Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that we are only 11 days away from getting our new baby we are starting to get the "new puppy jitters". We plan on taking him to the vet within 3 days of getting him. He wont be due for his next shots yet, so this will just be a "all is ok visit". Could anyone here tell me what I should expect to happen at this visit. What kind of things the vet might be doing to our little guy? Oh and is getting a fecal test important? Any info would be great.... Thanks

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
What a doll baby! The breeders on this site can let you know what to expect. I know that many vets have puppy packages they offer you at this time that may include shots, heartworm, advantage or frontline and some even have packages that include neuter or spay. I think the fecal test is very important . . .
Diane (and Dakota)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Tell me about the fecal test...O.K., don't tell me EVERYTHING :lol:
Why? What are they looking for? My vet never even mentioned it...Leslie

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
What a beauty!!! Wow!

The exam is to be sure that your puppy is healthy when you receive him...they will check for parasites and general good health. They will discuss the previous health exams so be sure to take the records from your breeder to your vet.
If your pup has not yet been microchipped, they will want to do that (I highly suggest doing so) and they will set up a schedule for innoculations.
Many vets will give you a good deal if you pay for the complete puppy care (up to and including the rabies vac) in one lump sum.
I would take a fecal sample in, just to be on the safe side...you can go to your vet before you get the puppy and when he poops, get a sample and take it right in (or put it in a baggie in the fridge, yes, in the fridge and take it in the very next morning.)
It will be a time of general examination...your vet will tell you about what to expect and what they look for.
They will ask if your pup is on heartworm meds and/or flea/tick meds. If not, they will probably advise that you get some and regularly treat your puppy. If he is not getting regular meds, the vet may test for heartworm too.
Ask your vet if there are special health issues you need to watch out for in your area. There may be shots for specific things...
It is a good time for you to get to know your vet and their staff...and if you don't feel comfortable with any of them, start looking for another vet...you will have a long relationship with your vet and you want someone you can like and respect.
Ask lots of questions...dont' be shy!
Most of all, enjoy your new puppy!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
gracielou said:
My vet checks their eyes, ears, skin, weight, temp, listens to the heart and lungs, checks bites and gums, joints and of course the dreaded fecal. :roll:
mine too! and you didn't mention the education that comes with it about heartworms, flea and tick control and general well being!

I would expect all of the above (and maybe a free puppy book or food coupons) from all vets.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
dittos! you all have it covered!
It's good to have a baseline exam and introduction to your new puppy with a trusted vet. If you waited 4wk (til next shot is due) to go to the vet, well, neither you nor your breeder have that extra assurance that your puppy arrived happy and healthy.

Your puppy is ADORABLE!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts