Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just adopted a 15-month-old labradoodle through rescue. Her name is Zoe. She is a complete love bug. I will be bringing her into my home this Sunday.

What are definite must haves?

Her gorgeous mug shot

Sitting pretty

Right after the adoption was finalized

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Welcome Karena and Zoe!
Zoe is a beauty! ...I must say...I don't see any Poodle in her, but she is a gorgeous pup! I love her sweet face and it looks like she adores you already! (And that the feeling is mutual...) What a wonderful thing you did, rescuing her.
Here is a good article, even though Zoe is home and you are not in the process of "preparing to bring her home" I think that the article covers most things you need. Some you won't have to worry about, obviously...but some of this might help.
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Conten ... C=0&A=2343

And check the archives of this forum...lots of good info!

Also, here is a nice article about crate training and it has other good training information toward the end of the article:
http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

I am very happy for you and Zoe and also very glad you decided to join us! Thanks for the pictures, she is a doll!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Her coat is much, much shorter than a lab. Her body is slimmer and her snout is more poodle-like. Her ears are pure lab. :lol:

Here is a closer picture of her coat.

I just got the contact of the family that surrendered her, so hopefully I can get some more insight into her background. We'll see.

Thanks for the welcome.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
She is a beauty.....welcome aboard. What a wonderful thing you've done. My Miko is a rescue also! They are super loving dogs! They know deep down what you've done for them. Congrats!!!

·
Registered
853 Posts
What a pretty girl - and welcome - we're glad you joined us. Perhaps she's been body shaved? Congratulations on your new addition! :D

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Congrats and Welcome
She is beautiful!!!
Denver's half brother Lokie looks like her coat wise
but he is chocolate. I would be very surprised at anyone who
looks at Lokie and says Labradoodle, but we know his breeding.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Welcome Karena and Zoe, glad to have you on board :)

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Welcome to our wild and crazy forum family!

Zoe has the body of a labradoodle, even though it looks like she missed the long hair. That's ok, don't have to worry about matting!

It amazes me that it seems like all the dood's have a certain way of sitting, almost like they're at attention - straight up, no slouching, like a poodle does.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Hi Karena!!

I love Zoe's beautiful sweet face and her smile!! What a lovely girl you have!! Heartfelt congratulations to you!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Zoe is beautiful !! I love seeing all the different "looks" of doodles. She looks so sweet, and really has that doodle attitude in the way she holds herself. From the little I can see of her feet--they look like poodle feet ! Our doodles really have feet that remind us of more poodle then lab. Doodles are all so unique---I just love that about them ! Welcome to the forum--will be looking forward to hearing more from you !! Kathy, Lizzie and Louie

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Zoe is a beaut! She is also lucky to have been discovered by you. May you have many wonderful doodle adventures together :) :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
She currently has a close shave, so it should be interesting to see what her full coat is like. :lol: The family that surrendered her is very genuine, but they made a wrong choice. They didn't have the time for an active dog, let alone an active puppy. Her old mom was kind enough to send me Zoe's puppy pictures.

I already have many collars, several leashes, bowls for food and water, dog bed, treats, toys and dog food (Canidae.) Plus I plan on picking up some bitter apple spray and Natures Miracle. She is coming with a crate.

I know I need to pick up shampoo and possibly, conditioner but I want to wait to see what her coat is like throughout the week and go from there.

What am I missing?

p.s. Is it Sunday yet?

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I think you covered most things - except a hairbrush (for combing her out) when her hair gets longer.

Good food choice w/Canidae!

We found that Dexter loves Nylabones so that's tops on my list of things to recommend. We ordered them from dog.com (Petsmart is really expensive). The chicken and bacon flavored ones keep him very occupied!!

Congratulations :)

G

·
Zoe is gorgeous!!!! Look at those beautiful eyes!!! I would get her some new toys to keep her occupied and some to run off her energy. They LOVE NEW toys! A kong is good, and Bella loves these velcro pull apart toys...she acts like she is tearing a vicious enemy to pieces and is so proud when she gets them apart! Oh and she really loved her honking goose, till she destuffed it and found the honker inside :lol:

http://www.amazon.com/Loopies-Watermelo ... 07-0052011

http://www.smartpakcanine.com/ProductCl ... NA-_-12976

http://www.smartpakcanine.com/productcl ... C11284x040

...And a harness for the car ride home.

Congratulations!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks!

Linda, where can I get a harness? I've been looking online but I feel like I've been looking in the wrong places. :? Any hints would be greatly appreciated in terms of size/kind/etc.

I do have a brush. It is supposedly in the box of goodies that her grandparents have already sent. Between my parents and friends, I already have 4 boxes of dog goodies on the way. :lol:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Harness

I'll assume you want a walking Harness not a cargo pulling Harness! In that case we found the "Easy Walk" harness by Gentle Leader to be a great training tool. After working with the Easy Walk for about 2 weeks Chewbacca became a champ at loose leash, well controlled (for a doodle at least!) walking.

Welcome aboard!

Chewbacca, Jim & Honey

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
She is already well-trained on a leash, so I won't need a harness to walk her (or rather run with her.)

I was talking about a harness type of dog-seatbelt. I thought that was what Linda was referring to. :? Color me confused.

ETA: I think I found one. Now, I just need to find one in a local petstore before Sunday. Plus I would rather buy one based on recommendations than a google search.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts