Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. After losing our lab, Lady, of 10 years, have decided on looking for a Labradoodle. We are wanting one that doesn't have all of the curls of a poodle. Are we correct in thinking that we need to look for a F1 breed? Any help would be great.

Thanks
Val

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Hi Val

Welcome - sorry you have lost your "lady". From what I have seen, most F1's are a "flatter" coat and most do some shedding but no guarantees on anything. I do think you'd be more likely to find the flat coat with an F1 though.

Are you looking for a puppy or a rescue dog? I think Tink, has some F1 puppies left about 4 months old - she is in Wisconsin Just type her name in the search at top of page if you are interested

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your input. We will be looking for a puppy and our 2 boys are very excited for our next dog!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Welcome to the site!
An f1 would be most apt to have the straighter more easy care coat. They're also more apt to shed some, but usually far less than a purebred lab.

I've sent you a private message... please just look for the link to it toward the top center of this page.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Welcome to Doodleland
Tink has gorgeous puppies.
I have an f1 who does not shed but most do, although not as much as most labs, from what people say..........
Good luck in your search..............
This is my boy as a baby(5 weeks) and then curently at 19 months

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Thanks Sue :D

I love that grown up picture! His coloring is SO pretty on that one.
I personally love the looks of the f1s. Having one poodle to keep groomed is plenty for me. While their curls are pretty, I don't need another high maintenance coat to keep mat free so I understand that part very well.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I personally love the looks of the f1s. Having one poodle to keep groomed is plenty for me. While their curls are pretty, I don't need another high maintenance coat to keep mat free so I understand that part very well.
Ditto to the no grooming for me
I have nine cats that constantly need brushing and taking care of their coats so Denver being an F1 that requires minimal brushing is wonderful.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
LOL Mary

I've noticed that a couple of my pups do shed, but several don't seem to yet. I'm hoping that won't change when they've blown their puppy coats. The apricot male I have doesn't shed... but I don't dare tell that to prospective buyers, because I don't know if it will stay that way. :lol:

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Tink said:
LOL Mary

I've noticed that a couple of my pups do shed, but several don't seem to yet. I'm hoping that won't change when they've blown their puppy coats. The apricot male I have doesn't shed... but I don't dare tell that to prospective buyers, because I don't know if it will stay that way. :lol:

yeah thats my fear - I'd get a non shedding puppy who woould turn into a shedder which would effect my allergies

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
HI and welcome

I have 1 Black f1 labradoodle(max) and 2 f1 Goldendoodles(peant & beau)
max the black one he sheds mininally and sometimes not at all

Peanut is the cream one with fleece coat NONShedding
and
Beau the red one is nonshedding
goldendoodles ...most f1are very low to nonshedding
whereas Max has a hair coat the scruffy look

we have severe allergies and my son has bad asthma...neither of us are affected and i am fanatic about dog hair...we NEVER have dog hair on our clothes
max's seems to be fuzz balls that collect by baseboards , easily swept up ina a few minutes. and other times he doesn't shed at all...go figure!

good LUCK and please keep informed

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
MaxandMe said:
HI and welcome

I have 1 Black f1 labradoodle(max) and 2 f1 Goldendoodles(peant & beau)
max the black one he sheds mininally and sometimes not at all

Peanut is the cream one with fleece coat NONShedding
and
Beau the red one is nonshedding
goldendoodles ...most f1b's don't shed and have fleecy coats
where as Max has a hair coat the scruffy look

we have severe allergies and my son has bad asthma...neither of us are affected
and i am fanatic about dog hair...we NEVER have dog hair on our clothes
max's seems to be fuzz balls that collect by baseboards

good LUCK and please keep informed
Are you offering to send me Peanut :D

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Sorry for your loss. I JUST went through it too. We were so lost and lonely that we immediately got an F1 doodle.
He's only 14 weeks, so I'm not sure how much he'll shed.........hope I'm as lucky as annmarie!!
He's not going to have the poodle curls. He's more wavy. I specifically looked for that type of coat.
If you find a good breeder, they should be able to help you determine the coat to your liking as ours did!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Val,

Sorry to hear you lost your beloved lab. I can relate since we lost our 16 year old lab a few months ago. When we began thinking about another dog we decided that a lab was more than we could deal with at this stage of our lives.

So I started looking at labradoodles. We wanted an F1 because they are 50% lab. We wanted a smaller dog so we decided on an F1 mini. I've since learned there is controversy about artificial insemination. However, our vet said not to worry. And it's too late now, Abbey is the light of our life!

We are so happy with Abbey. She is only five months old and sheds very little. I only notice it when I brush or bath her. Big difference from our lab. The vacuum bag was full of lab hair but not our doodles hair! You can check her out on the links below.

Good luck.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
mary...now you KNOW peanut is my princess so she has to stay here and rule over the boys :wink:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi Val!

Welcome to the forum and land of doodles! Sorry to hear about your loss, but you are in a great spot to look for doodles and make new friends! I try to visit this forum when I can and every time I have, people are very sweet and helpful.

I pretty much don't have any more info to tell you than what has already been said, but if you want to stick closer to the "lab" look than the poodle look, you will most likely want an F1, or possibly an F1B. The coats of the F1 are the least predictable, however, they still usually (and I do say USUALLY) shed much less than a Lab. I had a litter of 7 last year and only 1 owner has called to tell me that her puppy "sheds" but it was still significantly less. I had 3 other owners call and say their pups don't shed barely at all...yeah! I kept one for myself and she's cream. I can wear a black shirt and only have a few hairs on me after totally hugging her and messing around. I love it, especially because I am a total Lab lover! I also have an F1 Goldendoodle and have found the same to be true. If you ever need anything, this is the place to ask. Or feel free to contact me. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
hello!!
The F1 generation is adorable...very cute in a scruffy way!
MY experience with ours, is that they shed EVERY bit as much as our Labs did. (I can show you my black jeans after loving on our yellow girl Copper if you want me to :wink: )

I have another idea.... oftentimes there is a fairly "labby" or "scruffy" puppy in an F1b litter...genetically there is likely to be at least one in every litter. The F1b build is typically lighter in weight, because Poodles are lighter, and there can be some shedding but what I hear from our puppy families who get those puppies from us is that the shedding is much less than their previous Labradors.

Also, I don't know about other breeders but I bring the price down on those scruffy f1-like puppies in our F1b litters. It makes no sense to charge the same, to my thinking.

Seems like it could be a win/win idea, from here. :wink:
I don't have puppies now, but you can email me if you want to, OR you can contact other breeders who post here about this kind of puppy in later-generation litters. just a thought.....I'm pretty sure Jacque had a puppy or two that might fit this description.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Labby F1b's & multigens

I also really like the F1 labby scruffy look, but we are getting a medium F3, because I just don't really want to end up with a 75 lb. dog.

Does anyone else out there know if it is the case that the labbier looking coats on F1b's & F3's are also the ones that may shed more than the wooly or curly coats? I thought that almost all F1b's & multigens were practically non-shedding, but I've seen photos of some of the labbier looking F1b's & F3's & wondered if those types shed some.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Barbara,

Your abbey is absolutely precious!!
Sooo cute! Aren't they a joy ?
Enjoyed the U-tube and photos!!

8)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts