Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I am new to the doodle board, we got our goldendoodle boy back in April. He was 6 months old just a few days after we got him.

I am active on greyhound boards because we have had a retired racer for over 4 years now.

I was happy to see this Doodle board, because I have gained such knowledge from my greyhound boards.

Barkley is my doodle's name. He is so smart and so cute! We had him home 10 minutes and I told my husband he had stolen my heart. He does so well with my 2 year old daughter too. Really he is such a wonderful dog.

We got him from a couple in Alabama (we live in Birmingham) who could no longer keep him. They had just had a new baby and the husband's work kept him away most of the time. So the wife had a toddler a newborn and a puppy to deal with. She did not have a fenced in yard either so that made it all the more difficult.

He is such an avid hunter, are all doodles? He sometimes won't come in from a potty break because he is just sitting under a tree looking for a squirrel. And the other night he met an opossum in our backyard but luckily I saw it and DH and I were able to get him away and get the opossum out of our yard!

In any case I wanted to introduce myself, Amy, and say hello.

Here is a photo of Barkley and our greyhound Sissy.

And one when he first came home

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Hi Amy and Barkley. Annie and Tanner here. Barkley is very handsome..love the brown whiskers and beautiful coat. This is a great forum and there are so many with so much experience...always ready with an answer or a joke to lift your spirits.

Tanner goes to daycare and has a greyhound bud that looks just like sissy :)

As for hunting, Tanner's hunting ability is mainly limited to balls....especially fuzzy tennis balls..favorite game is to roll them under the couch and dig and whine until we retrieve it for him...gets old after 20-30 times :lol: :lol:

Anyway....nice to meet ya :wink:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
hey, WELCOME, Amy!
Barkely and your houndog are lovely! Shoot, a nice-looking black Doodle is hard to beat, and in my mind, I can just imagine that silky soft coat of a greyhound. I researched them, years ago, and the whole rescue process when I was searching for a non-shedding dog. But I wanted to breed whatever we got, so we got a Poodle, and by the time she was grown we heard of Doodles, and THAT is all she wrote! No brainer since we were loving Labs but not the shedding!

Anyway, welcome, welcome......make yourself comfortable!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Maureen, good thing you went with the poodle. Greyhounds shed more than any dog I have ever had! I sold my DH on them with that tidbit I got off sites and well lets just say if she gets on the couch, you know it!

I have always admired Doodles, DH wanted a Lab and I wanted a poodle for a while now. But Barkley came along and needed a home so we gave the goldendoodle a shot. I am so glad we did. We have a Labradoodle at church from time to time, a service dog. They all are so cute!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Welcome Amy, Sissy & Barkley!

Cinnamon is not a hunter. She doesn't have the nose for hunting. She does like to chase squirrels, but she couldn't find one with her nose. She definitely is a visual hunter.

We had a cocker that could find anything with his nose. You could tell the exact path the critter took through the yard. Not Cinnamon. However, if she does see something, she remembers where it was and will look in that same spot every time she goes out.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Nice to meet you Amy and your new doodle and your brindle greyhound..welcome!!

the only thing both my doodles hunt are ants!!! if i could stretch their snouts they'd be anteaters hahahahha

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Welcome Amy and kids!! Love the brown beard....just like my Jonah!

My 2 aren't hunters, but I too had a cocker that was great on the scent. When he got up in years and had cataracts, he ending up following the trail backwards! He could never figure out why he couldn't find the bunny/squirrel/cat! :lol:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
gorgeous dogs!

yes to the hunting thing! we recently moved from the country where my doodle and poodle were the official rabbit patrol, to the city where it took them three days but they did it - they got a squirrel (DH saved it, but it was pinned by them) anyway its now all about staring all day looking for a new squirell!!!!!

·
Registered
183 Posts
My doodle, Fred, is a hunter--we live in a rural area and he hunts the small animals--mice, moles, rabbits--that are in the yard.

Does Barkely do the "doodle 500" as so many of the dogs on this forum? It must be quite a sight to see a doodle and a greyhound racing around the yard!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts