Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading since we got Bella. Great forum with great members! We got our Labradoodle, Bella, at 8 weeks old, she is now 14 weeks old. We got her through a rescue group and did not get much background, except Mom was a lab and Dad was a miniature poodle. The rescue group had the whole litter of 5 puppies.
She has never been real affectionate. The vet after seeing her for 2 minutes said she is an 'alpha dog'. She does not seem to know how to 'lick' and will try to nibble or bite hands. She does not come when called, even after training for a few weeks. She will sit on command (when she wants to :lol: ) She also has these crazy episodes (about once a day when we are playing ball outside) where she will attack me and bite me. I immediately end the playing and have to do the 'leash dance' (hold the leash close to her head to keep her from jumping and biting, but not too close so she can't bite me) to get her inside to calm her down. I then put her in the crate. Very scary and frustrating!
Will she change and become affectionate? Are the attack episodes a 'puppy thing'? Will she outgrow the bite greeting and learn to lick?
We will attend puppy preschool in two weeks.
Any help, comments, words of encouragement are welcome!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi. Welcome to puppyhood! I know that biting can be scary. I can only talk about my puppy experience. Biscuit, bit terribly. In fact, I remember that there was a time that I did not let the kids play with him because his little teeth were razor sharp and he would bit into the kids easily. We have had lots of tears from puppy bites. But, that phase has passed. Biscuit has learned what to bit and what not to. I guess the best suggestion for biting is to correct and divert. I always said "NO" and then gave my puppy something he could bite.

Puppies will test their limits, just like kids. It's extra hard for them because they don't have their mothers around to bite them back. That's why socialization and interacting with other dogs is important for their development. We found a wonderful training center in our town. Biscuit goes their for day care to play with other puppies, and training. It has helped us through a lot of tough stages.

Good luck. I am sure you will find lots of great advice on the forum.

Susan

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum!
I agree with Susan...puppies learn to bite and continue to do so unless trained not to. Initially, puppies mean no harm when they bite, it is the way they relate to each other. The difficulty comes in when they begin to use the bite as an aggressive behavior.
It sounds to me like your puppy was never socialized and probably kept in a small space without much attention or love. (I could be very wrong, I am just guessing based on what you have said.)
My puppies bite me (I am a breeder and the litter puppies bite) when I am around and it is their way of "play"...but I always tell them "no bite" and hold their nose (gently...you don't want to hurt or frighten) and if the puppy licks for any reason, praise with "kiss!" and lots of love and treats.
Your puppy may well be more difficult to train, but perhaps not. What you need is someone to teach you how to deal with your puppy.
You may need a trainer dealing with behavioral problems but I think that your pup is still young enough that if you train properly, the problems will most likely stop.
Just don't let up on the training. Time slips away so quickly...and it is easy to let a day or two go by without training...then a week or two.
Your puppy will need constant training, at least initially.
This site is a good one for overall information: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jacque and Susan! Your dogs are beautiful! I will be taking her to puppy preschool in 2 weeks and will then begin to do some doggie daycare for socialization. They will evaluate her temperament before allowing her in daycare, hopefully she will pass. Thanks for the site, Jacque. There is a wealth of information there. I tried to gently hold Bella's mouth closed today and calmly say 'no bite' and she seemed to view it as a challenge :roll: Substitution with a toy works for a short time, but she still seems to prefer my hands and toes.
I did call the trainer from puppy preschool last week and she said the crazy episodes are normal 'puppy zoomies'. :D I have been reading everything I can get my hands on. Hopefully, she will outgrow this phase like Biscuit did. I think my worry was compounded by my neighbor adopting a puppy the same age and he is the CALMEST dog I have ever met. No barking, no jumping, no nipping.
Bella is a beautiful puppy. If I can figure out how to post a picture, I will. (Although it is really hard to get a good picture because she is all black and looks just like a giant furball in photos :lol: )
Thanks again for your warm welcome and help!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Hi and welcome to this forum you have been given good advice from Susan and Jac! Dogs are Pack animals so they have to learn you are the Alpha not he or she. Once that has been establish your life and the dogs will be much easier. The training is the best thing I can suggest if anyone on here knows me at all they know I believe in training 100%. I also believe that dogs for the most part aren't bad they just have bad owners who don't know how to train them or they have come from a bad breeder who really did not pay much attention to them. Good Luck and visit often and keep us updated and post pictures. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts