Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
We added another doggie to our 3 dog household along with a parrot and ferret. (good thing im a clean freak LOL) Anyways, We decided this since our other dogs are in their last years. Our retired greyhound just turned 14. Guess i should get to the point. We ended up driving to GA and adopting a 13 month old labradoodle, Lincoln. He was great on the way home traveling in an RV. He is great with our two boys (1.5,4.5yrs old) while i dont approve it i had turned around and heard my youngest say "miiiine miiine" and giggling to find him sitting ON LINCOLN bouncing up and down. THANKGOODNESS he didnt mind it and just looked at me like "is this what goes on here" since i have made sure to not allow him to repeat this especially since we have only had Lincoln 4days. We were told he generally is afraid of men however loooooooves my DH. He knows sit, down, plays fetch. Last night i taught him
wave
high 5
shake
roll to belly

he is very smart and loves the attention and my greyhound especially likes having another big dog around. He started obedience class this evening with my husband and did fine with the other dogs and adults HOWEVER

he has growled at our neighbor and even her daughter, he growled at a little girl when we went to get ice cream after his class. ( My 4.5 yr old said Lincoln wanted ice cream :p

He seems very loyal and already very attached to us and checks on the boys when they are asleep. He got attached quickly tot he foster and she only had him for 2.5wks. The original family was nice enough to pass on info along with vet records however he was not socialized. basically if he wasnt crated to one room IN the home he was left in the backyard. He wore a ANTIBARK collar which the foster didnt of course have him wear however still gave it to us ( it is now trash)! When the foster was trying to show him he would growl at some men so she called the original owner and come to find out the husband HAAAAAAAATED Lincoln and always yelled at him :(

I m not sure if it is just coincidence however he growls at my neighbors german shepard and after barking at him the germanshepard went to bite him however he isnt neutered. Our friend down the block has a german short hair pointer that IS neutered and while he didnt play with him he was fine with him. However, he barked at our friend for MANY minutes my DH said. How come not at obedience class though?

My parents are coming over tomorrow to meet Lincoln and my mom is afraid of big dogs since she was bit by a big dog. However do you think it would be best for us to go to their house first before coming to ours?

Michele

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Just have your folks ignore the dog--NO EYE CONTACT and let the dog sniff them without them reacting. Lincoln will let them know when it's ok to pet him...mtd

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I totally agree with MTD...Kirby gets nervous when strangers are outside our house (he'll bark a lot at them - still working on this)...however once they are actually in our house he is all intrested and very playful (and then calm) around them. The other thing you can do is once your parents are inside and Lincoln is calm, you could have them feed him a treat (make sure he sits first). That way he will associate your parents with the yummy treat :)

Please post photos when you can.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
HI, wow and Congrats!!!!

Lincoln sounds like a sweet doodle and quite smart (as All doodles are) :D

Max is similar to Lincoln at times where he may bark at a stranger at the door but stops once I tell him it's okay. If he doesn't then he gets a 5min timeout in his crate and then is quiet as a mouse afterwards
(the only person Max doesn't like or calm down for is my EX husband hahahaaa oh well :wink: )

NOW at OB class, if you notice not many people are making eye contact ususally and/or interacting with you and your dog or at least that is how our OB class was. We were in training mode, friendly but kept our dogs separated from each other during class UNLESS we were doing Canine Good Citizen exercises.

We ALL can't wait to see PICS of LINCOLN :D

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hi my name is Alicia and my family and I also rescued a Doodle in December... He sounds somehwat similar to Lincoln, although I think my doodle has a few more issues we have to work on...

FloridaMama said:
Hello!

he is very smart and loves the attention and my greyhound especially likes having another big dog around. He started obedience class this evening with my husband and did fine with the other dogs and adults HOWEVERhe has growled at our neighbor and even her daughter, he growled at a little girl when we went to get ice cream after his class. ( My 4.5 yr old said Lincoln wanted ice cream :p
My Sampson continues to growl at other people wherever we go. Usually he growls a few times and then settles back down right away.

FloridaMama said:
He seems very loyal and already very attached to us and checks on the boys when they are asleep. He got attached quickly tot he foster and she only had him for 2.5wks. The original family was nice enough to pass on info along with vet records however he was not socialized. basically if he wasnt crated to one room IN the home he was left in the backyard. He wore a ANTIBARK collar which the foster didnt of course have him wear however still gave it to us ( it is now trash)! When the foster was trying to show him he would growl at some men so she called the original owner and come to find out the husband HAAAAAAAATED Lincoln and always yelled at him :(
Sampson was abused, most likely by a man. He won't go near my Dad and he has been with us since Christmas. He growls at every man he sees unless they are smaller or we are in an open area (we guess he feels like he can run if needed???)...

FloridaMama said:
I m not sure if it is just coincidence however he growls at my neighbors german shepard and after barking at him the germanshepard went to bite him however he isnt neutered. Our friend down the block has a german short hair pointer that IS neutered and while he didnt play with him he was fine with him. However, he barked at our friend for MANY minutes my DH said. How come not at obedience class though?
Sampson shows no interest in other dogs either. He won't play, just will stand around watching the other dog with a shy look on his face, He'll even hide behind me if the dog pesters him to play too much...

FloridaMama said:
My parents are coming over tomorrow to meet Lincoln and my mom is afraid of big dogs since she was bit by a big dog. However do you think it would be best for us to go to their house first before coming to ours?
Michele
I know that Sam freaks out and makes a big scene when people enter my house. Often, we have to put him in a room with the door shut and when he settles down he can come out. Otherwise, he barks and growls and runs back and forth (away from the people because he is really afraid and not mean)...

Maybe that would work???

CONGRATS on your new baby, he seems wonderful. It's so great that you adopted him... He sounds wonderful and you seem like he will get a GREAT home with you!!!

Can't wait to see the photos!!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PICS

OK i just uploaded some to the kodak gallery however i can figure out how to link it to here. Also could i privately email someone a picture of him for my advatar? i cant seem to make it small enough

Michele

1 - 12 of 12 Posts