Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi..my 10 week old puppy is constantly nipping,jumping and barking at my 8 year old golden..so far the odler dog has been pretty mellow .but I dont know what will happen if she gets really annoyed..should I correct puppys behavior and how should I do this..

val

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
seems to me the older dog will correct the younger one when she is ready. I would supervise their play for awhile. A puppy will be submissive to an older dog when the older dog tells them to be.

G

·
Your older dog will let the puppy know when it's had enough. When I first got Boyd, he would constantly mouth, nip, growl, etc. at our neighbor's 8 year old Golden. I went to stop it one day and my neighbor said not to worry, that Kodi would take care of it when he was annoyed enough.

Sure enough, one day Boyd "crossed the line" and Kodi let him have it. Boyd immediately stopped and was very submissive. One of life's little lessons.... :roll:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
even worse

Hi..I posted back about my puppy terrorizing my Golden..well its getting worst..now shes biting his ears, legs and especially tail..its constant..biting, growling.jumping on him..and he mostly takes it..will give a growl but that doesnt stop her..should I try to correct this..I just feel so bad for my Golden..is this normal..

val

·
Registered
65 Posts
I know what you mean. Our almost 5 month old is just like that with our daughter's mellow Bernese Mountain dog. I feel so bad for the big, older dog but she puts up with it and just moves from place to place trying to get away. Even though she finally might roar at him or swipe a paw and make him back off, the puppy starts in again before too long. Eventually I leave the older dog outside and take the puppy inside or put the puppy in his crate. I used to dog-sit my daughter's dog all the time but now they are making other arrangements because of the "puppy harassment." I'm hoping he'll outgrow it at some point but I wish I knew the best way to deal with it in the meantime.

We have been to a couple of "dog socialization" events but our puppy is SO enthusiastic and excited being around the other dogs that he's too jumpy and bitey and won't back off and leave them alone, even when growled at or snapped at by other dogs. I'm afraid he will get bitten or hurt but don't know how to keep him from doing it. I feel like an embarrassed mother whose child won't behave and "play nice."

·
Registered
66 Posts
This sounds like Hector versus Ellie, our 14 year old dog. She doesn't get around very well anymore, and Hector can knock her down just brushing by her sometimes! But he wants to play with her soooooo badly that he just won't take NO for an answer. He's 6 months old now, and it has taken this long to finally get some control out of him. Obedience classes has really helped, though. I wish I'd've known about the "settle" thing when he was 10 weeks old, maybe that would've saved poor Ellie some harassment! My trainer, Susan Marett, with Purely Positive Dog Training, recommended this command when the dog is too excited and uncontrollable. It works for Hector. You kneel down on the floor and place the dog on his side with his back to you. You tell him "Settle!" and literally hold him down on his side on the floor until he relaxes. This is not really punishment, however you are NOT supposed to be petting, or baby talking, the object is to get the dog to calm down. Also, you have to commit to this one. You can't let them up if they struggle. That is counterproductive and only teaches them that they can get their way if they try. It is NOT cruel, though. You can continue to tell him "settle" quietly, but don't get him excited with your voice. When you feel him relax, very carefully let him go, so that he continues to lay down by himself for a few seconds, then release him quietly. This leaves him nicely calmed down. Like I said, it has worked wonderfully for Hector. Also, because we have 3 small children, we needed to be able to teach them to calm him down, so one day my little Bella was with me at a private training lesson. She's 4 years old, and one of my concerns was that Hector was getting too excited and jumping and biting at the kids. Well, the trainer saw this happen, and she noticed that Bella was holding her hands up in sort of the "stick 'em up" way, and within 5 minutes, she taught Hector very easily that us putting our arms up like that meant for him to lay down. You don't even need to say anything to him! Now whenever he's playing with the kids, and they are uncomfortable with his boisterousness, they just stick em up, and he lays right down calmly! Then he gets lots of tummy rubbins as a reward (his favorite thing!). Also, the leave it command has been very helpful in getting him to leave Ellie and the cats alone. That's another one fairly easy to teach, and he'll back off of anything I don't want him to have. Unfortunately it doen't work for counter surfing! :wink: I haven't found the solution for that one yet! :D
Jenny

·
Registered
177 Posts
Since Abby was 8 weeks old I would take her to my brother's house who has a 7 year old Gordon Setter and a Shelty. Abby would charge Hanna the Gordon hanging on her ears, tail, etc. We never interfered and Hanna has been an angel with Abby. Now that Abby is 5.5 months old and close to 35 pounds she is much more relaxed and Hanna has given her the word a few times with a growl and nip. Polly the Shelty herds Abby and nips at her all the time, but we call her the old lady :) Abby knows with each dog how to interact and the older dogs seem to know they are dealing with a silly puppy :roll:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I should've mentioned that it was necessary for us to intervene with Hector and Ellie because she literally wouldn't do a thing to him to stop his behavior. He was so obnoxious around her that she wasn't safe. She was just too frail to handle his craziness, and she wouldn't take the alpha dog role. Letting the dogs work it out themselves seems like a great idea, and works out most of the time, but we couldn't stand by and let Hector make the end of Ellie's life miserable! :(
Jenny

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I received a private message about my post..its seems i have given the impression that I want to rehome my puppy..NOT TRUE..I just wanted advice on how I should correct her behavior with my older golden..

I hope this clears things up..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There was a message posted under stories that someone posted, but now me, about getting rid of my dog...someone must have gotten a hold of my password..I had no idea there was a message posted under stories..

thanks

val

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Things are fine..I think my older dog likes the attention..and all the nipping has given way to basically a lot of head butting and wrestling..I was really never around two dogs so I was a little freaked out by it...when my older dog has had enough he will lay down and then I just take the puppy away..

thanks for asking

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
vall22 said:
There was a message posted under stories that someone posted, but now me, about getting rid of my dog...someone must have gotten a hold of my password..I had no idea there was a message posted under stories..

thanks

val
I had a feeling you had no idea. We have too doodles, Lani was only 6 months when we got Toby, he was 11 weeks old. She was the one terrorizing him! I have to admit the interaction of 2 puppies/dogs was a little overwhelming at first. But now I wouldn't change a thing! Except giving them more alone time. Lani is OK with out Toby around but Toby is NOT OK when Lani is gone. I'm actually thinking about taking Toby with me to my mom's for 2-1/2 days just to separate them. Lani will be with my husband and daughter at home. We'll see..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts