Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, we just introduced a new member to our household. A little cream-colored, 6 month old, girl named Ginny.

Things are going relatively well. The typical challenges with housetraining, getting into things she's not supposed to be in, etc.

She is more timid than most puppies I've experienced. After reading many posts, it appears that it is the norm for doodles to get over this with patience and time.

I do have a question about bathing which I can see will be a challenge with her cream-colored coat. She showed up at our house last Friday so shiny and clean, but she's gotten progressively dirtier and more smelly over the past few days. It is December and her favorite thing seems to be rolling in wet leaves in the back yard.

We have yet to bathe her as she was altered last week and we won't be able to give her a bath until the stiches are out.

Any tips for freshening up a doodle in between baths?
Do those wipes that you can buy at the pet store work?
How do the light colored doodle owners out there get their puppies shiney and light again?

It's been great reading the forums over the past few months. I must say this forum and the enthusiastic owners in it were instrumental in our decision to get our little Ginny.

Regards,
Andrea

P.S. - I posted some photos over in the galleries.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Your Ginny is so cute. We too have a new doodle 4 1/2 months, cream color. So far it is so cold in Utah that the snow is very hard and Tanner has stayed clean. I loved reading about your new pup. We have had Tanner for just 3 days and every day is a new adventure. You can see pictures of Tanner on Stories about doodles under new member annieG.

I hope you will continue to write about your adventures with your new pup.

Happy Holidays,

annieG

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hi ginny is a doll!!!!! I love creams but do NOT know a thing about keeping them clean
(max is blacker than night)

movistar and kim
when you go to
http://labradoodle-dogs.net/gallery/ keep scrolling down to the bottom of the page
there's a heading called: Last additons

Ginny's dollbaby is right there :D

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hi Andrea and welcome!

You're Ginny sure is cute

I also have a cream baby - 4 1/2 months old. As you can imagine, I feel your pain regarding dirty doodles, as our vet suggested to keep bathing down to once a month. He feels bathing too frequently might irritate her skin. With each rain especially, Lexi can become a little mud fur-ball! She needs a "freshening up" between baths (to say the least) , as it rains much more frequently than once a month.

So i am quite interested to find out the answer to your question about the available wipes, deoderants etc. I have not tried any of them as yet.

So how about it doodle lovers, are any of the products worth a try?

Maddie

·
Registered
853 Posts
Thanks Annmarie. Boy, do I feel dumb. :shock: And, thanks movistar for making it even easier! :D

Ginny IS adorable!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We bought some doggie deoderant at the vet yesterday. They had some kind of Christmas based line of scents. We selected mint chocolate. I brushed her out and sprayed her with the scent. (She didn't care for either of these activities!)

She smells so much better. She's still getting dingy, but no more pee smell.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
evervescent...did you check Ginny's ears too?

For us, the smell we thought was doggy smell was that Max had a yeast infection in his ears. we have cream from the vet but I also weekly wash out his ears with 1/3vinegar to 2/3water.

I also use a special shampoo at the vets that is oatmeal based....Max loves to roll in deer poop...oh know what? I have to go upstairs to get the name of it and post it in a short while.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, the vet checked her ears and gave us some drops. She's scratches them all the time.

He actually instructed us to put a few drops of peroxide in her ears every week and give them a good rub. He also recommended having the hair in her ears pulled. That must be controversial because one of the few things our breeder was adament about was not having the hair in her ears pulled.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
evervescent
I know of afew std poodle breeders that tweeze the inside hair in their poodles ears weekly.

I just make sure Max's ears are cleaned weekly and check them every 3 days. so far so good...no more yeast infections

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I don't believe in plucking their ear hair...but many people do, so you are right it is in debate. My dogs do fine with their ear hair...you do have to be sure to clean their ears and keep them dry...there is a product you can get to clean the ears and then the second product that actually goes in as a gel and dries to a powder to keep it clean...plus it smells good...cant' recall the brand but it has a picture of a collie on the label.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Otto is apricot cream, is 9 months old and has not had a bath. I clean him daily with wipes and brush him daily, he has no doggy smell and is lovely and clean. When the weather is wet and dirty I towel him with a hot towel soaked in water then dry him off, this is all that he needs.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ginny had her first bath with us today. It went really well. She didn't seem to mind at all. And the water that ran off of her was positively brown. She dryed up nice and fluffy.

Then we took her in for some shots and the vet pulled some of the hair in her ears. It was a very smelly process.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts