Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are going to be bringing home our new puppy in May and was wondering how soon I could take her on walks and how long. I heard that we should avoid walks for the 1st 6 months.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
When you see your vet with your new puppy
they will tell you the info.
We did not take Denver anywhere other dogs had been until
he had completed all his shots at 16 weeks.
He was given permission by our vet to go to puppy classes at 12 weeks
because all the puppies were the same age and in the same stages of shots........ :wink: :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
576 Posts
Zoe said:
We are going to be bringing home our new puppy in May and was wondering how soon I could take her on walks and how long. I heard that we should avoid walks for the 1st 6 months.
I think you'll find that walks can start at 3 months or earlier...ask your vet.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I've been told you can start walking when they received their last set of shots...I think this happens around 13-14 weeks, but ask your vet :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
I did not know to wait. I live in an apartment and took my dog out to potty where other dogs had been and took her on walks at 9 weeks old. She seems fine, is there something I could have done to her?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was just asking becuase I thought it was best to wait a certain amount of time to prevent bone or joint problems.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I was just asking becuase I thought it was best to wait a certain amount of time to prevent bone or joint problems.
it's advised to not take your dog running with you until 1.5-2 yrs. You also shouldn't go crazy with really long walks at first. We started with 1/2 mile and worked up to 1 mile when Dex was a puppy.

Oh - it is ok for your puppy to run and play on grass (in the yard), but it's just forced running on pavement can be bad for their joints.

G

·
My vet told me that I should expose my puppy to all the things I like to enjoy (except for running) once she had all her shots. Maya was going on the boat with us at 4 mos and has been going on walks since then too!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts