Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran into my first labradoodle about 5 years ago and always thought one would make a great pet.

When we found ourselves with a young daughter and wanting a new pup, I went straight to the doodle.

I contacted breeders, told them about us, explained we didn't care gender or color, but temperament was critical.

I found what I thought was a great breeder. They allocated a pup to us.

I was worried right of the bat about this little guy's temperament.

Here's what I am seeing:

--he does not approach us, or wag his tail happy to see us
--he does not follow
--if I put him in a room, he will not leave it. He stays in that room, usually laying down in the spot I put him.
--when he exits his crate, he goes off to sit by himself, rather than seek us out
--when I approach him, he freezes or sometimes runs away
--he seem disinterested in us

He's not all bad: he's very quiet, easy and gentle. He likes our other dog and our daughter. He's not afraid of her. He doesn't sit and cower. And of course, he's a cute little bugger.

When I told the breeder about my concerns, I was made to feel like WE had done something wrong with the pup and that this was all our fault. I felt insulted and hurt.

What do you all think of this dog's temperament?

We are going back and forth between returning him to the breeder or keeping him.

I will say that I've had many dogs and worked with fine breeders of champion dogs and this experience with this doodle breeder has been the most disappointing ever and has left a bad taste in my mouth.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Have you had him checked out by your vet? What does the vet say? How long has the puppy been with you?

I am interested to know these things because we had a bad experience with our first labradoodle a year ago and she ended up with seizures and finally died from them. I now think that there were signs when we first got her but since we had never had a labradoodle we were not sure.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
How old is your puppy???? Have you tried cuddling and kissing him and in a sing song voice telling him what a good puppy he is? Dogs somehow seem to pick up on their 'people's' feelings....does he seem to want to play at all? I'm sorry you're going thru this with him...I hope your stiuation improves..he may not be feeling good, he may be the shy one of the litter, it could be a number of things...he may have even had a bad experience at the breeders, and is afraid of big people! I myself vote for keeping him, and working with him...he is at a maleable age, and should improve...I'm curious as to what others might think....
Good luck and please keep us posted! BTW...what's his name?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
annieG said:
Have you had him checked out by your vet? What does the vet say? How long has the puppy been with you?

I am interested to know these things because we had a bad experience with our first labradoodle a year ago and she ended up with seizures and finally died from them. I now think that there were signs when we first got her but since we had never had a labradoodle we were not sure.
The vet hasn't seen him yet. I brought him home Tues.

I also found metal sutures in his belly from his early neuter? It's above his pee pee? The breeder failed to tell me about these sutures, as well.

This is a breeder in california...she has dogs from Tegan and Rutland...miniature australian multi gens. I paid $2,500 for this pup.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Raleighsmom said:
How old is your puppy???? Have you tried cuddling and kissing him and in a sing song voice telling him what a good puppy he is? Dogs somehow seem to pick up on their 'people's' feelings....does he seem to want to play at all? I'm sorry you're going thru this with him...I hope your stiuation improves..he may not be feeling good, he may be the shy one of the litter, it could be a number of things...he may have even had a bad experience at the breeders, and is afraid of big people! I myself vote for keeping him, and working with him...he is at a maleable age, and should improve...I'm curious as to what others might think....
Good luck and please keep us posted! BTW...what's his name?
He's 10 wks old, and no he doesn't seem to want to play much. Yes, we cuddle and snuggle and I take him where ever we are in the house. Lots of encouragment and "good boys!"

According to the breeder, he was just fine with her, not timid at all.

He does seem more afraid of big people....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, his name is Harley.

I have a trainer/behaviorist coming to look at him today. I'll post his thoughts after I speak to him.

Maybe I shouldn't be complaining about how mellow he is after reading all your posts about your crazy puppies, but he's more like a stuffed animal than a puppy. He literally just sits most of the time.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I would definately have him see the vet.
After that maybe just a liitle more time needed
to adjust to his new home. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Keep up what you are doing and Kathie gave you great ideas,
singing to him etc. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
It sounds to me like your pup is sick or depressed. In my litter of 12 not ONE acts like that at all. It truly is not typical for a Labradoodle puppy.

I'd head off to the vet and see if there's a medical reason... that would be my first guess. Especially if the pup still has sutures! I'm so sorry you're having such a tough time with this. This should be a happy, fun time with a new pup.

I'd be carting him off to the vet asap. I'm assuming for that price you got a health guarantee? I offer 5 business days to get the pup examined and I only charge $500 per pup! It sounds like that one needs to be seen.

Good luck! Again, I'm so sorry! Truly, yours is a rare situation. My pups are thrilled to see EVERYONE!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
hi, I'm a little concerned...maybe just feeling your disapointment. And I NEVER like hearing that someone felt it was put on them, by a breeder!

To start with, I do not 'allocate' a puppy....my long distance clients, just like my local ones....all CHOOSE their own puppy.

If you just got your puppy Tuesday there could be a bit of adjustment happening. And this might go away nicely in a few days if you keep comforting and offering love.

The sutres ABOVE/IN FRONT OF your puppy's 'pee pee' sound like they might be for an umbilical hernia. No big deal, but again, as a breeder I would tell you that we were going to treat this at the same time as ESN (fi I did ESN) or in my case I would suggest you talk to my vet, or yours, or both, and discuss having it stitched at the time of neutering, making the most of the anesthesia.

Hope this helps! I hope you go with your heart and have NO REGRET either way!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Chicky Monkey said:
I also found metal sutures in his belly from his early neuter? It's above his pee pee? The breeder failed to tell me about these sutures, as well.
This sounds wrong to me. My puppy was also an early neuter but there is no "evidence" of it. In fact, the stitches should not be on his belly. Perhaps the dog also had a hernia? This is not uncommon but it should have been disclosed.

Please get the puppy to the vet for a check up ASAP.

I can understand your concerns and your disappointment with the breeder.

Deb

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Hi,

I really don't have any advice (besides going to the vet), but I really hope your puppy is ok. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Years ago when we were looking for a Great Dane puppy our vet recommended a local breeder. When we went to his house the dog (about four months old) was lying in the kitchen by the cabinets. She had no interest in us at all. She seemed completely unsocialized and not tuned in to people. The breeder kept saying that this was unusual for her and perhaps she just wasn't comfortable being in the kitchen, where she normally wasn't allowed. Later I realized that all his pups were kept in a kennel together outside; I suspect no socialization had occurred at all. We said, "No, thanks!" and left. The Great Dane puppy that we ended up with was the dearest, most affectionate creature who loved being near us; she had been bottle-fed and had gotten tons of attention, and it showed.

Unless there's something physically wrong with your pup to explain his lethargy and disinterest, I'd return him. What a shame and what a heartbreaker!

Please let us know what the professionals you consult think!

Leslie

G

·
Maya came from Canada and I picked her up at the Cleveland airport. I had to pull her out of her cage the poor thing was scared I think. My Dad went with me to get her and drove so I sat in the back with Maya and cuddled her. I took her to the vet 3hrs later and he was amazed at how much she watched me and would "check in" with me before she would go to him. She was kinda mellow the first couple days I had her but she was always right by my side. Maybe the mellowness is just the adjustment unitl he figures out his new house but having no interest in people I am not sure about. Maybe he just needs a little more time. I would definately take him to the vet just to make sure all is well.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Chickey Monkey...wow sounds like your little doodle has been through alot : new family,, surrounds, new people , another dog and early neuter etc

how long have you had him?

also I would CALL the vet ....he could be sick like others stated.
i also have seen this before in puppies, i even saw once with round worms that acted similar....point is you little guy may be tring to tell you he isn't feeling up to par.
so to be on the safe side get him checked out

i tend to get nervous when a puppy doesn't act excited etc

keep us posted

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will call the vet first thing Monday morning.

The dog behaviorist didn't seem too worried. He did say he was very, very calm, and somewhat disinterested in people. He said he may have a hard time bonding with us.

I think we'll keep him and work with him. I've been giving him lots of love and encouragement, and asked the trainer for individual classes when he turns 16 wks old to help work with him.

He really is a sweet, sweet dog...I've just never seen a dog so mellow before!

I'll let you all know what the vet says!

Thanks, everyone!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
No advise here either except going to the vet. I'm sorry to hear you had an unpleasant experiene with your pups breeder :(

Welcome to you and Harley, be sure to post some pics !

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Welcome Chicky Monkey and Harley. Marley says HI to Harley!! :lol:

And we are glad to hear you are gonna stick with and work with Harley. See what the vet says too, but I say just smother him with attention and love, and then with more of the same. He just may have a little trouble getting acclimated to you and/or his new surroundings. Hopefully he will come around.

Good luck and we hope you are posting with Harley and us a long time!!!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Because it has the word Monkey in it and if
you read through some of the wacky posts today you will see
babhahahahahaaa!!!!!!!!

And it just has a nice ring to it...... I love to say it
Chicky Monkey Chicky Monkey, it sounds very nice
and no to all of you I have not been drinking today,
just in a goofy mood

1 - 20 of 39 Posts