Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

We are picking up our puppy tomorrow. She'll be 7 weeks old. We plan to do the crate training, and the clicker training, and get her enrolled in puppy socialization classes in August. We plan to take her everywhere with us! Does anyone have any hints or suggestions on how to make these first few weeks as easy as possible, both for us and Kenai?

Thanks!

Cathy

·
Registered
689 Posts
Welcome to the Doodle-addiction! What is her name.
My only suggestions are patience and a sense of humor...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wow, isn't 7 weeks awefully young for a puppy to leave it's mom? I thought 8 weeks was the youngest allowed by law?

I hope everything goes well and you have a wonderful time with your new family member!

·
Registered
294 Posts
We got our labradoodle at 7 weeks, he was fine and ate solids. My husband and I did shifts, we had our doodle trained in 10 weeks. I put him out every hour for wees and as soon as he ate. We got up at 5 am each morning to put him out after last wee or poo 12 pm. now he goes to 7.30am and never has an accident, he is a clean pup, but you need to have patience

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
here in CO the state law is that puppies shouldn't be placed in homes before 8wks but I have heard of some placing at 7wks. I like to see the puppies stay in the litter until 8 personally, so that's when I release our puppies, even tho I'm not licensed and legally I'm just a "hobby" breeder.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
In Ks. it is also the law to keep the pups until they are 8 wks of age. Some hunters are adamant about getting their puppies on that 49th day and will not buy a puppy unless they can get it right then, 7 wks or no puppy.

My puppies are weaned from momma by 7 wks of age but I think they still have a lot to learn from their littermates.

I guess the only advise I have to give you is just be sure you let Kenai always know you are the alpha.

Good luck and have fun with your new puppy :D

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Cathy, welcome...
We got our two Labradoodles when they were 7 weeks old too...I didn't know, then, that 8 weeks was the normal time to get them and, frankly, they did fine with us...although we did get two so they had a litter mate to learn from. Although I wouldn't sell my puppies at such an early age, still, I am certain that you can take good care of Kenai and that she will be happy in your home.
There will be things that come up as you go along, and when they do please feel free to write in...until then, I just suggest that you read as much as you can, that you take her to the vet right away, and that you give her lots of love! Everything will be great!

Maureen...you keep referring to yourself as a hobby breeder because you are not licensed...well, I am here to tell you that you don't need to classify your program as a hobby...you spend a LOT of money and time on your dogs, you offer support and health warranties and you are doing everything that a responsible breeder would do...so, in my book...you are not in any way a "back yard breeder"....just wanted to clear that up... :wink:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
http://labradoodle-dogs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1973
EVERYONE, PLEASE READ JACQUE'S POST (above)
Thank you Jac, I do think there's a muddying of things when labels are attached to breeders based on the size. Poodle breeders said I was going to be a "backyard" breeder, (before knowing me) because I planned to breed our one and only (at the time) Standard Poodle. And it was a derrogatory term, but perhaps I was naively thinking it referred to the SIZE of my breeding program.

If "backyard breeder" is a euphamism for IRRESPONSIBLE breeder then yes, it doesn't apply to me. I have no problem with that. And who is going to call themselves irresponsible? But yes, there certainly are people with as many, more or less puppies than me who are less expensive, and, dare I say it, less responsible.

thanks Jac.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We've had Kenai two days now, and she is wonderful puppy. She follows us everwhere we go, and her little tail is wagging all the time. She has already learned that she does her "business" outside. She slept 6 hours in her crate last night. However, I woke up all the time worried about her!! She is eating well, no loose stools, and plays with toys. Our vet is my brother in law, and he gave her a clean bill of health yesterday.

I have really learned a lot from this forum and will continue to post. I thank you all for sharing your experiences with your doodles!

Cathy

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Cathy, I am very happy for you! Sounds like you have a perfectly lovely puppy...and how great for you both to have a vet in the family!

I can't wait to see pictures of little Kenai!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, Kenai has lost her shyness and is an energetic ball of black fur! I now understand what everyone says about the "mouthing". We are constantly offering toys and other appropriate distractions to her instead of our hands, feet, ears, nose, hair, etc!! Those little puppy teeth are sharp!

One question, do you all wet down the food? Kenai has been whimpering while eating, and I'm thinking it might be because the food is hard. I served her breakfast after softening the kibbles with some water, and she seemed to like it that way just fine.

Thanks!

Cathy

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi Cathy :) Do you know if her breeder had been feeding her dry kibble?
Kenai should be able to eat dry kibble just fine but if she isn't use to eating dry, she just may be having a little trouble adjusting. Check her mouth and make sure there isn't any sores or anything that might be making her mouth sore when she eats and if you don't see anything, then just give her a little time to adjust to the new feed. Have you had her to the vets yet to get checked over after you got her? If not, you might mention it to your vet and have him look her over realy good. Sounds like she is adjusting real well to her new home otherwise :D

·
Registered
424 Posts
When we first brough our pup home she had a hard time with the dry kibble too. She would gobble it down really fast, then heave it all back up all over the floor! We started wetting it down with water and giving her smaller amounts at time and that fixed the problem.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Sounds like she is doing wonderfully!

Certainly, if wetting her kibble will be easier for her to eat, I'd do it. You can always slowly put in less water until she is eating it dry...or during her feedings wet the food, and use the dry as a snack.

Di, of course, is right on with her advice...be sure to mention this to your vet. Sometimes a dog/puppy gets a small piece of wood or bone or something caught in their teeth and causes pain. You should be having a vet appointment soon anyway for shots, so ask then...but if the behavior continues, you might want to take her in earlier.

My puppies prefer their food wet when they are small...I also have found a small bites food that all of my dogs eat better than the larger kibble (even the adults.) It isn't the best brand for quality, but my picky dogs love it and so I figure that since they eat it and won't eat others...I use it! (Science Diet)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts