Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Well, we have our new puppy. The breeder delivered him to our house today. He is sweet as sugar and very handsome. I will post some pictures soon. But, I noticed a little bug on him and called our vet. After taking him into the vet we discovered he has lice. The vet gave him the advantage flea and tick medicine. It's supposed to work. The puppy is obviously miserable, itching all over and his skin has scabs from the lice sucking the blood.

We feel terrible for our puppy. Tomorrow, I am calling the vet to see what else we can do.

Any suggestions from any doodle lovers would be so appreciated.

Thanks.

Susan

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Good morning Susan, poor baby. I would definately call the breeder and inform them that the puppy has lice. If your puppy has lice then the other puppies also have lice and the breeder needs to know this (which he/she probably already does). This just makes me sick that a breeder would deliver a puppy with lice. Makes me wonder why the puppy was delivered, did they not want you to see where the puppy was coming from? Had you ever visited the kennel?

I don't know anything about Advantage flea and tick treatment or if it works on lice but I know there is a dip that can be used that will bring quick relief for the puppy. Good luck and I'm sure your puppy will feel much better soon.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi. I am very concerned about the puppy. He is eating and drinking water and his poop is in good shape. But, now I noticed a big scab covered by fur on his face. I hope he does not have Mange. The vet technician confirmed that the bug he took a sample of is lice but when reading on the internet it could also be mange. That is very expensive to treat and sometimes it cannot be treated, it is a hereditary disease. I am going to go up to the store and get some medicated puppy shampoo. I am going to give him a good scrubing and maybe I will see more infected areas. I am also taking him to the vet again today.

I did e-mail the breeder about this. I have not heard from him yet. He seemed pretty reputable and I spoke with him on the phone quite a few times but I never visited because it was 3 hours from our house. I was planning on picking the puppy up at his kennel today, but, he shipped about 10 puppies out yesterday from O'Hare. We were right on the way. I saw all the puppies and they all looked like healthy dogs. So, I don't want to point a finger just yet. But, could you imagine waiting for a dog to be shipped and picking it up with lice. I am mad but I would be really mad if I had shipped the dog.

I just hope the puppy has lice. My kids will be heartbroken if it's anything serious. We just lost our first dog this past summer. So, we will have to see what happens today.

Thanks.

Susan

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One more thing, I did notice that the puppy is not scratching so madly this morning. He's so sweet and we already love him. You get attached so fast. He had a hard night, crying in his kennel. I took him outside a couple of times and he went potty right away. I did not take him out of the kennel though, I am sticking with him through his homesick stage. I have gave him his food, drink and toys in his kennel. I really don't want him around the house till we find out if he's alright.

He's sound asleep now. I am sure exhausted after crying all night.

That's it.

Thanks again.

Susan

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I don't think I would be worried about it being Mange if you could see the bugs. Mange cannot be seen by the naked eye and is diagnosed with skin scrapings. I just read in my Home Veterinary Handbook that most insecticides do take care of the lice and that infected animals should be retreated weekly for 4 wks with an insecticide shampoo, dip or powder. Be CAUTIOUS on what you use and check with your vet before using anything you buy at a store. A lot of shampoos cannot be used on young puppies. You would be better off getting anything to treat him through your vet. I hope your breeder calls you back. Keep us posted and take care.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Susan, I am so sorry about your puppy's health condition. I don't have much to add, other than to affirm Diane's suggestions to treat this through your vet. It must be horrible for you.
I do hope that your breeder contacts you.
On the bright side, it sounds like you have a very sweet and loveable puppy...I hope he gets well soon so that you can all enjoy the hugs and play! I look forward to the bragging pics.
Take heart, your vet can help you get through this and it sounds as though this is something treatable.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Typically products like Advantage, K9Advantix and Frontline Plus should kick in and kill all lice (and ticks, fleas, etc.) within 12-24 hours. After a day, your pup should be symptom free, and protected for a month (you need to reapply these products monthly). If he's still itching and scratching after 24 hours, you should definitely take him to the vet again.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
My vet put our dood on advantage too, only for preventative measures though.I agree with michael that advantage should take effect within 24 hours of appication.Just a remainder , after you applied the advantage, don't deliberately bath/wash your pup for 3 days, as the gel could take up to 3 days to absorb into the skin, to take maxium effect.As this comprehensive product also protects against heart worm, and other intestinal worms no just the surface fleas and ticks.You need to allow time for the medidation to diffuse into the blood circulation system to take it effect.Best wishes for you pup.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for all the wonderful advice. I am following the vets instructions. He gave me a bottle of Ovitrol to spray on Biscuit. I did the application this afternoon. It made an instant difference. He's much better tonight. I used a flea comb and you can not believe the stuff that came off him. I should mail it to the breeder! But, my concern is my puppy. I don't care if I speak with the breeder again. I sent him a message about the problem and he knows what he's done. I don't need to say anything else. Shame on him.

So, our Biscuit is doing fine. We are enjoying seeing him begin to blossom and make our family his.

I will post pictures soon. My husband will have to help me.

Happy Hanukkah and Merry Christmas to all.

Susan Glassman

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Merry Christmas to you to Susan, you have a good heart :) Biscuit is one lucky puppy, I can only hope that the rest of the litter has found such a wonderful home. I look forward to seeing pictures.

·
Registered
6 Posts
lice

Hi Susan,
When we bought my puppy, she also had lice. We took her to the vet and they gave us the advantage medicine. Her lice had laid eggs, which the advantage did not work on. My family and I combed and bathed her with lice combs and special shampoo, but could not get rid of the eggs. We ended up taking her to the groomer. After her hair cut, we were finally lice free! It took a while, but she is well worth it.
Hope everything works out, and everyone has a happy holiday!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Well first welcome to the forum and Congrats on Biscuit, :) This one is new to me. This might sound dumb but I had never heard of dogs getting Lice and here is a dumb question is this like the lice chickens and birds get or is it different? Sorry to sound dumb...

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
They are very uncommon in dogs and usually occur in dogs that are run down and kept in poor conditions. I have no idea if it is the same lice that are found on chickens or birds. No question is a dumb question :wink:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
puppy growls

Hi. My puppy, Biscuit is doing great. He's a true delight. My kids carry him around and he just enjoys being held so much.

One thing I have noticed is that on occasion growls when I try to take something from his mouth (leash) that he's not supposed to have. Each time, I have pulled him up by the neck, and took the object from his mouth, he squealed a bit and I said no. I then pet the puppy. The puppy is only turning 9 weeks. I am trying to establish myself as his pack leader.

Does anyone have any advice on this behavior or corrections to use?

Thanks.

Susan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts