Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... so I got Bodzin at 5 months and he was pretty much crate and potty trained.
I am getting (yet to be named pup) next week and she will be 11 weeks old.
Questions:
What toys should I have ready for her? (I hate the fluffy ones)
How long can she hold her pee at this point? ( I work 7-3)
Should I feed her seperately from my older dog?
Will it be alright if their crates are next to each other?
At what age can I introduce her to the boundaries of our electric fence?

I have looked most of this up online, but keep getting confused with mixed messages.... some people say use the potty pads, others say no.... some people say don't train on the electric fence until 5+ months...

I have a divider in her crate and plan on keeping her leashed to me for a while until I know she won't potty in the house.

By the way... in case you didn't know... I went with the ALF3 puppy with the wavy blondish coat. Her registerd name is Summer Breeze... but we are looking for a nice easy name that isn't too girly.

·
Registered
80 Posts
am sure you will get plenty of advice on here from people who are more experianced but ill tell you how we got on with our dog as i got my dog at 11 weeks old:

1. toys the things i got was a dental bone\chew toy, a fluffy cat (she took this to be a litter mate and helped her settle!!

2. our dog could hold her pee for 2/3 hours at the start but crate training soon maade sure she could go all night without going!!
just take her out when she wakes, after eating and drinking and after playing, with the usual rewarding her for going in the right spot.

3. not too sure, but id would do qute a few small introductions together before they have there crates together (try sleeping next to the puppys crate and move it away from you gradually)

4. now, at this age puppies are always soaking up information, ive never had experiance of electric fences but im sure would be ok.

good luck and im sure ull get good advice here

·
Registered
174 Posts
Congratulations on your new puppy!

I'm certainly no expert, but our now 10 week old puppy was really uncomfortable with the divider in his crate. As soon as we took it out, he could stretch out comfortably and really enjoys sleeping in there. We've had him for two weeks and he has not pottied once in his crate and sleeps through the night without a peep. The crate is for adult dogs up to 60 pounds-LOL!

It's important to be prepared, but being prepared for things not to go according to plan is just as important :) Good luck! We will look forward to hearing all about her and how things are going!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Only thing I would add is that Riley cried in his crate the first few nights and would NOT sleep. We often had to go down and sit with him and when we tried to go back upstairs, if he heard us he would start to cry again.

We have an electric fence too and I believe we put it in and started training him on it when he was about 4 months give or take.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hum

Man... I hope that my puppy will sleep in her crate without a peep. Bodzin wouldn't shut up until we let him sleep in our room on the floor.

I just am worried about 7 hours during the day with no potty break.

·
Registered
80 Posts
crates are the best things in the world :lol: before the crate molly did not sleep a wink on her own!!

it took us a week to get her in a seperate room sleeping in her crate.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
well about the work schedule...we made daily lunch trips home until Dex was 6 mos old...he really couldn't hold it more than 4 hrs until he was older. Is there anyone who could let her out mid day?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Regarding leaving the puppy for long periods....I've heard of people puppy proofing a small room and putting down a housebreaking pad on a section of the floor. This way the puppy has a little play space and a place to potty and they may be more willing to go in their crate at night since they're not there all day. I haven't tried this myself, but thought I'd offer it up as an alternative :) Good luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
For long periods of time (while you're at work) I would suggest getting an X-pen and putting pee-pee pads in one section of the pen. I set one up in the living room and since the area was carpeted I bought a cheap roll of linoleum and cut it to fit the area of the X=pen (about 4 x 4 feet) with a bunch of toys and water. I didn't want him crated all day long while I was at work and one of my neighbors came in during the middle of the day to play with him. At night, he slept in his crate until he was about 5 months old. That way I could sleep at peace through the night without worrying if he was wandering around peeing/destroying things.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have no idea on the puppy stuff...

But we have a friend who's nickname is "Breezy" (short for Brianna)...
I thought it was kinda cute, lol!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Oh - I would definitely feed them separately. Your puppy will probably be on different food from Bozdin at first. I would suggest feeding your puppy in her crate so she thinks it's a good place. For chew toys - Dexter loved his Nylabone keys at that age.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just got my 8 week old on Sunday - I find he can hold it for about 2-3 hour max... when I left him in the kennel for a little longer when I went to work for a bit yesterday he did have an accident in his kennel (which we just ignored of course). Since we got the pup I have been working mornings from home and then going to work in the afternoon and coming back after about 2-3 hours to let him out or bring him back to work with me.

My guy still cries whenever we put him in the crate especially at night sometimes 15 minutes sometimes 30 minutes sometimes more (my husband now sleeps in the other room cause he can't take it) - and the pups crate is by my bed. My guy wakes up every 2-3 hours in the night and starts whining again - I just take him outside to use the bathroom (and he always goes) and then put him back in the crate - I am not sure though what others would recommend on this. SHOULD I IGNORE HIS CRYING WHEN HE WAKES UP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT - OR CONTINUE TO TAKE HIM OUTSIDE TO GET BUSY??

I have started feeding him in the crate and would definitely recommend this - right now I don't close the door yet.... at first I left a trail of the food to encourage him to go in and now I just let him see me put the bowl in the kennel.... he doesn't love the kennel yet so he goes in and eats for a bit then comes out for a second and then goes back for more etc etc...

I switched to Canidae Life Stages so that my two dogs are on the same food which makes it easier because my beagle would definitely try to food switcharoo....and the Canidae was alot higher quality food than what they both were on previously).

Good luck with the new pup...I bought some ligament chews that I find keep my pup busiest the longest - and he does love the teddy that the breeder gave him as it has the mom and rest of the litters scent on it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Oh and as for puppy pads etc... with our first dog we started with puppy pads which was a diaster because he would rip them up and destroy them and make a big mess for us to clean up when we got home (and obviously he was not peeing on his puppy pads when we were gone)..... we ended up litter training him and once the litter training was under control we also introduced grass and now he is happy using either. When he was young and we had to be gone for too long to crate him we would leave him in the bathroom and leave his litter box in there so he could take care of business himself... this worked well for us. My beagle is now 2 years old and uses both grass/outdoors or the litter whichever is available. He comes to work with us so it is nice that he can just use the litterbox (which he had to custom make when he got older so that it was big enough) when he needs to go - and we don't have to worry about him. And then in the evenings he goes outside in the grass/outdoors on his walk.

With our new guy we automatically started him with the littertraining and he took to it right away as the scents are there so it triggers him to know to pee when he is in there....we live in a condo so this works well for us as the pup needs to go out quite a bit (but we move into our house in May). It has not even been a week and after our pup wakes up, we just open the deck door and he goes running and jumps into the litterbox to take care of business already.

I plan to bring the pup to our cabin next weekend so that he can also start getting used to going outside on the grass too...

We use Yesterdays News (which is a compressed newspaper product) for the litter which you can buy at most petstores I believe (we buy it at Petsmart). It is more like pellets than the grainy cat litter.

Just an idea if puppy pads don't work for you like they didn't work for me :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts