Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -
I have lurked on this forum since May and finally decided to join. The information and pictures shared have been an enjoyable daily read for me and I finally came up with something I need advice on.

We have two 11 month old doodles - F1, siblings girls, Kia is black and Emmy is cream. They are crate trained, fun, smart and a real pleasure. The problem we can't seem to solve is that Emmy "paws" at us unexpectedly (like if you commanded "shake" but it is like a strike) causing a painful scratch down the length of your leg. (She also pawed the screen on the front door and cut holes in it when a neighbor came to visit.) She does like to jump up and I am working on that but the pawing is most annoying. I say "off" or "down" which she knows but to take her front paw and place it on the ground and say "no" isn't getting it.

Any suggestions and/or what causes this behavior? Thanks.

·
Registered
424 Posts
We are having the same issue with our labradoodle. She paws for attention. For example, if someone comes in and does not pet her, she will sit there expectantly in front of them. If she doesn't get the attention she thinks she deserves, she will paw at the person. She did that to a customer in our shop yesterday and pawed right where he felt it the most! Everyone laughed, including him, but really that is unacceptable behaviour. I will follow this thread to see what advice is offered to correct this behaviour.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
This is a poodle trait and can mean agression or submission depends on the dog.

To me it isn't an easy thing to break them of, Johnson does it and he is 4 I've never been able to break him I just know to watch for that huge paw coming my way! I know this ins't the answer you wanted I have done a lot of training but just never ask about this issue other than why they do it and she told me agression or submission thing. Hopefully someone will come back and answer this for you soon.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max is NOW the "submissive" PAW man.When I lean down to talk to him in a nice way, he sits, gives the "i know mom, i am sorry" look and paws politely.

Though he did try to PAW in the past for attention. I did the treat thing and a firm no...about 2000 times i might add :roll:

WHAT about using TREATS to train them for NO PAW??? then work toward no treats? This is just a suggestion as many of max's "TRIALS "with us were broken this way and he was also taught to "HUSH" (no barking) when asked by me.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
That's so funny...Dexter has been doing the pawing for a few weeks now. We may have caused this by teaching him how to shake (with both paws) and how to give us a high five :oops: Now I don't know if he's trying to paw at things for attention, or is trying to give us a shake or a high five so he gets a treat. Maybe we should work on other tricks for awhile.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pawing

I have a new 4 1/2 month old Labradoodle, Chuey, he has started to paw a lot too. I can't figure out how to stop him. When children are around his paws can get them in their face.
I'll stay on to see if there is any other advice.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
One of the tips I can give is (this works with Sarah) not to give them what they want when they paw at you. Sarah usually wants attention when she paws, and we ignore her until we decide we want to pet her (when she doesn't paw at us). We tell her no, then move away from her. I don't imagine this will work with a pup though. Sarah's going on 6 yrs. Cinnamon (the doodle) doesn't have this habbit, and I'm so thankful! Sarah has slowed down at the pawing, but she will still do it. It's the way she gets attention at home, even though her owners are anoyed with it too. They're gone a lot so they feel guilty and give the attention to her. Sarah is smart enough to know what she can and can't do at our house.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
yes, ignoring them by walking awa does help.
Lately, Max paws at a distance . Meaning he stands there and paws the air instead of us hahhahaha i'll take that.

I do know DOODLES hate being ignore or what I also call the silent treatment. it works on teenagers too.

thus, silence is golden (at times)

NOW let's see when Peanut comes home to us if this works with her!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts