Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new doodle owner, we rescued a labradoodle in September and he is a real sweetheart, dad was a lab (golden) and mom was a white standard poodle. "Digby" as we call him is a great dog, we lost a lab to cancer in July and really weren't considering another dog since we also have an 11 yr old schnauzer. Anyways, my husband brought him home after I checked him out, he was so cute and like a stuffed animal, he was 9 mths old. When he came to live with he was WIDE OPEN! he has settled in great with our family. He has turned out to be a wonderful companion and well as a bundle of love and he makes us all laugh! :D He is 55 pounds and loves to ride in the car and chase our cat and when outside bark at my horses!

I was reading through some of the posts and the one of diarrhea caught my attention, :wink: he has had two boughts of it in the past few months since we owned him. First was due to change in food, but cleared up in a day. Was on Low residue food from the vet, and then he was fine but before thanksgiving he had a dental bone thing and was sick for 4 days, he was taken to the vet after the 2nd day because the poor thing was so sick. We went away for the holiday and when we got back it was cleared up with medicine and diet. So I guess he has a REALLY sensitive stomach, intestinal track so I have to be careful what he eats. I have now got him on LR food and am slowly switching him to Nutro sensitive stomach food. He is doing great thought.

My question, is that a common occurance with doodles? diarreha
This guy drinks water and drools all over like a great dane (grew up with them) do they all drool like that?
What are the F1, F2 etc. abbreviations for?

Thanks for letting me share! :D

Chris and Digby

·
Registered
972 Posts
The poodle side causes some of the sensitive stomach issues. Watch the treats you give him, that can definitely cause it.

the F1 labradoodles are first generation; a mix between a poodle and a lab.

The F2's I believe are labradoodle to labradoodle

and an F1B is a labradoodle bred back to a poodle.

Welcome to the forum and post pics. We would love to see him.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Chris and Digby! Welcome to the forum!
Shannon has given you perfect answers...so I just want to join her in her welcome. We are glad you joined us!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Welcome to the world of Doodles :)

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Mine don't drool but when they get a drink of water, they do make a mess because of their beards.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I am with Diane on this issue...my dogs don't drool but they do poke their noses in the water and dribble it everywhere! Acutally, mine used to sleep with their nose, ear or paw in the water! But, no drooling. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts