding as an accident (she has both dogs) but more a whim; she breeds labs, not labradoodles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts