Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
This is my first post, but like many others I have read ALL the posts since we made the decision to adopt an Australian Chocolate Labradoodle a few weeks ago. I have learned SO much by everyones experience and knowledge and appreciate the great resource. We pick up Brandy on Monday, June 25 and I have a couple of questions. (and a picture if I can figure it out!)
1) I have a "wire" crate that I will be setting up in our living area to be her "home" when I am not watching her like a hawk! I would like to get a second crate that is more portable for our summer home, a condo near Lake Michigan (and only 1100 sq. ft.), for traveling around town for meet and greets :) and for moving to the bedroom at night if necessary. There are so many different choices that I thought I would get input from you all first before I made the investment. What would you suggest?
2) We also have an 8 pound Yorkshire Terrier name Samson. Sammy is used to another dog around. We lost his "sister" an 11 year old Sheltie this past January so he has always been around another dog. What do you think is the best way to introduce them. We were thinking in the back yard in "neutral" territory, play for awhile, then bring them inside. How have you handled this situation so as to make the transition smooth.
I am sure I will have many more questions. Thanks in advance for all of your expertise and knowledge and willingness to share.
Linda
Now for the picture. If it is too big, maybe someone could tell me how to resize. THANKS![/img]http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa109/jewelinda/L1000221.jpg[/img]
OK that didn't work. HELP someone?? What did I do wrong?

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Is this the one?

I like this one also!

Both are beautiful.!!

I know they sell collapsible soft sided kennels, but I have no experience with them.

Welcome aboard!! You'll learn alot hear, and laugh even more!! :lol:

G

·
Brandy is gorgeous!!!! and so is your daughter!
I tried a soft sided collapsible crate for Bella for the same reasons you mentioned (vacation, portability etc) She HATED it. I have never, ever seen her so upset as when I was trying to get her in that crate. Sooo, I took it back and bought an additional wire crate. They collapse very easily to flat and she was used to it and liked it.
If you want to try the soft side ones, I got an inepensive one from Target, not sure if they still carry them though. I know others have tried them and love them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gene, THANKS for getting the picture up for me. Yes, that is the right one. Evidently you have access to ALL my photobucket photos as I only tried to post the one of Brandy. (how did you do that????)
Linda, thanks for the compliment. That is my GRANDDAUGHTER Kendall (or KJ as we call her) She LOVED the pup!
I will be posting more pic of Sammy as he was jealous that I didn't include him!. I did see the collapsible soft sided crates but wondered about "accidents" and cleaning it and also about chewing. Could a bored doodle chew her way out of a soft crate? We almost named her Bella! (and also considered Delilah to go with Samson :) Can't wait for Monday!
Linda

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Welcome! Brandy is gorgeous... and so is your granddaughter. I have to admit - I love the name Delilah though - its the name I've chosen if we wind up with this particular female doodle I've got my eye on!

Welcome to the forum - stick around and keep us updated!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Wow! What a gorgeous pup!! Your grandaughter is gorgeous, too!!

I have no experience with the soft sided crates.....but my doodle could probably chew her way out once she got started on it. I sort of think the collapsing wire crate would be best....they like to be able to see out easily. ...though Coco likes her vari crate with just the little windows on the sides and wire door. Not too easily portable, but doable. Unscrewing the top from the bottom and stacking...you can load luggage into it, utilizing space in the car a little better.

As for introducing the two dogs..... I think outside first, maybe not even on your property?? I don't really know, if they hit it off, it may not be a problem at all. Someone else needs to comment on this.

Welcome!! You will have such fun with Brandy! ( I love the name Delilah...though it would end up being Lilah for short around here! Having a Samson....it's sort of fun....but I like Brandy as much! )
8)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the compliments. I feel like I know you all as I have viewed all of your pictures many times and I know all of your doodles.
My husband thinks that all I have done for the past 6 weeks is view these boards. Hey! I am doing my research, right?
Thanks for the welcome.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Linda, according to the other Linda, I'm somewhat of a stalker! Actually, from trial and error I know alot about photobucket.....I searched the name in the original picture post try. In your photobucket, left click on the bottom of the three lines under the picture, then right click and paste in your message. That easy....... :wink: And since we want no jealousy...

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
oh your puppy is SO cute (the children are adorable as well!) :)

We had a soft sided crate for Dexter for when he went in the car as a puppy and he loved it. He stayed in it until he was getting a bit too big for it (especially in the car). I think we got it at Target.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Gene for posting the pic of my grandson as well. That is Jackson, KJ's older brother. He is 5 and she is 3. Puppies are 7 weeks. The puppies the kids are holding are others from the litter. This was "choosing" day and the darling we chose is in the top picture, the one that I am holding.
These boards ARE addicting and I was addicted the minute we started researching a couple of months ago. In fact, quite often I was bummed because there were no new posts! (do you people have other lives or something??? :D)

I did see the softsided crates at Target and I happen to have just won a $100 Target gift card and I think it will be all spent on Brandy.

How about toys and chews??? I have nothing but a rope now. Our yorkies is not a chewer and never has been. What do you recommend to start out with for chews and toys. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Puppy Nylabones
Anything that squeeks - Check the squeek at the store and choose some that make different sounds. Sandy has this one that squeeks one way on the head, and a deeper squeek in the body. He LOVES it.

The other one Sandy loves is his mooing cow - you can get them at petsmart, but we have the Christmas Tree shops around here and I got it for just $1. So if you have any discount stores I'd try them :)

Those are the favorites here - We bought a kong but I lost it and am too cheap to buy another!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Linda, I was having a senior moment, ans finally realized that Sammy is your other dog! :oops:

At the puppy stage, a good kong is a great addition. On the stuffed squeaky toys, they will destroy them, so cheaper is better. Dollar store, dollar tree, big lots, etc. At Petsmart they have Ruffies...they're rubber with a squeaker and my moose...I mean Jonah....still hasn't destroyed it in 2 months. This is the dog that can disassemble a couch!! :shock:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
LOL Gene - Sandy hasn't destroyed a single toy yet! We still have all the ones I bought him at the very beginning, plus a few new ones! Nothing has come apart yet!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi Linda, just too many cute genes running in your family and now you are adding another :D Way too cute for words :!:

I would not suggest a soft sided crate for your new puppy but a wire crate or pet carrier (the plastic one's with little windows) would work great. If you decide on the wire crate, just be sure to take her collar off before crating her. There have been incidents of puppy's getting their collars caught and hanging or suffocating themselves, horrible. Another little tip would be to throw a sheet over the crate at night to make it more den like. This sometimes helps them to sleep longer and feel more secure.

As for chew toys. I also like the dental bones. Also the rope toys (just take it away once it gets frayed) and the kong toys. The kong toys are expensive but well worth it. They make different fillings for the kong toys that you can squirt into the ends of the toy and then freeze the kong. Then when you are away and have to crate your puppy, you can toss in a frozen kong filled with yummy filling (cheese/peanutbutter) and keep her occupied for awhile. This is also very helpful and soothing when they are teething. All puppies love the squeekie toys, just always make sure you are supervising your puppy when she is playing with one of these toys. Never leave a soft, squeeky toy in her crate with her alone. Puppies can swallow things and they can cause obstructions to their intestines.

Be sure and post new pics when you get your new puppy home with you.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Welcome from another Michigander !! We live in Saugatuck !! I have a feeling we are practically neighbors. We have Lizzie and Louie--2 1/2 year old chocolate siblings. Your pup is beautiful ! Looking forward to hearing more from you. Kathy, Lizzie and Louie.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
debbildog said:
LOL Gene - Sandy hasn't destroyed a single toy yet! We still have all the ones I bought him at the very beginning, plus a few new ones! Nothing has come apart yet!
Give it time...... :wink:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts