Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm Jennifer, i started my own kennel up last augest, i'm going to be breeding doodles. I'm a new breeder with experience, i used to work for my uncle who breeds goldendoodles for 2 years and i learned alot from him, then i went to college, and got married. Now i work with my husband on his family's dairy farm, and we currently milk 170 cows in a double 10 parlor, and we are going to expand to 200 or 210 cows, and along with the cows i have my dogs and my horses. I decided i wanted to do something along with the farm since i have tons of free time during the day as long as we are not in the field. Most of my dogs are young, i couldnt find adult dogs so i bought some puppies to raise up, and made a deal with a local breeder on labs. I have 3 adult lab females, 3 lab puppies, 2 golden puppies, and 1 standard poodle pup.. My poodle is the sweetest dog, he acts so much older than he really is.. I spent enough already in my dogs, my first dogs i bought where the poodle and the goldens, and all 3 got sick and in the first week i owned them i spent what i paid for each dog in vet bills. Im glad i did too cause they turned out great. I am working with all my dogs on basic commands, right now they all live in one of our barns with the horses.. I have there kennels set up in back, its really nice. When i'm out there i let them all run, and they love it i just have to watch that they dont eat anything. This summer we want to put a nice fenced in area outside to let them run, and eventually we are going to remolded the barn, and then someday we are going to build a nice heated/air conditioned kennel. Anyways thats enough about me, i gotta get going.. Jennifer

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Welcome Jennifer, we are glad you found this site. There are a lot of nice people here and we are more than willing to help with any questions you have on breeding, etc. The main thing is to make sure your breeders get health testing done. Nothing can ruin all your hard work and years of getting a name for yourself than to produce bad quality puppies.

Wishing you well in your endeavor, it is a very rewarding job if done right.

·
Registered
197 Posts
welcome Jennifer!
What are the ages of your dogs now. You must be busy? St. poodles do make great pets.
Terri Lynn

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My dogs ages are
Snoopy 1 1/2 year old
Hope 3 1/2 year old
Brandy 2 years old
Milly & Lilly are about 8 months old
Spice & Sugar are about 8 months oldd
Mercedes is about 7 1/2 months old
Hogan is about 9 months old

snoopy is started in hunting had 2 months with a professional trainer, hope has always been a kennel dog, brandy we rescued from some guy and shes more of a pet, shes come along way i only play with her cause if you talk in a firm tone with her she acts like your going to beat her.. Then i've been doing basic training with the puppies, and hogan is really smart i have him coming, and sitting in just one day.. milly is doing well at sit, come and stay, spice and sugar come and sit, and love to fetch, and mercedes and lilly well they know your talking to them and they can sit but they choose to ignore the command and it really gets on my nerves, but after a while they listen.. i love working with them, cant waite tell i have a fenced in area to let them run while playing fetch so i dont have to worry about a car hitting them.. jennifer

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Hello and Welcome!
I guess you can start with your older dogs this year, right?

Good for you in your learning from your uncle too by the way.

Have you heard of the 'Premium' list for breeders who have health-screened their breeding stock? http://www.goldendoodle-labradoodle.org ... doodle.htm I would highly recommend you do the genetic screening if you haven't, but I bet your uncle taught you about the value in that as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts