Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/
NOTICE:
We are receiving consumer complaints regarding the Venison & Brown Rice Dry Dog Food, and Venison & Green Pea Dry Cat Foods. We do not know what is wrong with the food at this time, but we have heard that animals are vomiting and experiencing kidney problems. Although the problems seem to be focused on one particular lot, as a precautionary measure, we are pulling all dates of Venison & Brown Rice Dry Dog Food and Venison & Green Pea Dry Cat Food from the shelves.

Please discontinue feeding all Venison and Brown Rice Dry Dog Food, and Venison and Green Pea Dry Cat Food.

We are working closely with the FDA.
We will update this website today, as more information comes available.

NO OTHER NATURAL BALANCE PRODUCTS ARE AFFECTED

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Natural balance contains no wheat gluten. They are trying to sort out the reports of kidney problems and sickness. PETA has been saying for a while now that Vitamin D3 in excessive amounts could be the culprit.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2 ... all14.html

April 3, 2007

The animal rights group, People For The Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), says that excessive amounts of vitamin D in pet food might be the cause of the growing number of kidney problems and deaths in cats and dogs across the country.

PETA also called for the Commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration to immediately resign for his "complete failure" in handling the Menu Foods recall of 60 million containers of wet dog and cat food.

PETA Vice President Bruce Friedrich -- citing laboratory evidence -- today urged the FDA to refocus its investigation beyond wheat gluten and consider other possible contaminants in the pet food.

In his letter to Dr. Stephen Sundlof, director of the FDA's Center for Veterinarian Medicine, Friedrich said: "Wheat gluten is used almost exclusively in wet foods. However, the mounting number of complaints of illness and death in cats and dogs who had eaten only dry food strongly suggests that there is a second source of the poisoning, another toxic ingredient.

"Evidence from reputable laboratories indicates that an as yet unnamed ingredient may be to blame, perhaps a form of vitamin D."

Friedrich cited the following examples to illustrate his contention:

• A manufacturing error last year in the production of Royal Canin pet food resulted in excessive amounts of vitamin D3 in the food. This caused hypercalcemia, an abnormally high level of calcium in the blood that caused animals' kidneys to malfunction;

• Research in endocrinology at Cleveland Clinic has confirmed that high levels of vitamin D3 in animals' blood causes kidney malfunction;

• Symptoms associated with excessive vitamin D3 appear identical to the symptoms now being reported in dogs and cats. This has led "us to believe that this vitamin may be implicated in this new horror," Friedrich writes.

Friedrich asked Sundlof to let him know if the FDA is testing a wide sample of implicated cat and dog foods -- both wet and dry -- for vitamin D3 levels.

He also implored Sundlof to "please tell the public what other measures you are taking to get to the bottom of this crisis."

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Linda....once again you come to the rescue!!! thanks honey!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!
I just keep holding my breath every time a new recall comes out...and it is not just the inexpensive foods, so it is extra scary!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Linda said:
Thanks!
I just keep holding my breath every time a new recall comes out...and it is not just the inexpensive foods, so it is extra scary!
I completely agree with you about it being extra scary - I half expect it with the cheap brands but not with the expensive ones. Even though I know it can happen with any.

Thank you for keeping us updated!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts